Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Yeah, looks like I'm having one of those days. I'm 18k into hob an lam, and I feel like everything, every word I put down, is pure drek.

I know. I should be BIC writing drivel until things come right again. It's mid-novel slump. Yeah yeah yeah.

So, what do you do when it hits? Are there any words of wisdom you tell yourself that gives you the strength to keep plugging on?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That kind of moment is the reason my first step in starting any book is to write down the idea/thought/falsh/inspiration that geeked me so much about committing to this story in the first place. Whatever that it, I make many copies and plaster it everywhere that I'm likely to write--monitors, notebooks, back of my hand, whatever.

And when I hit the points where the words don't come, that things just aren't working and I'm ready to walk away from the whole business, there it is. That thing that made me love this book so much. Reading it over (as many times as needed) normally brings rekindles the fires of my imagination and gets me excited and energetic again. That generally is all that it takes for me to get over whatever mid-book hump I'm experiencing in short order.

Good luck in finding something that works for you.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Don't be so hard on yourself. Just write. Don't judge it. Get from the beginning to the end. If you can do that, you're ahead.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Well, it might have felt like pulling teeth, but I have my 2000 words for the day.

Eventually they came a little easier, when I made myself stop worrying about how people would read this. I told myself that the only person who is ever going to read it is me, so I should just write without fear, and that helped a lot. I think it's going to be my mantra every day for the next month - No One Is Going To Read This.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
So, what do you do when it hits? Are there any words of wisdom you tell yourself that gives you the strength to keep plugging on?

Everyday I say I'm not going to goof off in here...but every morning I log in AW before checking my e-mail. Seeing posts like this helps because later when I start to read my WIP & mentally bash myself - I have the courage to go on. When I hit a wall - you'll usually find me in writers prompts & games for a pick me up. Sappy - but AW is what gives me strength. Good luck!

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Everyday I say I'm not going to goof off in here...but every morning I log in AW before checking my e-mail.
I say the same thing every morning, too, and do the *exact* same thing as you. ;) It's an addiction, I suppose. I've been playing with The Write-Brain Workbook to get me back into the swing of things. It's very different from the kind of writing I typically do, so it's been helping me shake back into what I'm used to writing. If that makes any sense at all . . . ? :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Whew! Here I thought it was some new writing term I didn't know!

Anyway, best advice, and its probably been said already, keep writing. Plow right through. Smash down that wall. Write anything that comes to mind.

Make the character hungry and send him to a restaurant where something happens. Or have someone call him on his cell phone. Just write anything. You might write a few hundred or even a few thousands words and then suddenly the real direction you want to go will come to you and off you go!

Sometimes even just rereading what you have might inspire something.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Up until a month ago I used to say, "Just write." And I did that for almost eight years. But then something happened that stopped me dead in my tracks. I couldn't even write a simple email. It was as if my brain went on freeze-frame. Nothing helped, not even reading books on writing (which I'd start and put down after the first few sentences). I did continue to read novels and newspapers, and of course, read posts here at AW.

The other night, though, I had a very clear dream. It involved a story for a novel I had started a few years ago and put aside. I dreamt how it could go, how the characters would be, the scenery, everything. And when I woke up, I remembered most of it and liked it. Of course it will need tweaking here and there, but it got me motivated. Since then I've worked on an essay and submitted it, and a poem (that desperately needs more work), and am in the process of working on that novel I dreamt about.

Do what you have to do. If it means writing drivel for now, do it. If it means taking a small sabatical, do that. Or even write something completely different from what you normally write.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Like others have said, sometimes you just have to force yourself to write drivel. Remember, there is some best-selling drivel out there, so who knows?

Also, doing anything as a full-time job can be too much. Sometimes your mind is just saying "give me two weeks of vacation" and you'd better do it. Write down a date on your calendar when you are going to start writing again (so this doesn't turn into a long-term procrastination stint but has a definite end) and then just relax.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Thanks guys. :D Guess the consensus is - write drivel, edit the drivel out later.

I just have to keep reminding myself that there will be time enough to tweak when the book is done.

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, am a member of the Too Stupid Club. Too stupid, too lazy, too uninspired, too incompetent. A Dumb Old Broad who chose writing as a midlife crisis instead of something sane like an affair or a sportscar or plastic surgery.

Yet, somehow I have this WIP that's getting longer every week and yes, a lot of it is dreck, but there's some darned good writing in there, too. I can see it if I take off my grey-tinted glasses for a moment.

Last edited:

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
You know, the word too had me stumped for second there. I was actually wondering if I had misspelled the word too.

Ack. Ack.

Back to our regular programming.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Totally, or at least mostly, off-topic: so, what DOES it mean? In conjunction with your book and all?

Or can't you tell us? :)

Ha no - it's a working title, so it nothing more than a place holder really. Hobs and lams are social castes. the an bit is me being to dialectey clever for my own good.

(hint - my sig, my darlings, the ones that must be murdered ;) )

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of in that rut, too. I'm not sure what to write, and when I have an idea and begin to write, I know the quality is pretty much on the shitty side. The only thing I can suggest is when I'm not sure what to write, I rewrite the entire outline and try to plug in what's missing. And if you're problem is just purely not being able to write at your best, then maybe take a quick walk and get your blood flowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.