PDA

View Full Version : What's different about you....

ZannaPerry
01-02-2008, 09:22 AM
THIS YEAR compared to ONE YEAR EXACTLY last YEAR?

Akuma
01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Exactly one year ago I was not the confident motherf****r I am today.

Pardon my French. Ser boo play and all that.

ZannaPerry
01-02-2008, 09:32 AM
What happened that changed you, Akuma? If you want to elaborate.

Akuma
01-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Oh, we're sharing are we?

Meh, I just learned I'm a lot smarter and a lot more good looking than I thought.

Does that make me sound vain?

Let me put it this way, then: I learned to ease up on bashing myself so much.

How did you change?

JoNightshade
01-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Last year on this day, I most certainly didn't have an agent.

ZannaPerry
01-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I have longer hair now. And my tongue pierced.

Eskimo1990
01-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Exactly one year ago, I was happy.

Shweta
01-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Exactly one year ago I would have said "I'm a wannabe writer".

This year, "I'm a writer."

kristie911
01-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm divorced. And that deserves a dancing banana! :banana:

Akuma
01-02-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm divorced. And that deserves a dancing banana! :banana:

That made me laugh. Does that make me a bad person?

Cassiopeia
01-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Last year at this time I was in a relationship that had been annulled the year before and I still couldn't get rid of him. I finally did in march. Now, I am doing things I never thought I could or would again.

I am happy with myself and happy to be right where I am.

I owe a few people a debt of gratitude for helping me along the way. You know who you are and one person, I hope I repaid the debt to.

Lots of good luck and happiness to us all...it's going to be a STUNNING year. :D

ZannaPerry
01-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I just can't believe 2007 went by sooo fast! I can hardly remember the details of each month.

Thomma Lyn
01-02-2008, 12:18 PM
The first half of 2007 was rough, by any measure. I lost a friendship. I had an e-novella published, but the publisher closed its doors. I lost heart for a novel of my heart and couldn't get going with anything new for a while, despite fits and starts. Other ups and downs, too.

But come July, things started getting better. Out of desperation to kick my butt out of my writing slump, I joined the Seventy Days of Sweat Writing Challenge, and lo and behold, I rough-drafted a brand new novel from July to September. Then I joined NaNoWriMo and wrote another brand new novel in November. WOOT!

While all that was going on, several other wonderful things happened -- I gained a precious new critique partner who has become a true friend of my heart (I'm looking at you, Dorothy :) !), I solidified bonds with my other wonderful critique partners, hubby and I started taking regular walks in the mountains together, we're both healthier and happier, I'm fitting in jeans I haven't been able to wear for two years, and last but never least, I have two brand new, nifty-as-can-be novel ideas just begging me to turn them into books.

So... to answer the question:

"What's different about you.... THIS YEAR compared to ONE YEAR EXACTLY last YEAR?"

I'm more confident, more productive, more positive, less vulnerable, more creative, more realistic, thicker-skinned, in better shape, and slimmer.

nerds
01-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Last year at this time I didn't have a completed first-draft WIP in my hand, only an idea in my head.

I only had one abandoned homeless cat, now I have two, and my hair is really short now. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Stargazer
01-02-2008, 05:02 PM
This time last year I was:-

1) Writing a few short stories
2) Sitting on a completed Novel with every intention of one day doing something about it
3) Getting from A to B just fine

This year I am:-

1) A script writer as well
2) Signed up to the AW Forums
3) Driving a car that is fast approaching its tenth birthday and dribbling fuel onto the road faster than you can put it in the tank
4) Still sitting on a completed novel thinking how I must do something about it one day before it goes disgustingly out of date.

Rob.

brokenfingers
01-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Oddly enough, I'm much happier today than I was on this day a year ago - despite not writing as much.

Sheryl Nantus
01-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm a lot less naive about the publishing world.

It hurts.

:(

cray
01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
at some point last year i ran out of soap and on a whim began washing with toothpaste (crest is best). i haven't looked back since,.....

and i'm constantly minty fresh.
:D

dancingandflying
01-02-2008, 07:50 PM
i was really happy one year ago (probably because i would be going to bali for a month in less than thirty days), but i didn't go to yoga on january 2nd.

indeed. :)

Meerkat
01-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Last year, I was a noob feeling my way around the frightening AW landscape, thinking that most of the members were probably not as psychopathic as their posts seemed to indicate, and hopeful that by making the requisite number of submissions, my works would be published.

