Hogmanay Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
How about a mass historical entry in one or either?

See the Early Works Press website and details. Payment by Paypal and e-mail entries allowed for overseas entrants!

http://www.earlyworkspress.co.uk/Competitions.htm

Sixty Word Sagas

£100 in prizes

1st prize £60, 2nd £30, 3rd £10

Flash fiction on any topic you like. Points will be awarded for style and entertainment value. Aim for 60 words exactly. Points deducted for every word over or under. Closes April 30th, 2008. The winning entries will be published on the website.

Open Short Story Competition

£100 1st prize. Publication for best entries.

Rules and Conditions
  • The competition is open to anyone over 16.
  • The first prize is £100 and first place in the anthology. The best entries will be published, and their authors will receive one complimentary copy. 10-20 will be included, depending on length. All winners will be offered further copies at a reduced price.
  • Closing date September 30th 2008. Winners will be notified by November.
  • Entry fee £5 up to 4000 words, £10 for 4 – 8000 words. Max 8000. Payment in pounds sterling. POs or cheques payable to Kay Green.
  • Stories must be the work of the entrant, previously unpublished, and not simultaneously entered for other competitions.
  • Stories must be titled and typed/clearly written on one side of A4 paper.
  • Names must not appear on the stories. Each entry must have a cover-sheet attached, marked ES4, giving title(s) of stories(s), word count, author’s name, address, and/or telephone number/email address. Please say where you heard about this competition.
  • The competitions are judged anonymously and the judges’ decision is final. No discussion will be entered into.
  • Entries are not returnable and cannot be acknowledged without SAE marked for that purpose.
  • Copyright remains with the author although Earlyworks Press reserves the right to publish winning entries in a competition anthology in 2008/9.
  • email entries only accepted where access to UK post/currency is denied. (Email us for assistance if this is the case)
  • Send paper copy to Earlyworks Press, Creative Media Centre, 45 Robertson Street , Hastings Sussex TN34 1HL.
  • Submission of work will be taken as acceptance of rules and conditions.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi pdr - Thank you for posting this. We could always try for both even. :) We've got some creative people on the forums.

If you could, it would probably be good to post some helps for non-Brits, i.e., A4 paper is 8-1/2 x 11? (but I think it may be just a bit off that), the exchange rate for pounds is currently ...? - I see that anyone interested can e-mail them for information, but I think a lot of people are more inclined if they have some idea before they get to the e-mail point. Thanks again for posting. Puma

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I think sixty words would be a fun challenge. I didn't even know there were competitions for stories less than 100 words. We should all try and then post in SYW for help before submitting. Any other takers? I've got an idea for mine already.

*chants "beginning-middle-end, beginning-middle-end, beginning-middle-end..." *

c.e.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in for the 60 words. I've been thinking about it too (and how hard it was to limit myself to 500 in the January western challenge).

Should the 60 word challenge be in one thread or multiples? Puma

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One UK pound is worth two US dollars as of yesterday, according to the Bank of Canada currency converter.

Sixty words? Don't think I could manage it.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Puma, A4 paper is slightly longer and narrower than US Letter-sized paper. I believe that A4 paper is something like 8 1/4 x 11 3/4 inches. Although the difference in paper sizes may not be an issue for those living outside of the UK, as it sounds like you will be able to email your entries.

I would say we could put the 60 word challenges in a single thread.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Yep!

E-mail entries, so no need to worry about paper sizes.

Bardsky I'll join you in a 3-4,000 word story! I'm working on one now.

The challenge is to get a 60 word-er that's historical and perhaps it's better to put them in individual threads?

I'm too wordy for 60 words but if you all write one I'll have to!

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
The more the merrier - I'm willing to try the 60 and at least one of the other two (not sure which length yet). From your post, pdr, I didn't see that there was an entry fee for the 60 word - is that correct?

Thanks for the paper size, PastMidnight, I was pretty sure it was a bit different. And thanks, Bardskye, for the pounds conversion. Puma

Post script - I just posted a 60 word story. Does the title count in the 60 words?

Last edited:

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Oh, this looks like a fun challenge. I'm definitely going to give it a go. Though 60 words - goodness me!

Just to be clear, they don't actually have to be historical, do they? Though I agree it would be fun if we all submitted.

Because I know we're all sticklers for accuracy here, A4 paper is precisely 210x297mm.

Last edited:

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The more the merrier - I'm willing to try the 60 and at least one of the other two (not sure which length yet). From your post, pdr, I didn't see that there was an entry fee for the 60 word - is that correct?
On the website it says that it's £3 for up to six 60 word stories, which you can email in and pay via paypal.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Enjoy it!

Title not usually included in the sixty words, read guidelines, Puma.

(Sorry to be terse I am working on this damned final edit of text book for my profs and fighting them all the way for good English. They have shown me several samples of American hospitals using 'Selective menu' and refuse to believe me when I say it really isn't correct. It's a tedious fight and I am straining to be tactful!)

The challenge, girlyswot is to make a historical story that works in 60 words

ALSO I'm letting you know now that the HNS/Fish historical short comp will close in summer - July/August to you - and you really should try for this one. It puts your story and name firmly in the eye of the publishers and looks good in the CV.
Details not yet up but will be soon at: http://www.fishpublishing.com/

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, what the hell. I've never tried flash fiction, never even read any, but I've given it a shot.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Quite right - I obviously can't read correctly at that time of night.

I'd think that the 'saga' implies your sixty words should actually tell a story. Not necessarily a true 'saga' but something that does have a real plot. So no vignettes!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at the Hogmanay website today and it is as PastMidnight said in the post above - on the 60 word stories it's three pounds per story, twelve pounds for up to six stories. (And any of you who want to tell me how to make the pound sign are invited to.) Puma

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I used to do 100-300 words every month for a group I was in. Never got anything as low as 60 before, but no harm in trying, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.