PDA

View Full Version : Taking a step back....

ChunkyC
12-30-2007, 09:49 PM
To all my AW friends:

This is much harder than I thought it was going to be. But as the old adage goes, don't beat around the bush. So....

I am resigning as an AW employee, and stepping down as an admin and mod here on the forums, effective as of the end of the year. Yes, that's in a couple of days.

The reason is purely one of time: I have none. Actually, most days it feels like I'm running a deficit. Many of you know I work long hours at my day job. Couple that with the obligations that go along with working for AW and being an admin here, and I end up with virtually no time left over for anything else, like my wife ... or writing.

Since learning about the business of writing and honing my skills is why I came to the Water Cooler in the first place, I really have no choice but to cut back somewhere if I want to recharge my writerly batteries. I am going to remain a 'citizen', though; you'd have to drag me out of here kicking and screaming. But I need to divest myself of the obligations I have to AW so that I can come and go with no strings attached. If I need to stay away for a while to get some writing done, I can do so without guilt.

My time as a mod and then an admin has been one of the best experiences of my life, I'll never regret it. Being one of the people who look after this place is an enormous source of pride and has contributed in no small way to my identity as a writer, but it's time to move to a new phase. So this is not goodbye, it's just a change. Hopefully, in the not too distant future, I'll be able to drop by the announcements forum and tell you I've followed in the footsteps of so many of our fellow members and found an agent, or even better, a home for at least one of my novels.

Wish me luck! See you around the boards. :)

Uncarved
12-30-2007, 10:19 PM
ChunkyC you'll be missed, but I completely understand. When the forum starts becoming more like work than fun, its time to step back. Be well in all that you do.
You're one of the good ones.

Tina

Kudra
12-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Nope, you won't be missed. Because you're NOT leaving. Only changing your mod status. That's cool. Can't, and don't want to, argue with that.

Good luck on that novel! Join us in The Weekend Progress Report (Humor forum) if you need a push.

scarletpeaches
12-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Can I have your job? :D

JennaGlatzer
12-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Love you, CC.

jdkiggins
12-30-2007, 11:03 PM
I'll miss you, CC. You've done a lot of terrific things here at AW. I wish you the best on accomplishing your goals. Here's wishing you success in completing, submitting, and publishing those novels.

((HUGS)) Don't be a stranger on the forums. Visit when you find a little time.

jenngreenleaf
12-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Good luck!!! I'm glad this isn't good-bye!!! :)

Chumplet
12-30-2007, 11:51 PM
This is a good example of the great things the mods do for this forum. I imagine it's a time consuming and sometimes thankless job. I thank you for being here, Chunky, as well as all the other mods. I can't fathom how hard it is to juggle work, family, writing and helping to run such a great forum. I'll just stick to work, family and writing!

See you around the threads, dude.

Perks
12-31-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm glad you'll still be here. I wish you much success with time management and loads of inspiration for your heart's work.

melaniehoo
12-31-2007, 12:22 AM
Best wishes for getting back to your real life. :D

kristie911
12-31-2007, 12:25 AM
Good luck on your endeavors CC.

I'm glad we'll still see you around. :D

brokenfingers
12-31-2007, 12:31 AM
Best wishes for your writing endeavors, CC. I understand the need to prioritize in order to fulfill those goals you hold most dear.

Go for it and good luck.

P.H.Delarran
12-31-2007, 01:46 AM
Thanks for all you've done here, you're definitely one of the Good Guys.
You deserve to do well, I wish you the best.

ChunkyC
12-31-2007, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the good wishes, y'all. It really means a lot. :Hug2:

Can I have your job? :D
Are you insane?! Wait ... scratch that. ;)

rhymegirl
12-31-2007, 02:50 AM
When I started reading your post, Charlie, I said, "Oh no!" That's because we all think you're a great guy who's done a great job here and we don't want to lose you. How can we be Charlie-less?

But then I read the rest of your post and realized that you need to do what is best for you and your family.

So good luck to you, Charlie, and thank you for all you've done for AW. :)

TrainofThought
12-31-2007, 02:52 AM
Good luck, ChunkyC! I wish you luck with life and writing. :D

Susie
12-31-2007, 04:52 AM
Chunky, much good luck with your writing, etc. and know you won't be far away from AW. Once an AW'er is addicted, that's it. I know.:) Many thanks for your great work.

III
12-31-2007, 04:56 AM
You've been such a blessing to all of us Charlie. Thanks for your service and your loving heart. Now go write the next great Canadian novel and enjoy your wife's company.

