Anyone play the guitar?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I got one from a neighbor and can't figure out the basics.:) What exactly are the notes. I thought they were EBGDAE, but not sure. Is that right? Thanks much.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you asking about the strings? because that's different than the notes. :)

Notes in music are determined by their position on the scale, so I presume you're asking which strings correspond to which notes... and though I'm no expert, I also think some of that is determined by fingering as well as the note represented by the purely plucked string.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
EADGBE = standard tuning. Open/alsternate tunings are myriad.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I've thought about the idea of getting myself a guitar to practice. I already know some basics on the electric bass, and figured it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to cross over.

(aside from the nastiness of having more strings to remember...)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Pick up a beginning guitar book that teaches simple notes and chords and go from there. Any shop that sells instruments will have one or a dozen.

Or pick up a Tab Book. These are music books that show where on the neck to put your fingers to play music so you don't need to know how to read music.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
every good boy does fine

oh wait, no, that's not it,...ask III, he shreds guitars

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Susie, if you're just wanting to learn to pick a few songs, do a search for guitar tab. Tab is real easy to figure out. If you want to learn to strum some chords, you can also do a search and turn up lots of stuff. Search for chord charts so you can see the finger patterns.

You'll probably also want to get a tuner. :)

Here are a couple of sites to try:

http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

http://www.guitarchordsmagic.com/basic-guitar-chords/basic-guitar-chords.html

Good luck!

Hubby owns his own music school and he'd be happy to help but you're in Florida and we're in Alabama. Kind of a long run for a few guitar lessons. :D

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
My dog has fleas.

Susie, feel free to PM me anytime with guitar questions. Rule #1 - your fingers are supposed to hurt :)

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! Guitar playing is way cool and relaxing, even if, like me, you never get very good at it. (Left handed playing right, broken finger making joint inoperable, etc) Anyway, one of the best lesson sites on the web is here:

Guitar Lessons

They also have a huge forum you can join, with lots of helpful people.

Have fun!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:)...have played for years....

Just buy a book and go for it. The fingers will hurt, but the joy of playing makes it worthwhile. Have a good time. ;)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Knew a guy who used to remember the strings this way: Easter Bunnies Get Drunk At Easter. :ROFL:
That's backwards. Low to high: Every Angry Dog Grinds Bones Easily.

Books are fine, but take some lessons. There's a lot more to playing than the notes -- such as proper hand position etc. If your hand position is sloppy you'll have trouble making chords, and there are some chords you'll never be comfortable with. It's like tennis -- if you develop bad habits when you begin, you'll find it almost impossible to break them. Would you try to learn tennis from a book?

A lot of continuing ed programs have beginning guitar classes. At the very least, find someone who really knows how to play to show you the basics.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, guys. It really helps a lot. Ok, I'll remember that, Rugrat, Every Angry Dog Grinds Bones Easily.:) I do have a book for beginners and I still can't understand it. :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's tons of stuff on how to play guitar, or any musical instrument, for free on the Internet. We even have a Music and Songwriting forum (hey, Scottie, is The Transporter working today? Shouldn't this be over there?) under the Pop Culture Compendium major divide section thingie right here on the Absolute Write Water cooler.

Check out this "Guitar Lesson Pt. 1" that III did in the "Music Lab" subforum, it's a simple thing to start you out playing a little lead:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86890
(password is in III's sig andante)
Of course, to play that you need a guitar with a 24-fret neck. :D
Keep in mind these are only 16th notes he's playing, and in the first video he's only playing at about 60 beats (quarter notes) per minute.

But there's an important point there somewhere about playing an instrument - practice going slowly enough that you can play without error (or at least gross errors), then practice at a slightly faster speed until you can do it well at the faster speed. Also, fast isn't everything - a slower sequence of notes played with grace and style can often carry more emotion than a fast shredding lead, as in Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight."

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks much, Ben. That's really helpful. The book I have is a really basic guitar book and I play the piano too, but am havin' trouble learning it. Maybe I'll get it before long.:)

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I've been learning to play the acoustic guitar on and off, for a couple of years now. I can just about strum a few strings. I have found youtube to be of help, especially for basic self learning. How is your progress going Susie?

