PDA

View Full Version : What's your worst fear?

Death Wizard
01-03-2008, 04:17 AM
This is one of those just-curious things. I turned 50 a couple of months ago, and up until my mid-30s, I had no claustrophobia whatsoever. But for reasons I cannot discern, claustrophobia has crept up on me. And now, I can forget about ever crawling into caves again. This got me wondering how many others out there might suffer from claustrophobia (fear of confined places), acrophobia (fear of heights), aerophobia (fear of flying), or agoraphobia (fear of public or specific places). I know there are plenty of others, but I was going to limit it to just these.

Which of these four scares you the worst? Or do none of them bother you at all?

(Sorry, I misspelled agoraphobia in the poll.)

Devil Ledbetter
01-03-2008, 04:18 AM
Plumbing scares me.

truelyana
01-03-2008, 04:19 AM
Nothing bothers me at all. I've conquered fear itself. ;)

scarletpeaches
01-03-2008, 04:20 AM
I'm not scared of anything except the thought of living my entire life without knowing what love feels like.

truelyana
01-03-2008, 04:21 AM
I'm not scared of anything except the thought of living my entire life without knowing what love feels like.

How do you know you've not come across it yet?

melaniehoo
01-03-2008, 04:22 AM
I voted for claustrophobia, but the first thing that came to mind before reading the poll was fear of drowning. Since all the planes I seem to take lately go over water, we can add fear of flying. I don't let either limit me, though.

The claustrophobia is rough when you're short and find yourself in a tight crowd - there's no air below six feet!

scarletpeaches
01-03-2008, 04:23 AM
How do you know you've not come across it yet?

Uh...because I'd know.

It's like asking someone "How do you know you've had an orgasm?" You just know.

truelyana
01-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Uh...because I'd know.

Fair enough. ;)

ZannaPerry
01-03-2008, 04:26 AM
claustrophobia scares the crap out of me.

TrainofThought
01-03-2008, 04:27 AM
The first three scare me, but the worst is Aerophobia.

truelyana
Uh...because I'd know.

Or you may not know, and just respond or give meaning to what you think it's like.

nerds
I'm too old to be afraid of much of anything, really.

I have an odd claustrophobia thing but I suspect it maybe comes from my brother locking me in our scary cellar or something when I was little. Don't really know. I'm fine in the classic elevator scenario, but I can't be in public parking garages or other places with very low ceilings, I feel trapped. If I'm bunched up reallyreally tight with people that's not so hot either, tight rooms and tight crowds. I don't panic, but I do exit asap.

Other than that, not really. I've been through lots of scary stuff, you use your head, come out the other side and you're still there, so no worries anymore.

melaniehoo
01-03-2008, 04:28 AM

I have an odd claustrophobia thing but I suspect it maybe comes from my brother locking me in our scary cellar or something when I was little. Don't really know. I'm fine in the classic elevator scenario, but I can't be in public parking garages or other places with very low ceilings. If I'm bunched up reallyreally tight with people that's not so hot either, tight rooms and tight crowds. I don't panic, but I do exit asap.

Other than that, not really. I've been through lots of scary stuff, you use your head, come out the other side and you're still there, so no worries anymore.

My claustrophobia comes from my brother too! He would hold me under water till I stopped moving - I learned very quickly the sooner I stopped struggling, the sooner he'd let me up. Now I'm messed up.

ZannaPerry
01-03-2008, 04:32 AM
I always watch the history channel and they had this segment about medaevil (?) times and how they would torture the thieves, murderers, etc....some would shove them in a very tiny cement cell and leave them there for days, weeks, with nothing to eat, with hardly any light. I just lose my breath every time I think about it... :(

truelyana
01-03-2008, 04:35 AM
My own understanding from, what I have discovered through my own progress and reflective journey...These stories, in our childhood about people doing things to us, are part of a physiological reverse system inprinted in our memories, to make the mind work like that.(Think of a clock) The build up of the fear of it, being linked to the moment once created, is not as real as it sounds. Once you understand and learn the mechanics of it, by taking it apart you will learn to let go of the attachment. There is nothing to be scared of, as your the one that's creating it mentally through the projection of your memories.

melaniehoo
01-03-2008, 04:38 AM
I understand exactly what's going on and why I have the fear. It's just like shots - I'm no longer scared of them because I've convinced myself of their medical necessity, blah blah, but I still pass out every time a needle touches me.

scarletpeaches
01-03-2008, 04:38 AM
Or you may not know, and just respond or give meaning to what you think it's like.

Or, you may think you know other people better than they know themselves, and just come off patronising.

I've never been in love. Just take it as read that I'm better placed to make that statement than you are to contradict it.

truelyana
01-03-2008, 04:43 AM
Or, you may think you know other people better than they know themselves, and just come off patronising.

I've never been in love. Just take it as read that I'm better placed to make that statement than you are to contradict it.

I was making a general comment. :) It's good to question, makes people think.

Silver King
01-03-2008, 04:47 AM
I ain't a'scared of nuthin' but rats. Seriously. You could lower me into a snake pit or even a den of lions, and I might yawn at the prospect. But get me near a rat's nest, and I'll jump back so fast you'll find me three counties away, still running and screaming.

III
01-03-2008, 04:47 AM
Heights. Don't even like seeing the word.

Death Wizard
01-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Uh...because I'd know.

HA!!!

nerds
01-03-2008, 04:48 AM
My claustrophobia comes from my brother too! He would hold me under water till I stopped moving - I learned very quickly the sooner I stopped struggling, the sooner he'd let me up. Now I'm messed up.

Okay, your brother was way worse than mine. No wonder you fear drowning, that's awful. I had a bunch of brothers, only one of them was not the nicest person at times. He did like to lock me in the cellar which, dingdingding was built in 1765, had a very low ceiling and a burner not unlike the one in Home Alone I. A living thing, in my child's mind.

One thing I don't fear is death. I want to get lots of mileage yet here on earth, lots and lots, but several years ago I was in an accident, died briefly, and learned about the trip you take. It was amazing. No fears there - I just want to make the most of things before I do go.

Death Wizard
01-03-2008, 04:49 AM

Did you see the last King Kong movie? The end of that one'll make you squirm.

Death Wizard
01-03-2008, 04:50 AM
I ain't a'scared of nuthin' but rats. Seriously. You could lower me into a snake pit or even a den of lions, and I might yawn at the prospect. But get me near a rat's nest, and I'll jump back so fast you'll find me three counties away, still running and screaming.

How about squirrels?

William Haskins
01-03-2008, 04:51 AM
the inhumanity of humanity.

scarletpeaches
01-03-2008, 04:51 AM
How about squirrels?

Or an overweight, bucktoothed mouse?

joyce
01-03-2008, 04:57 AM
The first thing that entered my mind when I saw this was a fear of burning to death and cockroaches. From the poll I would have to pick Aerophobia since I have no desire to fly. I like my feet planted on the ground. I could have snakes, lizards, frogs or anything else crawl all over my body......but one cockroach makes me want to scream. Go figure....I live in Florida. It's funny because I've noticed I seem to have more phobias since I've gotten older (50 in May). I feel better knowing I'm not the only one out there that's noticed something like this. I'm more cautious than I was years ago. I thought I was just going a bit further over the edge.

TrainofThought
01-03-2008, 04:57 AM
I ain't a'scared of nuthin' but rats. Seriously. You could lower me into a snake pit or even a den of lions, and I might yawn at the prospect. But get me near a rat's nest, and I'll jump back so fast you'll find me three counties away, still running and screaming.Does it make you run screaming and crying like a little girl?

I’m a germaphobic.

Silver King
01-03-2008, 05:00 AM
How about squirrels?

Or an overweight, bucktoothed mouse?
Both of those qualify, but not quite as bad as rats.

The worst film scene I've ever witnessed was in 1984, when the character's head was placed inside a cage with hungry...

Even though I closed my eyes, I still have nightmares about that movie.

