PDA

View Full Version : Submission Question

Shadow_Ferret
01-02-2008, 04:45 AM
Hey, when I started subbing my novel early last year, in April I sent it to one agent and was rejected. This agent moved to a different agency in June. My quest for an agent has brought me to the agency she moved to. Should I address the query to someone else on the agency? Or to her? Could she possibly remember me after 8 months?

In the meantime, I've also revamped my query letter and done some revisions on the novel itself, including the opening. (Its a disease! I can't NOT touch it!)

Suggestions?

Birol
01-02-2008, 04:47 AM
Query a different agent in the agency.

Shadow_Ferret
01-02-2008, 04:53 AM
Thanks Lori. Guess that answers my question.

Feel free to delete this now to save space. :)

SpookyWriter
01-02-2008, 05:04 AM
Query a different agent in the agency.:e2smack:

Shadow_Ferret
01-02-2008, 05:05 AM
Crum!

Of all the agents at the agency, only two deal with my genre, the one I alreadly submitted to and the other one isn't accepting unsolicited queries at this time.

:(

Shadow_Ferret
01-02-2008, 05:07 AM
:e2smack:Maybe it seemed obvious to you, but that agent was one of my dream agents. I thought I'd get a second chance since she had moved and was looking for new clients.

ChaosTitan
01-02-2008, 05:10 AM
Maybe it seemed obvious to you, but that agent was one of my dream agents. I thought I'd get a second chance since she had moved and was looking for new clients.

If this novel doesn't snag an agent, you can always query the dream agent with your next book (assuming it's the same genre).

SpookyWriter
01-02-2008, 05:12 AM
Maybe it seemed obvious to you, but that agent was one of my dream agents. I thought I'd get a second chance since she had moved and was looking for new clients.Ed, if she moved to a different agency and doesn't remember you then you're new. Right?

Shadow_Ferret
01-02-2008, 05:15 AM
Yes, but how do I know she doesn't remember me?

Then again, how do I know she does?

I guess since she's the only one accepting... all she can do is reject me again.

Right?

SpookyWriter
01-02-2008, 05:19 AM
Right. If it's been more than a year then there is a good chance she doesn't remember you. The story might sound familiar though. But if she likes the writing then you're in, buddy.

jannawrites
01-02-2008, 05:23 AM
Yeah, what he said. And Shadow, maybe your ms didn't grab her fancy then, but this could be your chance! Go ahead and sub it again. But don't tell her she already rejected you once. Just go with the updated query and see where that gets you. Good luck! The worst she can do is say "no."

bethany
01-02-2008, 05:23 AM
Um, how's the query? I'd do another query, maybe focus on another angle? That way unless something really stood out to her, she'd be less likely to recognize it/you.

Shadow_Ferret
01-02-2008, 05:36 AM
I've rewritten the query several times since I submitted it to her the first time. Let me put it this way, I was rejected outright 9 times with the other queries, but this last incarnation has gotten me two requests for more.

jannawrites
01-02-2008, 05:38 AM
There you be, then. Send it to her!

P.s. Sending warm good luck fuzzies your way.

Mayntz
01-02-2008, 08:31 AM
I'd go ahead and send it along too, and don't worry whether she'll remember you -- odds are, she won't. It's been more than six months, she's moved to a new agency, and undoubtedly she's looked at dozens, if not hundreds, of other queries and manuscripts in the meantime. Keep your approach professional and you've got nothing to lose. Best of luck!

jenngreenleaf
01-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Crum!

Of all the agents at the agency, only two deal with my genre, the one I alreadly submitted to and the other one isn't accepting unsolicited queries at this time.

:(In my opinion, it's a sign . . . with a giant red arrow pointing in her direction. There's a reason why paths cross more than once.

Stormhawk
01-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Everything happens for a reason.

At worst, you'll get another form letter to add to the burning pile.

At best...well, you never know.

Judg
01-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Include 3-5 pages!

blacbird
01-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Whaddaya got to lose, other than your immortal soul?

caw

kuwisdelu
01-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Well in that case... After this long, I think she'd only remember you if your query was either very good (but not good enough) or very bad. I doubt you committed the latter, so either the improvements you've made will put you over the edge, or she doesn't remember you and you have nothing to worry about in that regard anyway. I'd say submit again. Can't hurt.