What if your book straddles several genres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strongbear

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thegoldilocksgame.com
What do you do if your book straddles several genres? Do you just market it to people using the genre that seems most prominent and immediate?

For instance, my book could easily fall into both a spy thriller genre and a sports genre, and both would be immediately and equally the first thing that could come to mind. Of course, there are other elements of other genres present, but I'm sure that's the case with many books out there.

So do I just go with one genre or both? It might make it difficult for bookstores or other potential readers to know what it's like because they might be into one and not the other.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
When you research where to submit you'll generally find specific genres mentioned. Spy thrillers are popular and many agents rep them. I'd go with that definition. In the body of your query letter you can mention the background (sports) as it pertains to the plot.

Good Luck!
EM

flashgordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bauuinstitute.com
I would market to anyone and all people that might be interested. Sure, the book may fall into one genre, but most readers don't just read one genre so why limit yourself to just one. You never know who might be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.