JoNightshade
01-03-2008, 05:02 AM
I've got two fears, but neither of them seriously bother me for 99% of my life.

1) Being restrained against my will. This means anyone holding me, grabbing my hand, whatever, in such a way that I am physically unable to get free. I will flip out and injure myself in an attempt to get out. I know I have this fear because of an incident when I was younger where roughhousing escalated into me being bound with ropes well past the point where I was freaking out. The only times this has affected me were when I took jiu jitsu and got matched up against someone who put me in a choke hold and pinned both arms so I could not tap out, and when I first got married. We had to define our boundaries clearly, and I have to work on trust. :)

2) Fear of choking to death. Does this have a name? There was a little joke on the show 30 Rock about how a single woman's greatest fear is choking to death while living alone. I choke very easily and every once in a while I have a serious choking moment. Right now I'm sick and last night I couldn't stop coughing, so finally I tried a cough drop-- and ended up with it jammed in my throat. I swallowed REALLY HARD and managed to get it down, but I'll be constantly flashing back to that moment for the next few weeks. :)

joyce
01-03-2008, 05:04 AM
I ain't a'scared of nuthin' but rats.

Now you're making me want to tell the sickest rat story you'll probably ever hear..........but I won't. You're a nice guy and I don't want to make you sick for a month or worse, get banned.

Silver King
01-03-2008, 05:06 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_169.gif Does it make you run screaming and crying like a little girl?
You don't how close I was to deleting that little rodent until I realized I'm a champion of free expression, no matter how much it hurts me. ;)

nerds
01-03-2008, 05:09 AM
I sometimes have Fishophobia . . .

http://images.onlinegalleries.com/gfx/43327.jpg

robeiae
01-03-2008, 05:10 AM
I fear change.

JoNightshade
01-03-2008, 05:10 AM
Oh man, I forgot the worst one:

SUNFISH.

Seriously. ::Shudder::

truelyana
01-03-2008, 05:12 AM
I sometimes have Fishophobia . . .

http://images.onlinegalleries.com/gfx/43327.jpg

That's cute. :) :LilLove:

Death Wizard
01-03-2008, 05:12 AM
The first thing that entered my mind when I saw this was a fear of burning to death and cockroaches. From the poll I would have to pick Aerophobia since I have no desire to fly. I like my feet planted on the ground. I could have snakes, lizards, frogs or anything else crawl all over my body......but one cockroach makes me want to scream. Go figure....I live in Florida. It's funny because I've noticed I seem to have more phobias since I've gotten older (50 in May). I feel better knowing I'm not the only one out there that's noticed something like this. I'm more cautious than I was years ago. I thought I was just going a bit further over the edge.

Everyone and everything -- except maybe fully grown great white sharks -- are afraid of the cockroaches that live in Florida.

Silver King
01-03-2008, 05:13 AM
Now you're making me want to tell the sickest rat story you'll probably ever hear..........but I won't. You're a nice guy and I don't want to make you sick for a month...
Thank you, Joyce. It's good of you (unlike some people here!) to consider my weakness in your decision to refrain from agitating my delicate constitution. :)

robeiae
01-03-2008, 05:13 AM
That's cute. :) :LilLove:
That's SK's MIL...

Joke! Joke! Don't hurt me...

Death Wizard
01-03-2008, 05:14 AM
I've got two fears, but neither of them seriously bother me for 99% of my life.

1) Being restrained against my will. This means anyone holding me, grabbing my hand, whatever, in such a way that I am physically unable to get free. I will flip out and injure myself in an attempt to get out. I know I have this fear because of an incident when I was younger where roughhousing escalated into me being bound with ropes well past the point where I was freaking out. The only times this has affected me were when I took jiu jitsu and got matched up against someone who put me in a choke hold and pinned both arms so I could not tap out, and when I first got married. We had to define our boundaries clearly, and I have to work on trust. :)

2) Fear of choking to death. Does this have a name? There was a little joke on the show 30 Rock about how a single woman's greatest fear is choking to death while living alone. I choke very easily and every once in a while I have a serious choking moment. Right now I'm sick and last night I couldn't stop coughing, so finally I tried a cough drop-- and ended up with it jammed in my throat. I swallowed REALLY HARD and managed to get it down, but I'll be constantly flashing back to that moment for the next few weeks. :)

I think No. 1 is a cousin of claustrophobia, isn't it?