CACTUSWENDY
12-31-2007, 05:26 AM
:)...Best wishes to your new 'time' and thank you for allllllll the work you have done with this place. We all will be looking forward to your updated news and wish you much success. :D

Serena Casey
12-31-2007, 06:40 AM
Good for you for prioritizing your life and making changes you deem necessary. Even though it's AW's loss, best wishes to you!! :)

Azure Skye
12-31-2007, 06:52 PM
Aww, man. It's sad to see you go, but do what you must. Good luck Chunky!

SpookyWriter
12-31-2007, 06:59 PM
Good luck with the writing, Charlie. You're a super person and very talented, both technical and as a writer. I look forward to seeing you around the forums now that you have a little freetime available.

tjwriter
12-31-2007, 07:26 PM
You've been THE MAN around here for as long as I can remember, CC, and I'm sorry to see you step back from that role.

However, it's what you need, and we can hardly fault you for that. So best of luck seeing your spouse and getting some writing done! :tongue

You're one of the sweetest guys I know. I mean, you brought us buttons to Archon for cryin' out loud! I'm still touch by that, and it's in my keepsake box.

Tori

triceretops
12-31-2007, 07:30 PM
You're the absolute best, dude. Yea, you come over to this side and be one of us now--but only when you have the time. You get all that writing you need to get done. And, you will be here announcing the big one.

Gak. What a legacy.

Tri:Hug2:

Susan B
12-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks and good luck! Sounds like the write (oops--I mean "right" :-) choice for you.

Susan

truelyana
12-31-2007, 08:41 PM
All the best CC. I know what it's like. :)

Puma
01-01-2008, 03:13 AM
All the best, ChunkyC. We really appreciate all the help you've given everyone around here. Your shoes will be hard to fill. Puma

sandyn
01-01-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm in awe of the wonderful job of all the mods. And I'm glad you realize you need to re-group and take some time to do 'your thing.'

Best of luck, and thanks for your good work.

poetinahat
01-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Brother, if this means we get to keep you longer, I'm all for it.

Thank you for, well, keeping this place going -- and for being so unrelentingly hilarious.

Well done.

Soccer Mom
01-02-2008, 03:21 AM
:sniffles: Just as long as you aren't leaving!

Mom'sWrite
01-02-2008, 03:50 AM
Oh Chunky, what a wonder you have been. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into AW. It's because of you and the others here that give their time so generously that AW is the Viper Room of writers' sites. You rock, you have rocked and you will continue to rock ever into the future.

Write well

AmyDoodle
01-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Chunky, You are the AbsoluteBest! So, best of luck in all things. I'm glad you're not leaving--we couldn't get along without you!

Bufty
01-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Chunky - you're a champ. All the best.

C.bronco
01-02-2008, 07:53 PM
ChunkyC, thanks for the moderating! It will be good to see you around the boards.

cray
01-02-2008, 11:10 PM
thank you for all your hard work and time here!
best wishes, chunkyc, see you around.

ChunkyC
01-02-2008, 11:21 PM
You folks are too kind. :Hug2:

Well, it's all official. I'm a part of the great unwashed now ... hey, I don't have to be on my best behaviour anymore -- I can go over to politics and make a post even Haskins will feel compelled to report. :e2teeth:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-02-2008, 11:32 PM
CC! I just found this thread... all the best to you and yours! Knowing how much time this place can eat, I can't fault you for stepping back to regroup and rethink. Good luck!

oneblindmouse
01-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks for everything, ChunkyC. You helped me out on my very first day on the boards, for which I shall be eternally grateful (seeing as how I seem to spend an eternity in AW instead of on my writing! Sigh!). But glad that we'll be seeing more of you on the threads. Good luck with your writing.

dancingandflying
01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
oh noes! we'll all miss you, but if you want to step down, it's the right decision.

:) peace.

L M Ashton
01-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Charlie, if ever there were great reasons to step down, yours are it. You were a great mod, but at least you're not going anywhere. :) Good luck with the writing and publishing stuff, eh? :)

rtilryarms
01-04-2008, 12:11 AM
You folks are too kind. :Hug2:

Well, it's all official. I'm a part of the great unwashed now ... hey, I don't have to be on my best behaviour anymore -- I can go over to politics and make a post even Haskins will feel compelled to report. :e2teeth:

Then you might have to deal with me pal!

Inky
01-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Well, you better let me know when you're published so I can add you to my library!!
I look forward to seeing you; understand about needing more personal time.

