PDA

View Full Version : My First Interview...

truelyana
01-02-2008, 06:56 PM
...landed today, optionally selected by me. :) As many of you know I have been applying for a full time job, since leaving University. Writing is not my full time career, it is rather more experienced and expressed in my day to day life. Therefore, becomes a significant part of my journey. I have been having spur of the... exciting, brief, mad moments whereby, I've applied to any job I've liked the look of. Well in doing so, I've forgotten most of them.

Today, I got a call from a director at First Choice Holidays about a job interview, for a Flight Controller. I remember seeing it, among cabin crew and liking the look of it, as the skills matched what I could easily do. The rest is a blur. Before ringing back, and arranging an Interview I went through my Inbox in search of this job, and no result except for a receipt. Curious to know what the job is about, and what my application was like to get me onto the Interview stage I googled it, just in case I might find it. As a result, it's no longer available.

Considering I've already revealed the main reason, the rest seems obvious. Well, no not really. I rang back, and arranged a day and time suited. The Director was very kind, in making it so, that I arrange the Interview. I asked him to send me the details of the job, and the address considering, I also have no idea where it is. :)

Spontaneity at it's finest. :) No surprise there.

David Erlewine
01-02-2008, 07:11 PM
KUDOS AND GOOD LUCK!

truelyana
01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
KUDOS AND GOOD LUCK!

Thank you kindly. :)

jenngreenleaf
01-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Good luck!!! Please keep us updated! :)

truelyana
01-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Good luck!!! Please keep us updated! :)

Will do. :)

cletus
01-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I know the feeling. A couple of years ago I applied for so many jobs I couldn't keep track. I'd get phone calls from people saying they received my CV and I'd have to ask them a load of questions before I could figure out which job they were calling about. This was never easy as they always called when I was at work and right in the middle of a conversation with my boss.

Good luck.

truelyana
01-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I know the feeling. A couple of years ago I applied for so many jobs I couldn't keep track. I'd get phone calls from people saying they received my CV and I'd have to ask them a load of questions before I could figure out which job they were calling about. This was never easy as they always called when I was at work and right in the middle of a conversation with my boss.

Good luck.

Haahaa sounds like a fun stroll, and a lesson to be learnt in there too.

Thank you. :)

truelyana
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Just got sent the main duties. Different, than the jobs I've been applying to. Interesting nonetheless. :)

* Monitor flights to ensure integrity of Gemini system

* Monitor performance on shared flights with group companies to maximise group load factor.

* Liase with Overseas Flight Seat Sales Departments – providing weekly availability reports.

* Administer and assist Programme Management in resolving issues on overbooked / consolidated flights

* Support NSC / Staff /Business Travel and Agency Sales regarding all flight queries.

* Review and amend duration mix relative to sales pattern to maximise load factor

* Maintain and adjust flight only to reflect bed to seat relationship

* Manage group, premium and extra leg-room seating

* Highlight and minimise single seats in-house, through third party and group trading opportunities

TrainofThought
01-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Great to hear, True! It is different from any job description I read. Good Luck with this job, or another around the corner.

truelyana
01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Great to hear, True! It is different from any job description I read. Good Luck with this job, or another around the corner.

Thank you. I think probably that's why I applied, as it was very different. I just told my dad about it, he thought the job was about controlling all the aeroplanes at the Airport. That would be even more exciting, but I'm quite happy with starting in the Office. Although this has got nothing to do with what I studied, it sure is still exciting. :)

truelyana
01-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Talking of which I'm trying to find out what this 'integrity of Gemini system' means. Keep bumping into Space Flight Systems using the Telstar satellite, which has now got me wondering if I'm actually monitoring flights in accordance with the satellite. Look at me, I've not even been to the Interview, and I'm doing an extensive research of every angle of each task. :D Fun stuff.

akiwiguy
01-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Hmmm, sounds like an intergalactic mission to me. Best wishes for the interview.

truelyana
01-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Hmmm, sounds like an intergalactic mission to me. Best wishes for the interview.

Mission accepted. Thank you. :)

Susie
01-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Way2go, True and whatever you're doin', just keep doing it. It's working well. Keepin' fingers crossed for ya!

truelyana
01-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Way2go, True and whatever you're doin', just keep doing it. It's working well. Keepin' fingers crossed for ya!

Thanks Susie, much appreciated. :)

oneblindmouse
01-02-2008, 11:58 PM
The best of luck! With your verve and enthusiasm, they'd be fools not to take you! Hope you'll still find time for the word games.

SpookyWriter
01-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Good luck on the interview. We're all proud of you!

writerterri
01-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Neeto cheeto! Hope it all works out great for you!