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I play the piano too, but am havin' trouble learning it. Maybe I'll get it before long.:)
I'm not familiar with the guitar layout, but on the electric bass, every fret is a half-step on the piano, and the fifth fret down is the same as having the next string open. Depending on how familiar you are with the piano (chords and whatnot), and depending on the layout of the guitar (whether it's similar to the bass), that might be some help.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
the notes on a guitar are the same as with any other instrument, aston. the fret above f is F#, etc.. interesting to note is you can find many of the exact same tones on different strings (which is clear when you learn to open tune, but it goes a little bit beyond that. for example, for all intents and purposes there are a couple of different ways you can play a g chord and it sound nearly identical, but the one you opt for will likely have to do with how convenient it is at the moment).

everyone starts off with the idea of great hand position. you very, very rarely see a rock guitarist do this while performing as it just looks dorky. try to maintain the proper hand technique for as long as possible. i say that and at some point you'll see a picture of jimmy page onstage with his guitar somewhere around his knees. it's just like anything else: learn to do it the right way, then develop a way that's comfortable and works for you. the 'proper way' is neither practical nor comfortable. the 'proper way' has the guitar on your left leg (for right handers), your leg slightly elevated, the neck at around a forty-five degree angle and your thumb in the centre of the neck, never resting your palm on the neck. this works better for acoustic and classical guitars, yet i've never known anyone with an electric and wanting to play rock not to learn slumped over it staring at the strings, which just puts your thumb near the top string. jimmy page and jimi hendrix made liberal use of their thumbs.

find a teacher and ask him to show you the basic boogie. an amazing amount of music is merely a variation of that. classic rock solos are often based on a single blues scale. if your teacher doesn't know what that is, find another teacher. (there're actually two main blues scales, the second one containing most of the exact notes, just not used as much.)

pay attention to the patterns, especially when it comes to solos.

i sound fast. i'm not, not really. i just know tricks.

learn to play 'stairway to heaven.' that covers most of the techniques you'll ever need to know, imo, from finger picking to strumming to solos. the van halen 'fretboard tapping' thing is pretty easy once you've got some coordination, so 'eruption' is probably in your future. before that, you'll probably learn 'smoke on the water.' people who can't play guitar know that one, lol.

your fingers will hurt. a lot. that's how you build up your callouses. and do yourself a favour and don't be lazy like me and not wipe down the fretboard afterwards. unless you like caked on black crud you have to scrape off later. plus, it helps saves your strings a bit and keeps them sounding crisp and new. the story is stevie ray vaughn was playing a gig and his callous literally came off his finger. so he picked it up, superglued it back to his finger, and went back playing. this probably won't happen to you. :)

anyway, guitar tab is tres easy, you don't need to know the first thing about reading music. used to be 'olga' (online guitar archive) was the place to go, but the last time i was there it was shut down much for the same reason the old napster was shut down. anyway, most magazine stands have guitar magazines and, obviously, music stores will have a decent selection. you can often find guitar dealers at large flea markets, and they usually have some music.

i'd get a couple of different guages of strings to find which on you like best. too, get a lot of picks and see which size and thickness you prefer. once you find one, get several. get a few extra of your three bottom strings as these are the ones you're most likely to break.

your first lesson should have the teacher assess what you know, go over parts of the instrument, show you how to tune it, show you the proper technique (whether or not you use it...), show you some chords and have some on paper to give you, have a few very basic songs, some excercises to do and the blues scales. most that i've gone to wanted to see progress being made. the better teachers knew what i wanted to play and had some music photocopied for me, plus some blank tab paper to show me specific things i wanted to learn.

as an aside, i had one teacher who i thought was pretty full of himself. i'd seen him play with my friend's brother's band and was ashame when at one point he was gulping a beer and his pre-recorded song started, so he quickly started 'playing.' what a jerk. then he was at a U2 concert and got to play onstage. he was insufferable after that. then i had one teacher who i liked so much that after he stopped teaching at the music store, i took private lessons at his house. i ran into him a year ago and he remembered my name after nearly twenty years (hm, no, it must have been longer than that).

anyway, it's really not difficult to find someone who knows how to play guitar, just ask people. walk into any place where ten people are and i practically assure you one of them knows how to dance on the fretboard a little bit.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Thx much, Aston & Preyer. Great advice. I'm getting it a bit more now with all the help you guys gave me.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Serena. I really appreciate everyone's so helpful advice and links. What great friends you all are!