Robert B. Parker - I met him Sunday

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
Yesterday afternoon, Sunday March 6, Robert B. Parker came through Houston on his book tour, promoting his newest Spenser novel, "Cold Service". He was at "Murder by the Book" -- a mystery bookshop here. About 75 people showed up, listened to him speak, bought his book, got his "Best wishes" signature. Typical for a signing, I suppose.

Parker spoke for a while, answered questions, and then did a signing. I'll give you my impressions, but you must understand that it's only one person's opinion and you must take what I say on face value, and not attach any credibility beyond my personal impressions...

Parker was on time and spoke briefly, then took questions. He was direct, honest, and quite articulate. He spent plenty of time and didn't disparage anyone's query (a couple questions were fairly naive).

Parker was pleased with the recent Jesse Stone TV movie "Stone Cold" starring Tom Selleck as the alcohol-challenged police chief. The ratings were excellent, and the producers have optioned for a minimum of 5 more "Jesse Stone" movies.

The Sunny Randall novels will re-appear, with a new story late this year. Parker also plans many more Jesse Stone books.

Regarding Spenser, Parker said that he plans for him to live forever. Of course Parker himself is 72 so the books can't continue into the far future (at least from him). But Parker has no plans to "retire" Spenser.

Parker spoke at length about male-female relationships, some of it from his personal life, some of course on behalf of Spenser and Hawk.

Frankly, he came off as a highly opinionated and chauvanistic individual. He's definitely a product of his age.

He also name-dropped throughout, and set off into bragging mode at the least opportunity. He talked quite a bit about hob-nobbing with the Hollywood set, how he can essentially pick and choose his situations now, and how huge his Spenser book advances are these days. He compared this to how difficult it is for new writers to break into the biz. Of course he's got it made, raking in the cash and living high on the hog.

In short, he's full of himself and seemed somewhat arrogant.

He wasn't rude to us by any means. His behavior was exemplary. But he did tend to rant about how Joan (his wife) can't write, can't cook, and is somewhat unable to cope with the world. Parker also made it fairly clear that men were in charge (at least at his house).

I'm not so sure I much like the guy.

But that's my opinion. If you have a chance to catch him on his signing tour, you may wish to swing by.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Parker

katdad said:
Yesterday afternoon, Sunday March 6, Robert B. Parker came through Houston on his book tour, promoting his newest Spenser novel, "Cold Service". He was at "Murder by the Book" -- a mystery bookshop here. About 75 people showed up, listened to him speak, bought his book, got his "Best wishes" signature. Typical for a signing, I suppose.

Parker spoke for a while, answered questions, and then did a signing. I'll give you my impressions, but you must understand that it's only one person's opinion and you must take what I say on face value, and not attach any credibility beyond my personal impressions...

Parker was on time and spoke briefly, then took questions. He was direct, honest, and quite articulate. He spent plenty of time and didn't disparage anyone's query (a couple questions were fairly naive).

Parker was pleased with the recent Jesse Stone TV movie "Stone Cold" starring Tom Selleck as the alcohol-challenged police chief. The ratings were excellent, and the producers have optioned for a minimum of 5 more "Jesse Stone" movies.

The Sunny Randall novels will re-appear, with a new story late this year. Parker also plans many more Jesse Stone books.

Regarding Spenser, Parker said that he plans for him to live forever. Of course Parker himself is 72 so the books can't continue into the far future (at least from him). But Parker has no plans to "retire" Spenser.

Parker spoke at length about male-female relationships, some of it from his personal life, some of course on behalf of Spenser and Hawk.

Frankly, he came off as a highly opinionated and chauvanistic individual. He's definitely a product of his age.

He also name-dropped throughout, and set off into bragging mode at the least opportunity. He talked quite a bit about hob-nobbing with the Hollywood set, how he can essentially pick and choose his situations now, and how huge his Spenser book advances are these days. He compared this to how difficult it is for new writers to break into the biz. Of course he's got it made, raking in the cash and living high on the hog.

In short, he's full of himself and seemed somewhat arrogant.

He wasn't rude to us by any means. His behavior was exemplary. But he did tend to rant about how Joan (his wife) can't write, can't cook, and is somewhat unable to cope with the world. Parker also made it fairly clear that men were in charge (at least at his house).

I'm not so sure I much like the guy.

But that's my opinion. If you have a chance to catch him on his signing tour, you may wish to swing by.

Now that is cool. Parker has always been one of my favorites. You can watch and listen to Parker give a talk at the National Book Festival here: http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/04/cybercasts/

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds as if I might not like the guy as a person--but I love Spenser (and want Hawk, of course). I'd heard before about his attitudes toward women, so this isn't new, but it's disheartening nevertheless. His female characters are sometimes empowered, at least, even if such a thing appalls him in the women he actually knows.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I've been a Parker reader for years--and I've heard him say some fairly offensive/misogynistic things in interviews, over those years.