Yay you!

melaniehoo
01-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Good luck True! I'm sure you'll do great & I hope it's something you're interested in. :)

Bmwhtly
01-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Sounds like an interesting job, ma'am. Kudos to you!

by the by, like the new smiley avatar :)

truelyana
01-03-2008, 12:41 AM
The best of luck! With your verve and enthusiasm, they'd be fools not to take you! Hope you'll still find time for the word games.

Thank you, mouse. I'm sure, I'll find a little time out the hat, for the word games. The ones on AW, make all the difference. ;)

Good luck on the interview. We're all proud of you!

Thank you. :Hug2:

Good luck True! I'm sure you'll do great & I hope it's something you're interested in. :)

Thanks Mel. :) Yeah, it's an exciting and interesting thought/job at best.

Sounds like an interesting job, ma'am. Kudos to you!

by the by, like the new smiley avatar :)

Thank you, dear bmwhtly. I have an instinct, that there are more Interviews to follow. :)

choppersmom
01-03-2008, 07:53 AM
This is good news, True! Good luck!

JLCwrites
01-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Wow True! This is fantastic. I will be sending positive vibes your way!

Writer???
01-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Allow me to translate for you...

* Monitor flights to ensure integrity of Gemini system - Greet all flights in skimpy outfit carrying tray of drinks.

* Monitor performance on shared flights with group companies to maximise group load factor. - count people as they disembark.

* Liase with Overseas Flight Seat Sales Departments providing weekly availability reports. - count empty seats.

* Administer and assist Programme Management in resolving issues on overbooked / consolidated flights - catch all flack for incompitent sales staff.

* Support NSC / Staff /Business Travel and Agency Sales regarding all flight queries. - catch all flack of all staff for all categories of flights.

* Review and amend duration mix relative to sales pattern to maximise load factor - "mix" drinks stronger. Get 'em drunk so they'll tell their friends!

* Maintain and adjust flight only to reflect bed to seat relationship - make up beds and tidy up. This can be done when you count the empty seats.

* Manage group, premium and extra leg-room seating - mechanical ability required to move and readjust seats according to passenger needs.

* Highlight and minimise single seats in-house, through third party and group trading opportunities - do whatever's necessary to steal the competitor's clients, (remember to bring skimpy outfits).

Just kidding ya know. Congrats and good luck. :D

truelyana
01-03-2008, 05:53 PM
This is good news, True! Good luck!

Thank you choppsersmom. :Hug2:It's interesting, as I knew I was going to get an interview, when everyone got back to work. It's also interesting, that the other sector of jobs I have been applying to, going in notion with my dissertation and environment, have always been rejected. I received the cv I sent to this job today,(I asked them what my application like, when I first sent it) and It's interesting to know someone is mesmorised, by something on that cv. No idea what. :) All good though.

Wow True! This is fantastic. I will be sending positive vibes your way!

Thank you Turkey. :) I appreciate it. :Hug2:

Allow me to translate for you...

* Monitor flights to ensure integrity of Gemini system - Greet all flights in skimpy outfit carrying tray of drinks.

* Monitor performance on shared flights with group companies to maximise group load factor. - count people as they disembark.

* Liase with Overseas Flight Seat Sales Departments providing weekly availability reports. - count empty seats.

* Administer and assist Programme Management in resolving issues on overbooked / consolidated flights - catch all flack for incompitent sales staff.

* Support NSC / Staff /Business Travel and Agency Sales regarding all flight queries. - catch all flack of all staff for all categories of flights.

* Review and amend duration mix relative to sales pattern to maximise load factor - "mix" drinks stronger. Get 'em drunk so they'll tell their friends!

* Maintain and adjust flight only to reflect bed to seat relationship - make up beds and tidy up. This can be done when you count the empty seats.

* Manage group, premium and extra leg-room seating - mechanical ability required to move and readjust seats according to passenger needs.

* Highlight and minimise single seats in-house, through third party and group trading opportunities - do whatever's necessary to steal the competitor's clients, (remember to bring skimpy outfits).

Just kidding ya know. Congrats and good luck. :D

Haahaa your funny, and thank you. :)

quickWit
01-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Congratulations on your pending interview, True. A word of advice...be sure wear your undergarments under your clothing.

That was the most humiliating interview of my life.

truelyana
01-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Congratulations on your pending interview, True. A word of advice...be sure wear your undergarments under your clothing.

That was the most humiliating interview of my life.

Thank you. :D How did you manage to wear your undergarments over your clothing?

quickWit
01-03-2008, 08:04 PM
How did you manage to wear your undergarments over your clothing?

The panties were easy. Getting the bra over my suit jacket was the hard part. The most embarrassing thing about the whole episode was that the interviewer had on the same suit/undergarment ensemble.

Imagine my chagin.

truelyana
01-04-2008, 01:02 AM
Wow, that sure must have been an experience. One you haven't forgot in this case.

Did you get this job, by the way?

quickWit
01-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Did you get this job, by the way?

No. Apparently I failed the psych exam.

Pffft!