What makes a dog a dog?

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
OK - so this has nothing to do with anything, but I'm curious. I am visiting my sister-in-law and she has two dogs - a black lab and a bassett hound. Then we arrived with our rat terrier. This morning I was watching the three of them playing and it struck me just how different the three dogs are. If I didn't know they were all dogs, I never would have guessed. So - what is the defining characteristic that makes a dog a dog? When you look at cats, they all look basically the same - sure there are some differences, but nothing like the differences between dogs. Horses, cows, pigs, etc... there are differences, but they all look basically the same. But dogs? If I didn't "know" they are all dogs, I would never guess. Any ideas on what makes a dog a dog?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
What makes a dog a dog? Charm, intelligence and extremely good looks. :D

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Without sounding judgmental or anything....but, did you hit the egg nog a bit too heavy this year? :D...(jk)

I would say that for the same reasons that humans are all different so too are dogs. I mean, stop and think about it. Tall-short. Fat-thin. So many colors. So many differences yet so much alike. Guess it is just the way things are. I bet dogs are less impressed with looks though. ;) Think they are more into smells.:tongue...IMHO (((((Happy New Year!)))))

JohnB1988

Registered
Reaction score
Evolution again.

Dogs & intelligent man probably co-evolved. Dogs got the sniffing and running duty, we got talking and Dr. Phil. (guess who won that game!) Anyway, with such a long mutual history and people selecting their lovable and highly useful companions for specific needs, there’s greater dog-shape variety. Cats and humans got together much later as their only--minimal--use is for catching small house vermin and creating hairballs. Hence, we haven’t had so much time to make them appear much different.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
We can tell that dogs are all the same species because they can breed with each other and produce fertile offspring.

Then there are DNA analyses, etc.

Now the questions around why dogs, as a species, are so highly differentiated compared to some other species are quite fascinating, and there have been several books written about this topic.

And there was a really good NOVA TV special about it!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was watching shows on dogs over last weekend, I think it was NatGeo who was running them.

It seems that canines have extremely easy to manipulate genetics that allows humans to breed them to specialities within just a few doggie generations. Because we've had so many various needs throughout history, we've used this trait to our extreme advantage, resulting in a plethora of specialized breeds within the species. It was actually very fascinating.

But what makes a dog a dog? Genetics, loyalty to and dependence on mankind (the shows also showed how differently dogs act compared to tamed wolves), basic behavior are what comes off the top of the mind.

Very very cool stuff. But, then, I'm weird a writer. :D

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
My Cardigan Welsh Corgi has been mistaken for a fox (???) So yes I agree, dogs have so much variety between them it seems odd that they are all considered the same. Obviously they are on a genetic level but appearance-wise, they are as different.well as cats and dogs.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Then there is that unconditional love thing-I have been called a dog but it was for different reasons-ahem ahem!!!

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
Aw..lookie! Haggis to go!
haggistogo.jpg

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Actually cats & dogs both came from the same genetic line miacis, a treeclimbing hunter. Dogs lost their retractable claws, kept roughly the same size 150-5 lbs(aside from man-made reductions like the teacup chihauhaus, etc) while cats range from the 13' long, 300 lb Siberian tiger to the few lbs domestic cat.

Dogs are social animals, pack creatures juggling for position. Cats also have social tiers but with less blood and more foul language.

Only cats and camels walk with both feet on the same side, alternating with feet on the other side. Dogs, elephants et al walk alternating feet.

Dogs ask for approval. Cats sit in judgement. :}

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I just have to defend cats. I respectfully disagree that cats all look basically the same.

Please be gentle - I was accused of being adopted at Christmas dinner because I am the only sibling (of 6) who has always been a cat person and never owned a dog.

I do, however, like my dog nieces and nephews, just not enough to live with them full time... :)

:e2cat: :e2cat:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Actually cats & dogs both came from the same genetic line miacis, a treeclimbing hunter.
Blasphemer! Heretic! Thou art dead in mine eyes! :rant:

If they come when they're called, they're dogs.

If they look and you and laugh when they're called, they're Jack Russell Terriers.

Actually, our Jack Russell does come when you call his name. He then jumps up on the couch, runs across the back of it, puts his front paws on your shoulder, and barks as loud as he can in your ear. Basically saying, "WHAT?!! I was busy, what's your problem?"

Our dalmatian, on the other hand, sleeps with his deaf ear up so he can't hear us.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite joke about the difference between dogs and cats:

"A dog thinks, 'Hey, you feed me and take care of me! You must be God.' A cat thinks, 'Hey, you feed me and take care of me! I must be God.'"

A ferret-loving friend's corollary: "A ferret thinks, 'Hey, you feed me and take--OOH LOOK! SHINY!'"

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
If they come when they're called, they're dogs.

If they look and you and laugh when they're called, they're Jack Russell Terriers.

Now wait a minute!! Our Rat Terrier comes when he is called and sits patiently at our feet waiting for his treat. (If I don't have a treat in my hand...well, that's a different story!!)

otterman

Word Voyeur
Registered
Reaction score
Watch The Dog Whisperer and you'll realize just how alike all dogs are, no matter what the breed, the size, etc. Granted, there are some characteristics that have been accentuated through breeding, but a dog is basically a dog. Now dog owners are another thing...

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
If it can make fertile babies with a dog, then it's a dog.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Watch The Dog Whisperer and you'll realize just how alike all dogs are, no matter what the breed, the size, etc. Granted, there are some characteristics that have been accentuated through breeding, but a dog is basically a dog. Now dog owners are another thing...
I've watched that show. I don't believe it. I don't believe someone can just come into the house of an unruly dog and by going "psst" make them suddenly the most well-behaved dog on the planet. I think there are about 6 weeks of behind the scenes training going on that they don't show us.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite dog/cat comparison:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

--DeleyanLee, who owns dogs and is owned by cats