BUT...Looking for Rachel Wallace is a rather amazing read, in light of that. For those of you who haven't read it, the title character is a militant lesbian feminist. Parker (mostly, considering the genre) portrays her deftly and sympathetically.

I suspect he's just a much better writer than speaker.

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
New book "Cold Service"

I did read the new Spenser novel "Cold Service" and I was pretty disappointed. Sigh.

It's sort of churned out and didn't show me anything new. The story began okay but it dribbled off quickly and most of the chapters were based on Spenser eating in restaurants with other people or eating donuts in his office.

In his talk, Parker said it takes him about 2 months to write a Spenser novel. It shows. It seems that he regards these books as a "product" these days. At least that's the impression I got from reading the book.

I'd be interested in hearing from you Spenser fans about this new novel.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
katdad said:

Well, my wife can't cook, but she certainly is in charge in my house. As I always say, I wear the pants in the family, but she tells me which pair to put on.

:whip:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard Parker say anything about women that bothered me, and my wife likes him more than I do. It may surprise many, but there are still millions of women out there who believe Parker's views on men and women and relationships are the corrrect views.

The nice thing about it is that there's room for every view. We don't all have to think and believe alike, and Parker is no more wrong for his views on the subject than those with opposing views are wrong because of how they think.

I love strong women, and I married the strongest woman I ever knew. But when push comes to shove, I'm the head of the house, and the leader of the relationship, and I have the final say when there's a dispute.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the Spenser series, despite all the potentially offensive stuff that Mac pointed out. I haven't been able to get into his other works, though.

I went to college (first time around) with his son Dan, who is the basis for... it's been so long, I forget the kid's name. Paul? The kid. And I used to live in Boston - so both of those things are what drew me in, and sheer enjoyment kept me hooked.

My sister had her worst-ever interview experience with Parker. She's a smart, engaging interviewer, and she said he just sat like a stone and grunted. I think it was early in the morning ;) (and this was at least 15 years ago)

skc

p.s. Apologies if I'm rambling; I'm on major cold meds and still feel as though my brain is mud.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Same old, same old?

Interesting thread on Parker. I guess he hasn't changed much! I heard him speak at a seminar in Fitchburg, Mass. oh twenty-five years ago? Yes, he is arrogant and articulate. From what I remember, he has a Masters in English Lit. He told us (and I'm still not sure I believe it) that he'd never had a rejection!!! I met and spoke with him briefly and was struck by the fact that is was VERY much like his Spenser character. He did give a very good and enjoyable talk. He was the first speaker after lunch and one of the attendees had apparently skipped lunch and spent the time in the bar! He was obnoxious, but Parker handled him beautifully. I used to love the Spenser novels, but think they started being very much the same. The characters all started talking like Spenser too. I'm glad he's moved on to other characters - I'll have to try him again.

DTKelly

The Rememberer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dtkelly.net
I met him at a book signing in Milwaukee a few years ago (late 90's.) It was a small store and no one was there, at least when I got there. Granted, I arrived about forty five minutes from his scheduled time, so perhaps there was a crown and I just missed it.

I was literally able to walk right up to him, have a brief chat as he signed my books (including 'Spencer's Boston' !! ;) ) Made a comment about my Chicago accent and I departed.

I've read many interviews with him, and he takes pride in the fact that he 'writes 5 pages a day, five days a week' and 'what you see on the page is how it left my screen'. It makes sense when you consider that the typical Spenser chapter is about five pages.

And his books are three hundred pages, and yet I can finish them in a day. My wife and I actually use Parker as a comparison for books... "This book is four hundred pages, but it's in Spenser font." (large margins, sentences double spaced and font bigger.)

I'll still read Spenser, but only frm the library, and maybe paperback. My book buying funds are tight, I just can't justify buying Parker anymore.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Intrview

firehorse said:
I loved the Spenser series, despite all the potentially offensive stuff that Mac pointed out. I haven't been able to get into his other works, though.

I went to college (first time around) with his son Dan, who is the basis for... it's been so long, I forget the kid's name. Paul? The kid. And I used to live in Boston - so both of those things are what drew me in, and sheer enjoyment kept me hooked.

My sister had her worst-ever interview experience with Parker. She's a smart, engaging interviewer, and she said he just sat like a stone and grunted. I think it was early in the morning ;) (and this was at least 15 years ago)

skc

p.s. Apologies if I'm rambling; I'm on major cold meds and still feel as though my brain is mud.

This surprises me. Parker has the reputation of being a great interview, and I've read and heard dozens of interviews of Parker. He always seems to talk the person's head off. Sounds like he was just having a bad morning.

I still read every new Spenser books that comes out. I don't think all the characters sound like Spenser at all. I don't think the other characters sound anything like Spenser, even in his newest books.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rejections

Carlene said:
He told us (and I'm still not sure I believe it) that he'd never had a rejection!!!

I don't know if this is true of Parker or not, but it's certainly not unheard of for a writer to never receive a rejection. Especially a writer who doesn't write many short stories. If you sell your first novel first time out, and I know several writers who have done this, including me, you may never receive a rejection for another novel.