Funny baby monitor stories?

willwrite4food

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.FinishedPages.com
I'm writing an article on shopping for baby monitors and wanted to throw in a few stories about picking up other people's conversations on specific models. I'll never forget one Saturday night when my daughter was a baby. I kept picking up a teenaged neighbor calling various girls and discussing pretty graphic things with them, such as who had sex with who at what party. It turned out to be the kid across the street, who was sixteen at the time. Now I can't look at him the same way knowing about his sex life!

They are now making digital models that don't pick up as much interference, but I'd still like to throw in some funny stories to share. For the longest time I was afraid to talk on my cordless phone because I was afraid a neighbor with a baby monitor would be able to hear what I was talking about!

Paula Boon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulaboon.com
Hi,

A friend of mine was folding laundry and listening to her napping daughter upstairs on a baby monitor. She heard sounds of movement and yawning and then the little one started to sing to herself. "Wait a minute!" she thought. "She can't talk yet! She's just a few months old!"

She raced upstairs to see what was going on and her babe was still fast asleep. The monitor had been picking up a two-year-old next door whose mom had the same kind of monitor on the same frequency.

Good luck with the article!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I gave up using the baby monitor for night use when my daughter was about a month old. The great thing about monitors is that you can hear every sound your baby makes... and the bad thing about monitors is that you can hear every sound your baby makes.

Every time that kid coughed, burped or farted I'd sit bolt upright in bed, run to her room, and check on her. I was a walking zombie.

After that, I just used it at nap time so I would know when she woke up.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
When my daughter (now 7) was an infant, I took the monitor with me when we went to visit my inlaws. One night, I was sitting downstairs when I heard my brother in law on his cell phone. I don't remember what he was saying, but I do remember shutting the monitor off pretty quickly. I didn't want him to think I was spying on him.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I was on the other end of the story that you told. Our kids were sleeping in our bed for some reason, and we used our old monitor to make sure they weren't yapping til all hours. When they fell asleep we moved them to their own beds, and went to bed ourselves. Where we had hot married grown up sex complete with talking. Yep, that's right -- we forgot to turn off the monitor. And we knew someone on the street had the same frequency because we could hear their kid. We could only pray nobody heard, or at least admired our technique. :D

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
My monitor story is more strange than funny. My mother-in-law is 91 and has two 24 hour caretakers. She has a baby monitor in her room so they can hear her when she calls them. One day one of the caretakers called to say the smoke detector was screeching and she didn't know what to do. I went over and pushed the button that turns the detector off. I was just about to leave when the caretaker went into Mom's bedroom. I could hear them talking. The smoke detector went off again. The caretaker left the bedroom and the detector shut off. I thought, this couldn't be, but I tested it. I went in and talked to Mom and there it went again. Somehow the monitor was turning the smoke detector on. I have no explanation.

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
Just ran into this, from the December 30 Parade Magazine in the Sunday paper:

"Chicago teacher Natalie Meilinger didn't have to turn on the news for an update on NASA's space mission. She just turned on her video baby monitor. It was picking up video from inside the space shuttle Atlantis. The monitor maker's communicaitons director had never heard of anything like this. "Not even close,' she said. 'Gotta love technology.'"

I have also heard of people hearing radio broadcasts on their gold fillings. Weird.