Is a lady's grumpytime really that much fun?

Reaction score
I've just seen a television commercial for a particular brand of...umm...feminine hygiene product. The woman wasn't bungee-jumping or water ski-ing or any of those other things you're supposed to do at that time of the month, but what struck me was this - the slogan at the end of the ad: "Have a happy period."

I mean...what? :eek:

Trust me, dude. Periods are not 'happy'. I bet a man came up with that slogan.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
You're probably right about a male conceiving the ad and campaign. Presumably the final result was market tested on focus groups. Even if so, there are quite a number of cases of advertiser's pulling their campaigns off the air because the wider target group didn't like/respond to it the way it was anticipated. Look out for articles in national papers and/or their websites for comment, as well as the publications aimed at the target demographic. See how long the ad/campaign lasts.

Reaction score
At best, they're a nuisance. But 'happy'? I'm amazed that anyone could think they're happy. I'm not annoyed...I'd say mildly amused.

Ask me in a couple of weeks if I'm still so amused and I probably won't be. ;)

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Ha Scarlet you aren't the only one, I had this sent to me in an email and I found it hilarious.

Dear Mr. James Thatcher,

I have been a loyal user of your “Always” maxi pads for over 20 years and I appreciate many of their features. Why, without the Leak Guard Core or Dri-Weave absorbency, I’d probably never go horseback riding or salsa dancing, and I’d certainly steer clear of running up and down the beach in tight, white shorts.But my favorite feature has to be your revolutionary Flexi-Wings. Kudos on being the only company smart enough to realize how crucial it is that maxi pads be aerodynamic. I can’t tell you how safe and secure I feel each month knowing there’s a little F-16 in my pants.

Have you ever had a menstrual period, Mr. Thatcher? Ever suffered from “the curse”? I’m guessing you haven’t. Well, my “time of the month” is starting right now. As I type, I can already feel hormonal forces violently surging through my body. Just a few minutes from now, my body will adjust and I’ll be transformed into what my husband likes to call “an inbred hillbilly with knife skills.” Isn’t the human body amazing?

As Brand Manager in the Feminine-Hygiene Division, you’ve no doubt seen quite a bit of research on what exactly happens during your customers’ monthly visits from “Aunt Linda”. Therefore, you must know about the bloating, puffiness, and cramping we endure, and about our intense mood swings, crying jags, and out-of-control behavior. You surely realize it’s a tough time for most women. In fact, only last week, my friend Jennifer fought the violent urge to shove her boyfriend’s testicles into a George Foreman Grill just because he told her he thought Grey’s Anatomy was written by drunken chimps. Crazy!

The point is, sir, you of all people must realize that America is just crawling with homicidal maniacs in Capri pants… Which brings me to the reason for my letter.

Last month, while in the throes of cramping so painful I wanted to reach inside my body and yank out my uterus, I opened an Always maxi-pad, and there, printed on the adhesive backing, were these words: “Have a Happy Period.” Are you freakin’ kidding me? What I mean is, does any part of your tiny middle-manager brain really think happiness - actual smiling, laughing happiness is possible during a menstrual period? Did anything mentioned above sound the least bit pleasurable? Well, did it, James?
FYI, unless you’re some kind of sick S&M freak girl, there will never be anything “happy” about a day in which you have to load yourself up on Motrin and Kahlua and lock yourself in your house just so you don’t march down to the local Wal-Mart armed with a hunting rifle and a sketchy plan to end your life in a blaze of glory.

For the love of God, pull your head out of your butt, man!
If you just have to slap a moronic message on a maxi pad, wouldn’t it make more sense to say something that’s actually pertinent, like “Put down the Hammer” or “Vehicular Manslaughter is Wrong”, or are you just picking on us?

Sir, please inform your Accounting Department that, effective immediately, there will be an $8 drop in monthly profits, for I have chosen to take my maxi-pad business elsewhere. And though I will certainly miss your Flex-Wings, I will not for one minute miss your brand of condescending bull crap. And that’s a promise I will keep. Always.

Sincerely,
Wendi

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
At best, they're a nuisance. But 'happy'? I'm amazed that anyone could think they're happy. I'm not annoyed...I'd say mildly amused.

Ask me in a couple of weeks if I'm still so amused and I probably won't be. ;)

Well, I'm not amused NOW so I laid down the hammer and used Rlngthunder's link to tell 'em so.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I've just seen a television commercial for a particular brand of...umm...feminine hygiene product. The woman wasn't bungee-jumping or water ski-ing or any of those other things you're supposed to do at that time of the month, but what struck me was this - the slogan at the end of the ad: "Have a happy period."

I've seen that ad, too. Even as a man, it made me laugh because I could guess the reaction it would get.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it much better than seeing a bunch of women wearing white pants, poised in various legs-apart activities?

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Is it much better than seeing a bunch of women wearing white pants, poised in various legs-apart activities?

No.

It's all condescending and obnoxious. I don't know why they spend millions on advertising anyway. Unfortunately for us, we have to have the stuff, we'll buy it and make our own product choices regardless of ads.

Reaction score
Um...yes.

Sorry.

You just are.

I bet I can predict your reaction when I say this next word...

"Tits!"

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I... maybe I'm being silly here, but I think that the better part of 90% of all [COMMERCIALS FOR] feminine hygiene products are really, really stupid.

Edit-- Left out some critical words.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Would you prefer women walked about with monthly gloop running down their legs, then?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Would you prefer women walked about with monthly gloop running down their legs, then?

I think most woman would be capable of finding tampons without a work-force of advertisers helping them.

(I edited my post.)

Reaction score
True. So it's the advertising you object to, not the product? And on that we most certainly agree.

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had a "happy" period and I can guarantee I never will.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm "happy" to not need these products anymore.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
makes me wonder just what will womanhood do always ... whence the ice-age commeth.

Rosie_81

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
What a stupid stupid slogan! I'm so glad I don't use them anymore. I've been using my mooncup for well over a year now and there's no looking back for me! Plus there's no idiotic advertising to put up with.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
That's obnoxious. A man definitely designed that because no woman would ever think to make the "Best" out of her period. It's painful, it's messy, and you're unstable emotionally. It's all around awful! Thank goodness for birth control that stops them!

Eskimo1990

is here :)
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had a "happy" period. And I never will. I had been blessed for awhile and wouldn't have cramps, but suddenly I do now and it is the most painful thing I've had to endure. And it sucks cause I can't swallow pills :(

So there commercial is a load of crap. No women is going to have a "happy" period. Ever.