I've been filtering!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My editing of DAE is going splendiferously well...except for the number of times I've spotted errors in my text. I guess you could say that's a good thing, though. Better I edit them out than leave them in for the first round of submissions.

I never realised how often I filtered, though. I've stopped using 'that' so much; in fact I've pared my use of the word down to the bare minimum. I don't head-hop (as if!!!) or use adverbs more than...um...sparingly.

But I filter! "She could see..." "She was aware that he..." "He began to feel..."

AAAAARGH!!!

Somebody hit me really hard with the anti-filter stick. :rant:

Just as things were going rather well with my plan to eliminate qualifiers, too...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Lewis Hamilton is also an infant who throws away opportunities when all is going his way. So, who you gonna listen to?

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
But I filter! "She could see..." "She was aware that he..." "He began to feel..."

AAAAARGH!!!

Somebody hit me really hard with the anti-filter stick. :rant:

Just as things were going rather well with my plan to eliminate qualifiers, too...

I hate when that happens! I hate when I catch it waaaay later in the game even more. *sigh*

~Thrill

Reaction score
Fair enough. He's not a choker on a par with Henman, though, one must admit.

*prepares for thread to descend into a comparison of sportsmen before it's locked, someone mentions Godwin's Law or Haggis comes along to talk about humping someone's leg*

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Still .. killing ... the word ... WAS ... over ... and over ... again.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
No, we can't have that. Seriously, if you've spotted something about your writing that's annoying you - celebrate! You just got better.

Sometimes, just starting a thread about it on AW (and the inevitable nonsense and fun that ensues) will be enough to break your fingers of the habit. It's one of the most valuable things about this joint.

Reaction score
I keep spotting things to correct, though.

At first it was head-hopping, years ago...then it was telling not showing...then it was 'as you know, Bob' dialogue...then lazy characterisation...use of 'that'...dialogue attribution...filtering...

I wonder if there will ever come a time when I think, "I've written to the best of my abilities and I feel truly confident when it comes to submitting, rather than merely hopeful."

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I hope so. I was just thinking on this sort of thing this morning. I keep finding my work as shining examples of what not to do.

But you've been diligent, Scarlet. Don't stop. This is the work part. If you expect to get paid, you must sweat the details. The cool thing is, that this sort of work, for those inclined, is much more fun than say, insurance processing. Don't ask me how I know this.

Reaction score
And it beats the crap out of retail at Christmas, that's for certain sure.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
At least you recognize it...I didn't realize I was filtering until someone kindly pointed it out in a critique. At least now I can see it.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if there will ever come a time when I think, "I've written to the best of my abilities and I feel truly confident when it comes to submitting, rather than merely hopeful."

For your sake, I hope not, because that will mean you've stopped growing as a writer. None of us should stop developing our skill until we're planted, and maybe not even then.

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
*headdesk*

"In which ALT discovers she, too, has been filtering."

Status
Not open for further replies.