Jersey Chick
01-03-2008, 05:15 AM
oooh.... I hate being in small, teeny tiny spaces. I had to crawl under our house when we first moved in (to find a water valve for the fridge) and it was like I couldn't breathe. I'm that way in crowds and I hate elevators (I only take them when I have the baby in his stroller and I don't have a choice) even the glass ones make me feel all oooky. I think that's why I don't like to put my face in water, either. I'm a good swimmer, but I hate being under water for too long. Don't even like it on my face in the shower...

Death Wizard
01-03-2008, 05:16 AM
I fear change.

Ha! Then stay away from Buddhism.

melaniehoo
01-03-2008, 05:17 AM

You should read my blog post called Hairspray Ninja. It involves me and a 2-inch long cockroach I discovered on a midnight bathroom run.

GROSS!

SpookyWriter
01-03-2008, 05:17 AM
Getting remarried.

http://777denny.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/rosie-odonnell.jpg

Devil Ledbetter
01-03-2008, 05:18 AM
It's not heights that scare me. It's falling. Not even falling really, but the splat that follows.

Death Wizard
01-03-2008, 05:18 AM
oooh.... I hate being in small, teeny tiny spaces. I had to crawl under our house when we first moved in (to find a water valve for the fridge) and it was like I couldn't breathe. I'm that way in crowds and I hate elevators (I only take them when I have the baby in his stroller and I don't have a choice) even the glass ones make me feel all oooky. I think that's why I don't like to put my face in water, either. I'm a good swimmer, but I hate being under water for too long. Don't even like it on my face in the shower...

Have you ever had a closed MRI? The ones kind of shaped like coffins? I had one once after hurting my back, when they were checking to make sure there was no damage to the spine. It took all my will not to batter my way out of the thing like some sort of madman!

joyce
01-03-2008, 05:19 AM
Everyone and everything -- except maybe fully grown great white sharks -- are afraid of the cockroaches that live in Florida.

I've actually watched one eat aluminum foil and live. I'm convinced once humans destroy the earth they will still be around to clean up the mess. If I die and go to hell I bet I'll be put in a little room with my little friends.

Death Wizard
It's not heights that scare me. It's falling. Not even falling really, but the splat that follows.

You're right. The actual falling is fun.

nerds
Getting remarried.

http://777denny.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/rosie-odonnell.jpg

:ROFL:

TrainofThought
01-03-2008, 05:22 AM
You don't how close I was to deleting that little rodent until I realized I'm a champion of free expression, no matter how much it hurts me. ;)

Thank you, Joyce. It's good of you (unlike some people here!) to consider my weakness in your decision to refrain from agitating my delicate constitution. :)Okay. I'll be nice and I won't order a rat for you from the nearest Pet Store. I was even willing to pay for the cage. :Shrug: I'm guessing you'll run screaming like a little girl. ;)

billythrilly7th
01-03-2008, 05:24 AM
Herpes.

robeiae
01-03-2008, 05:24 AM
Space herpes?

Silver King
01-03-2008, 05:25 AM
That's SK's MIL...
A remarkable resemblance!

I think the one pictured is a Snake Head, found mostly in Thailand. Or it could be a piranha, for all I know.

Either way, it's preferable a thousand times over to a RAT!

Devil Ledbetter
01-03-2008, 05:38 AM
You're right. The actual falling is fun.Knowing the splat will quickly follow sucks all the fun out of it for me.

III
01-03-2008, 05:39 AM
Have you ever had a closed MRI? The ones kind of shaped like coffins? I had one once after hurting my back, when they were checking to make sure there was no damage to the spine. It took all my will not to batter my way out of the thing like some sort of madman!

Me too. Both my shoulders touched the sides and my nose was about two inches from the top. I'm having trouble breathing right now just typing this!

Silver King
01-03-2008, 05:40 AM
...I'm guessing you'll run screaming like a little girl. ;)
I'm not sure what I sound like when I run screaming. I'd like to think it's a full growl, an angry grizzly bear clearing a path through the wilderness, with trees felled left and right and the whole of wildlife hushed to a standstill. More than likely, it's a weak-throated appeal like a chipmunk hauling ass from danger.

robeiae
01-03-2008, 05:43 AM
Chipmunks can be very dangerous when provoked.

truelyana
01-03-2008, 05:45 AM
I'm not sure what I sound like when I run screaming. I'd like to think it's a full growl, an angry grizzly bear clearing a path through the wilderness, with trees felled left and right and the whole of wildlife hushed to a standstill. More than likely, it's a weak-throated appeal like a chipmunk hauling ass from danger.

That's quite a turn on. :D

truelyana
01-03-2008, 05:46 AM
Chipmunks can be very dangerous when provoked.

And easily stimulated.:D

robeiae
01-03-2008, 05:46 AM
That's quite a turn on. :DYou need to get out more.

No offense. ;)

Death Wizard
01-03-2008, 05:47 AM
Me too. Both my shoulders touched the sides and my nose was about two inches from the top. I'm having trouble breathing right now just typing this!

Yes! YES!!!

truelyana
01-03-2008, 05:49 AM
You need to get out more.

No offense. ;)

None taken. :) Hyptonising imagination. :)

Shady Lane
01-03-2008, 06:00 AM

Same!

Joycecwilliams
01-03-2008, 06:01 AM
I have 2 biggest fears...

The first fear is of a wild animal jumping from the backseat to the front of my car while I am driving. (This happened to me two times) Once it was a mouse.. the second time it was my puppy... but it scared the hell out of me.

The other fear is finding a dead and decomposing body while hiking... It always seem hikers discover the dead bodies...

Death Wizard
01-03-2008, 06:04 AM
And easily stimulated.:D

So that's why you're always screaming, Al-VIN!

SpookyWriter
01-03-2008, 06:07 AM
I have 2 biggest fears...

The first fear is of a wild animal jumping from the backseat to the front of my car while I am driving. (This happened to me two times) Once it was a mouse.. the second time it was my puppy... but it scared the hell out of me.

:roll:

The other fear is finding a dead and decomposing body while hiking... It always seem hikers discover the dead bodies...:e2woo:

Now those are some contrasting fears. :D

quickWit
01-03-2008, 06:51 AM
I'm afraid of 2 things:

1. Sharks
2. Clowns

So, mybiggest fear is being eaten by a shark that ate a clown 10 minutes before eating me.

Death Wizard
01-03-2008, 07:36 AM
The fear of sharks/clowns is called Bushophobia.

kristie911
01-03-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't like to fly but I wouldn't call it a phobia...I just don't like to and avoid it if I can. But I have flown without drugs and without freaking out.

My big fear is snakes. And clowns. I'm terrified of snakes...it's definitely a phobia. Clowns are just freaky but it's not a phobia. :)

Bmwhtly
01-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I only fear fear itself. And bulletproof, axe-wielding maniacs.

Bmwhtly
01-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Clowns are just freaky but it's not a phobia.
Clowns freaked me out for a fair while after I watched It.

JLCwrites
01-03-2008, 10:55 AM

I have an odd claustrophobia thing but I suspect it maybe comes from my brother locking me in our scary cellar or something when I was little. Don't really know. I'm fine in the classic elevator scenario, but I can't be in public parking garages or other places with very low ceilings, I feel trapped. If I'm bunched up reallyreally tight with people that's not so hot either, tight rooms and tight crowds. I don't panic, but I do exit asap.

(taking note to thank my parents for having only one child.)

BTW, Heights.... which includes flying, roller coasters, and standing on barstools. When I look down from a height higher than 6ft. I get dizzy. (Hey! No blond jokes!) It seems as I get older, my (vertigo?) gets worse. I used to enjoy roller coasters (and dancing on barstools) but not anymore! ;)

nerds
01-03-2008, 02:52 PM
A remarkable resemblance!