III
01-04-2008, 12:36 AM
:popcorn: Waiting for Charlie's explosion of pent-up debauchery or at least a bawdy new avatar.

jamiehall
01-04-2008, 06:05 AM
:Hug2::cry::Hug2::cry::Hug2::cry::Hug2::cry:

Good luck, and I understand about not having enough time for everything!

Little Red Barn
01-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Thank you CC!!! We appreciate all your hard work and help you've given to many!
hugs!

Rolling Thunder
01-04-2008, 06:11 AM
:popcorn: Waiting for Charlie's explosion of pent-up debauchery or at least a bawdy new avatar.

Oh yeah! After reading all that stuff he posted over the years on the non-existent Mod Room Cafeteria bulletin board :Wha: I still have a hard time ordering lobster and steak every time I think about it.

Haggis
01-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Oh yeah! After reading all that stuff he posted over the years on the non-existent Mod Room Cafeteria bulletin board :Wha: I still have a hard time ordering lobster and steak every time I think about it.

*sigh* Yeah. I can't order the paella either. Of course, that's because I remember Chunky putting creamed corn on top of it, then stirring the whole thing up. :Wha:

Rolling Thunder
01-04-2008, 06:20 AM
You ate a big plate of that, mixed the same way, at the New Year's Eve party. Don't you remember?

Haggis
01-04-2008, 06:44 AM
You ate a big plate of that, mixed the same way, at the New Year's Eve party. Don't you remember?

I wasn't eating it. I was...uh...returning it to the plate. :(

Rolling Thunder
01-04-2008, 06:50 AM
I wasn't eating it. I was...uh...returning it to the plate. :(

Um...yeah. But after another bottle or two of champagne, well...you know how dogs are. :P

Haggis
01-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Um...yeah. But after another bottle or two of champagne, well...you know how dogs are. :P

Well, yeah. We do that. But what you did was inexcusable.

Rolling Thunder
01-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Um...we're off topic. Charlie is being roasted here now, not me. :tongue

Haggis
01-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Um...we're off topic. Charlie is being roasted here now, not me. :tongue

Well, yeah. Okay. But don't do that anymore. That's disgusting.

Sorry, Charlie. :)

Rolling Thunder
01-04-2008, 07:12 AM
sucker

Devil Ledbetter
01-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Best of luck to you Chuncky.

brianm
01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
I can completely relate to what you are saying. Best wishes and I know it won't be long before that first novel is picked up.

- brianm

Cassiopeia
01-04-2008, 11:20 AM
All the best in your endeavors. I'm glad we will still have your posts with their wisdom and humour to help us all.

Kim :)

writerterri
01-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Oh, man. I'll miss you. Let me dork you one last time. K?

Dork.

But you'll still come in and say hello, wont'cha?

ChunkyC
01-04-2008, 07:20 PM
HELLO! :D

*sigh* Yeah. I can't order the paella either. Of course, that's because I remember Chunky putting creamed corn on top of it, then stirring the whole thing up. :Wha:
And this bothers you because....? ;)

rhymegirl
01-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Well, it's all official. I'm a part of the great unwashed now ... hey, I don't have to be on my best behaviour anymore

Ooh, Charlie is one of us.

Robin Bayne
01-04-2008, 10:30 PM
I wish you good writing and happy times with your family.

Pamster
01-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Good luck!!! I'm glad this isn't good-bye!!! :)

I might be a little late but I second this ChunkyC! Here's to seeing your own announcement about selling a novel soon, if not in 2008, stick to it and it will be 2009. I am in the same boat timewise, never enough to get everything done. It's easy to fall into that. I definitely appreciate all the work you've done. :) :snoopy:

Take care and see you around the forums! :D

Cabria
01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
I've only just seen this now. All the best Charlie - with your writing, work, family, everything! Glad to see that you'll still be around! And thanks for all you've contributed here as a wonderful mod.

Debbie :)

Kerr
02-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Get to work now, CC. We're all expecting to be part and partner to great things to come. Good luck with all.

paprikapink
02-02-2008, 12:18 AM
So it's been a whole month since CC transitioned to, uh, whatever we're called. And AW's still up and running! It's a testament to the great state he left it in (and to whomsoever's picked it up, I suppose).

Greenwolf103
02-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Erm, I just found this thread.

CC, good luck to you with your writing!! :Hug2: I, too, am glad you're not leaving AW altogether. I know what it's like to be on a time crunch.

stormie
02-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey, C.C! Just found this announcement. I'm late to finding things out, as usual. Glad you're still sticking around, though, even if not as mod or administrator. You're always so helpful!