Multiple Manuscripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Of course, I've heard to submit your query then just go start on your next book etc.

What if you have three or four books? You're only supposed to pitch one per agent. I've also heard rule-of-thumb to not requery an agent for six months.

My most desirable agent did look at a partial on one, then passed, but I'd really love to send her another of one she might like.

All my books are of the same genre. I hate sending them each out to different agents. What if (hell freezes over) two different agents offer representation for two different books? What if one of those agents already passed on the other book?

Of course, this is all wishful thinking except having four books to pitch pretty much at the same time, say within two-three months of each other? I've got two ready to go, another in final edit, and #4's first draft is complete.

How do you multi-book folks juggle the querying among agents?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of responses did you get from the agent who passed? Anything but a form?

Many agents, if they're excited about the writing but perhaps not the story, will send a rejection letter coupled with "but I'd like to see something else in the future."

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Pick the manuscript you consider your strongest and query that one only. Once it's accepted, let your agent know about the others.

The KISS principle applies here.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
Actually, if you've gotten enought feedback from people to know that they're all strong - and you can be brief in your descriptions - I'd recommend at least mentioning the others.

I know this goes against the "established wisdom/etiquette" - but think about it. An agent will only make real money on you if you're able to supply a series of books, as opposed to a single book.

Last edited:

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
I have a question in a similar vein to this, which is regarding new manuscripts and querying. I queried a finished manuscript the past few months, but the query process being what it is and taking how long it does, my new manuscript is about to be ready to be submitted. I've got an agent looking at a full right now, but I'm not sure how high my hopes are on that one. I feel a lot better about this new novel than the last, so I'm anxious to get querying. It's been at least a couple-three months since I queried the first manuscript with some agents. How long should I wait before sending out queries for this one that's almost ready for submission? Just when it gets ready, or is there some sort of, "Well, if you sent them a query about your other one, you need to wait x amount of time before querying about the new one."?

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard this. Is that for the SAME book or for a DIFFERENT book?

Different book. Heck, even I know enough not to send the same book to an agent who already passed.

Since all are in the same genre, then the same agent might be interested. Having her ask for a partial was encouraging.

The rejection was form, but I know that's the policy of the agency. Nothing personal, eh?

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question in a similar vein to this, which is regarding new manuscripts and querying. I queried a finished manuscript the past few months, but the query process being what it is and taking how long it does, my new manuscript is about to be ready to be submitted. I've got an agent looking at a full right now, but I'm not sure how high my hopes are on that one. I feel a lot better about this new novel than the last, so I'm anxious to get querying. It's been at least a couple-three months since I queried the first manuscript with some agents. How long should I wait before sending out queries for this one that's almost ready for submission? Just when it gets ready, or is there some sort of, "Well, if you sent them a query about your other one, you need to wait x amount of time before querying about the new one."?

Colby: My understanding is six months. That's based on Nathan Bransford's blog advice. It seems to me that Miss Snark said something similar.

Anyone?

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
Colby -- I think you wait to query the second book when it is done and polished and ready for submission. I had requests for the full the day I sent my first query and I'm a big believer that you don't want to keep an agent waiting -- you want to send the full when their enthusiasm is high (and your idea is still fresh in their mind).

Especially if the prevailing wisdom is to wait a bit longer before querying anyway -- might as well spend that time polishing your second manuscript up :)

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I never followed the six month rule. I figured if they just rejected my query, they probably won't remember me, and if they rejected a partial or a full, perhaps they'll be interested in another project.

*shrugs*

I would've had to sit on some manuscripts for a long time if I followed that rule.

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
That's my thing...I've revised and polished and I'm working on my synopsis now, so I'm not talking about querying tomorrow; I will definitely have it in the best shape I can before sending out. What I'm getting at, though, is that it'll be ready a good bit before that 6 months mark has passed, and as Provrb said, I'd have to sit on it a long time if I follow that rule. I want to do things right, but I also don't want to cool my heels if I feel like it's ready to go. Any thoughts?

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I queried an agent like, three months back and he read my full and rejected with encouraging comments, but no "like to see more stuff" specifics. Now, my second MS is ready to go. Should I wait another three months, or can I still query this agent, even though he read my full?

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
I have the same problem. I queried an agent like, three months back and he read my full and rejected with encouraging comments, but no "like to see more stuff" specifics. Now, my second MS is ready to go. Should I wait another three months, or can I still query this agent, even though he read my full?

Seems like the worst he can do is reject you again. If you wait, do you think it's more likely that he would accept you?

But I would make sure that the problems discussed in the first MS are completely addressed in the second...

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
While I trust Nathan Bransford's word on all things publishing, cute little puppy that he is, I'm not too into waiting the six months. But I'd also want to make sure my query, synopsis, and (oh yeah) the book was absolutely ready for the ball.

All your comments here have been very helpful to me. But what else is AW for?

Status
Not open for further replies.