PDA

View Full Version : I've been filtering!

scarletpeaches
01-01-2008, 10:19 PM
My editing of DAE is going splendiferously well...except for the number of times I've spotted errors in my text. I guess you could say that's a good thing, though. Better I edit them out than leave them in for the first round of submissions.

I never realised how often I filtered, though. I've stopped using 'that' so much; in fact I've pared my use of the word down to the bare minimum. I don't head-hop (as if!!!) or use adverbs more than...um...sparingly.

But I filter! "She could see..." "She was aware that he..." "He began to feel..."

AAAAARGH!!!

Somebody hit me really hard with the anti-filter stick. :rant:

Just as things were going rather well with my plan to eliminate qualifiers, too...

Perks
01-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Oooh -- qualifiers are great pacers, though.

Just sayin'.

scarletpeaches
01-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Lewis Hamilton told me the other day he hates qualifiers.

*groan*

Perks
01-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Lewis Hamilton is also an infant who throws away opportunities when all is going his way. So, who you gonna listen to?

Thrillride
01-01-2008, 10:33 PM
But I filter! "She could see..." "She was aware that he..." "He began to feel..."

AAAAARGH!!!

Somebody hit me really hard with the anti-filter stick. :rant:

Just as things were going rather well with my plan to eliminate qualifiers, too...

I hate when that happens! I hate when I catch it waaaay later in the game even more. *sigh*

~Thrill

scarletpeaches
01-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Fair enough. He's not a choker on a par with Henman, though, one must admit.

*prepares for thread to descend into a comparison of sportsmen before it's locked, someone mentions Godwin's Law or Haggis comes along to talk about humping someone's leg*

jst5150
01-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Still .. killing ... the word ... WAS ... over ... and over ... again.

Perks
01-01-2008, 10:41 PM
No, we can't have that. Seriously, if you've spotted something about your writing that's annoying you - celebrate! You just got better.

Sometimes, just starting a thread about it on AW (and the inevitable nonsense and fun that ensues) will be enough to break your fingers of the habit. It's one of the most valuable things about this joint.

scarletpeaches
01-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I keep spotting things to correct, though.

At first it was head-hopping, years ago...then it was telling not showing...then it was 'as you know, Bob' dialogue...then lazy characterisation...use of 'that'...dialogue attribution...filtering...

I wonder if there will ever come a time when I think, "I've written to the best of my abilities and I feel truly confident when it comes to submitting, rather than merely hopeful."

Perks
01-01-2008, 10:56 PM
I hope so. I was just thinking on this sort of thing this morning. I keep finding my work as shining examples of what not to do.

But you've been diligent, Scarlet. Don't stop. This is the work part. If you expect to get paid, you must sweat the details. The cool thing is, that this sort of work, for those inclined, is much more fun than say, insurance processing. Don't ask me how I know this.

scarletpeaches
01-01-2008, 10:57 PM
And it beats the crap out of retail at Christmas, that's for certain sure.

kristie911
01-02-2008, 06:28 AM
At least you recognize it...I didn't realize I was filtering until someone kindly pointed it out in a critique. At least now I can see it.

Jersey Chick
01-02-2008, 07:21 AM
I didn't realize how much I use "that" until my editor pointed it out. Now I see it all over the place. I need that anti-filter stick whenever it's free, please.

blacbird
01-02-2008, 07:57 AM
"He began to feel..."

It's better than "he started to commence to begin to feel . . ."

caw

kristie911
01-02-2008, 08:00 AM
It's better than "he started to commence to begin to feel . . ."

caw

Hey! Have you been hacking into my computer again?!

Birol
01-02-2008, 08:41 AM
I wonder if there will ever come a time when I think, "I've written to the best of my abilities and I feel truly confident when it comes to submitting, rather than merely hopeful."

For your sake, I hope not, because that will mean you've stopped growing as a writer. None of us should stop developing our skill until we're planted, and maybe not even then.

blacbird
01-02-2008, 09:10 AM
For your sake, I hope not, because that will mean you've stopped growing as a writer. None of us should stop developing our skill until we're planted, and maybe not even then.

Being planted has done wonders for Robert Ludlum's writing.

caw

althrasher
01-02-2008, 06:11 PM
*headdesk*

"In which ALT discovers she, too, has been filtering."

seun
01-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Still .. killing ... the word ... WAS ... over ... and over ... again.

WAS must die. :rant: