professional critique groups

• Thread starter writerinthesage
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

writerinthesage

Hello everyone! I have a question about professional critque offers from organizations such as SCBWI or JuniperCreek Publishing, etc. When I search the web cites of these organizations, there is an option given that offers professional critques for your work. Has anyone done this sort of thing? Is it worth the money? Thanks. Ursula

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
Personally, I'm a little ...um... cheap to pay for critique. I value my critique group intensely and find they really give me what I need whenever I have doubts about a piece. However, I was once asked to try a number of different professional critiques and write my opinion, so I have had paid critiques done. I find them very uneven. For the sake of evaluation I submitted pieces that had clear problems that were relatively easy to spot. Of all the paid critiques I had done, only one really seemed to catch most of the problems. In one instance, the person assigned to do the critique worked in a very different area of children's writing and really had no idea how to approach the piece I submitted -- some of her advice would have actually made it harder to sell the piece. Only one of the critiques offered any market-slanted advice, meaning only one of them really looked at the piece in terms of actually selling it to a publisher. One of the pieces I submitted was actually unpublishable -- it had a premise that simply would not sell in today's children's market -- period. And not one of the critiquers told me that. To me, that's a fatal flaw. It's nice to help a writer make the piece better writing but if there is no way to make it a marketable STORY, the critiquer should tell you that -- it's only fair.

So, overall, I was underwhelmed. If you DO decide to pay for a critique
* try to get a critique person with some experience in the area you are writing. (A writer of 12 nonfiction books for young children may not have a lot of valuable advice for a writer of an edgy YA novel.).
* ask for specific advice about markets. It's possible they would have told me if I had asked. I don't know but I think you have to make them aware that ultimately you would like to be published and you want to know if you should pursue that with this specific piece.
* weigh the advice carefully. Consider all of it but if it feels really wrong (after you've given your ego time to cool off -- all advice sounds wrong to me on first read, I had a rather obnoxious writer's ego) it may be really wrong. Don't try to do something that feels totally wrong for you because odds are it will come across forced and uneven.
* save all drafts. You can edit yourself to death trying to follow everyone's advice. If you get to the point where you have no idea where you are -- early drafts can help you retrace your steps to the point where you felt your work was going in the right direction.

That's my dime's worth.

gran

writerinthesage

Thanks!

Thanks Gran! I am very slow to respond to board postings. I apologise for taking so long to read your reply.
My own Critique group is in the process of going the way of the Dinosaur, so I thought perhaps a paid critique would offer some sound advice. I guess it's always try try again, and keep at it! Thanks!
Ursula

Status
Not open for further replies.