I think the one pictured is a Snake Head, found mostly in Thailand. Or it could be a piranha, for all I know. Either way, it's preferable a thousand times over to a RAT!

It's a tigerfish, African freshwater, common in the Congo River etc. Very popular game fish, apparently. Wouldn't care to haul those little friends into my boat though. Eeeeek.

truelyana
01-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I fear change.

The most realistic. :)

truelyana
01-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I only fear fear itself. And bulletproof, axe-wielding maniacs.

And even more so realistic. I like bulletproof axe-wielding maniacs. Their nice. At one point, they turned me on. I get the giggles watching them on screen. Funny characters. :)

C.bronco
01-03-2008, 06:08 PM
I used to be horribly afraid of worms, but now I just don't like them. I still like to plant flowers, garden and landscape.

I'm afraid of stagnation.

Shadow_Ferret
01-03-2008, 07:13 PM
I have all those. Why didn't you have an ALL OF THE ABOVE?

And I'd like to add, my biggest fear, aside from being eaten by a shark in a wading pool, is being buried alive.

Death Wizard
01-05-2008, 01:41 AM
I have all those. Why didn't you have an ALL OF THE ABOVE?

And I'd like to add, my biggest fear, aside from being eaten by a shark in a wading pool, is being buried alive.

Being buried alive fits under claustrophobia, but being eaten by a shark in a wading pool is a really delayed case of Post-Jaws Syndrome.

scarletpeaches
01-05-2008, 01:46 AM
Who WOULDN'T be scared of being buried alive if it ever happened, though? That's like saying, "I'm scared of serial killers trying to bum me then cut me into little pieces." Well, duh.

akiwiguy
01-05-2008, 01:51 AM
Our cat worries me. She's been looking at me strangely lately. And I caught her in my armchair with my smoking jacket on pouring my last can of beer. And she'd rifled through my life insurance policies. She scares me.

Mom'sWrite
01-05-2008, 02:04 AM
I have an irrational fear of being trapped upside down in my car submerged in dark, freezing water because the bridge I was just driving over failed. (I can't believe the OP failed to include this option.)

I'm not too cozy on boats either.

The sight of blood makes me nauseous. You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but no.

Rats, hate rats, hate 'em.

Imagining my parents having sex (I didn't see that option in the poll either.)

melaniehoo
01-05-2008, 02:05 AM
I have an irrational fear of being trapped upside down in my car submerged in dark, freezing water because the bridge I was just driving over failed. (I can't believe the OP failed to include this option.)

The sight of blood makes me nauseous. You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but no.

You would have hated my recurring nightmare I had in college - I was in a boat, on a river filled with blood and dead/chopped up sharks.

sassandgroove
01-05-2008, 02:08 AM
Car accidents

quickWit
01-05-2008, 02:11 AM
You would have hated my recurring nightmare I had in college - I was in a boat, on a river filled with blood and dead/chopped up sharks.

Yikes! Can someone please call Dr. Gonenuts in ward 6? I think we've found his patient.

Death Wizard
01-05-2008, 02:14 AM
Our cat worries me. She's been looking at me strangely lately. And I caught her in my armchair with my smoking jacket on pouring my last can of beer. And she'd rifled through my life insurance policies. She scares me.

None of that would worry me, except for the beer part. We'd have to come to blows over that.

Death Wizard
01-05-2008, 02:15 AM

The parents/sex thing. Yes, that's a bad one.

Mom'sWrite
01-05-2008, 02:18 AM

This was a RECURRING nightmare? Once would be ample, thank you.

Yikes. :eek:

Death Wizard
01-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Who WOULDN'T be scared of being buried alive if it ever happened, though? That's like saying, "I'm scared of serial killers trying to bum me then cut me into little pieces." Well, duh.

Yes, but there's a difference betwen just being scared of it in a rational sense and scared of it in an irrational sense. That's the point of phobias, isn't it? Like, you refuse to go into an underground parking garage because the ceiling might collapse on you.