Klingons

Reaction score
No, not those ones. I mean clingy friends.

We've all got them.

One person in particular...if I make the mistake of sending her a text or speaking to her when I run into her on the bus or at the shops, I know - I just know - that she'll start with the phone calls, suggesting we hang out at the weekend, or "Hey, I could come round later if you fancied some company!" Shows how little she knows me, eh? Last minute self-issued invitations? I think not.

And she calls with inconsequential nonsense about her kids, her house, her family, whatever...and I know this sounds cruel but I'm just not interested. This is the same person who makes and breaks arrangements at the last minute, mucks people about and she's 'different with boys' - any viewers of The Fast Show will know what I'm talking about there. Especially if said boys are 'attached'.

But. Here's the most annoying thing. She calls. Four or five times a night. And I ignore her number. And she calls back straight away. Not thinking, "Oh, she must be busy, or asleep, or can't hear the phone. I'll wait an hour or so and try again." But five minutes later, my phone goes.

If I didn't answer five minutes ago, chances are I'm not going to answer now, mmmkay?

As if that's not clingy enough, she's taken to using another SIM card with a new number, thinking I won't recognise it so I'll answer...but I never pick up unless it's someone already in my phone book anyway.

In the past ten minutes I've had two calls. And one voicemail. No text, though, which I can't understand. Why not just text me if it's that important and I'll actually have the message on my phone to read as soon as I become available?

And I don't know how to tell her to just f*** off and leave me alone. We have nothing in common. She bores me. I've had to cope with her dramas too often to give a damn. She's the original girl who cried wolf.

You'd think she'd take the hint by now that I have my own life apart from her and if she has such a wonderful existence with loads of great pals, why doesn't she go hassle them instead of picking on me to be her audience?

Gah.

/rant off.

Tell me about your 'klingons' so I know I'm not the only one.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, I have one. She's nice enough, but she's most certainly a give inch-take mile kind of person. I'm terrible at telling people to eff off too, so I go with the passive not answering phone/too busy to talk/email/meet for coffee approach. I try to limit our interactions to an exchange of Christmas cards once per year, but of course she calls to tell me how cute my card was.

I feel bad for her, and terrible about blowing her off, but really, I'm not in the market for a Siamese twin.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
You can have mine, Shadow Ferret. I'd be happy to forward her number along to you. She can be your new BFF.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
That's not Klingon. That's psychosis. Be sure to bone up by watching, "Single White Female," and then take a self-defense class.

In the class, the may be able to show you how to incorporate your Alphasmart Neo as some sort of nun-chuk or katana-like weapon.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
A girl at work has been trying to invite me over for drinks/swim/movies for a while. I make non-committal noises but accept the bags of second hand clothing she gives me because it's really nice stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I do my part. When she gets bent out of shape with fellow co-workers, I smooth things over and help her see the bigger picture. She still needs a lot of hand-holding because she can't seem to wrap her head around computer stuff. I help her out and I guess she's grateful. But she also has a nasty temper and I don't need that kind of angst. I deal with enough drama already.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I don't have any Kilngon friends although I'm also good at ignoring the phone. And I often wonder why people call back 30 seconds after hanging up.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of a joke--how is the Starship Enterprise like a roll of toilet paper? They both circle Uranus and pick up Klingons.

Now, see if some "toiley paper" can make her disappear...

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I've got three or four of those... and several who move into and out of that category regularly. Gods love her... my niece! I enjoy an occasional chat, but I do NOT need to talk to her four (yes, dear ones, FOUR) times a day.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
If you toss klingons into a commercial clothes dryer with about 25 fabric softener sheets and let them tumble on the High setting for an hour, they won't be klinging anymore.

:hat:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com