Now, I am convinced that most AW members are much, much more psychopathic than their posts begin to hint at, and that I can easily achieve the same degree of publication success as previous without those pesky submissions and costly postage.

New year's resolutions notwithstanding...

robeiae
01-02-2008, 08:14 PM
One year ago, I wasn't changing diapers on a baby six times a day.

That's about it.

III
01-02-2008, 08:21 PM
at some point last year i ran out of soap and on a whim began washing with toothpaste (crest is best). i haven't looked back since,.....

You mean Adrienne / Toothpaste? Your wife lets you get away with that?

Let's see, I had one more gall bladder than I do now. I had about 8 lbs. less. I hadn't released any novels. I had a different job. And I wasn't drunk on the heady power of modliness.

Jersey Chick
01-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Hmmm... Let's see...

last year I lived in a teeny-tiny, itty-bitty overcrowded townhouse - this year I have a real house, with a yard and a driveway (and a pool - YAY for a a pool!) and my kids have their own rooms.

Last year I hadn't sold two books.

Last year I was hoping Triskelion Publishing would offer a contract on one of those two books. Now I'm oh-so-grateful they rejected it. :)

Last year I was a lurker here - now I'm not. Hee hee...

MMWyrm
01-02-2008, 09:36 PM
This year I have paid off or am paying off all my dead bequeathed to me by my ex-husband as opposed to living in fear of debt collection calls.

I'm also prettier. :)

Shadow_Ferret
01-02-2008, 09:49 PM
THIS YEAR compared to ONE YEAR EXACTLY last YEAR?
Nothing.

At my age a year is just a blip in time, hardly length enough to make any sort of changes.

ChaosTitan
01-02-2008, 09:58 PM
This year I have paid off or am paying off all my dead bequeathed to me

How does one pay off their dead?

One year ago I was unpublished, unagented, unhappy at my job, living with two cats in a state with too many taxes, and constantly hoping my sister dumps her annoying boyfriend. Wait...none of that has changed.

Damn it.

Oh yes! Last year at this time, I wasn't a mod. That has to count for something. :D

Jaycinth
01-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Last year I was hung over and had a lot more boogers.

melaniehoo
01-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Since last year at this time I:

- Eliminated my debt (but closed my 401k to do it)
- Successfully sued UPS
- Quit my job I'd been at for 7 years
- Took a 4-day road trip
- Moved to another country
- Met my mother-in-law, but buried her 2 weeks later
- Gained 14 nieces & nephews (this actually happened in '06, but I didn't meet them until moving here)
- Bought my first home
- Lost those last 5 pounds
- Had a teeny, tiny cancer scare
- Discovered the world of blogging & started my own
- Wrote a book

I'm good till '09, I think.

Joycecwilliams
01-02-2008, 10:05 PM
This Year:

I am 25 pounds lighter. :hooray: AND TAKE A SIZE 7

Have a new hairstyle and two tone haircolor.:e2bear:

Have a piece in 2008 Farmer's Almanac:e2writer:
Belong to a writer's group and also am a member of New Hampshire Writer's Project, Boston Author's Club, and New England Writers.

Completed my NaNo project 2 days ahead of time. :e2crown:

Won second place in a Chili Cookoff.

Got a new job taking minutes for the Selectmen in the next town.

Have a new picture in my newspaper column...

Found the man of my dreams, but he doesn't know yet how perfect he is for me. :)

Susie
01-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I've gained five extra pounds with no effort at all.:)
Not to brag, but had a few more acceptances.
Have more great AW friends.
Learning how to play the guitar.
My poetry collection is with an e-book publisher.

Pomegranate
01-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Compared to last year at this time:
I'm one year older.
I'm 35 lbs lighter.
I've been to Paris, France.
and I've written one more NaNoWriMo novel, and this one actually has some legs.

BardSkye
01-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Last year, like the 30 before it, I had nobody to sing harmony with.

This year I have a chorus and a quartet and have already been to one regional contest.

JoNightshade
01-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Okay, here's my more complete list. :) Last year at this time, I...

- Was still working full time (ick!)
- Drove a Ford Ranger instead of a Civic Hybrid
- Had long hair (snip!)
- Was not a member of AW!
- Had not seriously tried to get a novel published
- Only knew a few phrases in Chinese (actually I still don't, but I can point and name a heck of a lot of things. :))