Bleck a few months later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meldy

Instant humanJust add coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever written something they were totally in love with and then left it for a few months later, only to come back and re-read it and acknowledge it is pretty much garbage?

Is that normal or am I just one of those people who has no idea how badly they actually suck as a writer :e2paperba

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
It's all part of the learning curve. If you realize it sucks that much, you've come very far.

If you still love the concept, rewrite it.

If it's fatally flawed, start something new.

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
I've been through allll the phases.

Love it, hate it, love it again, want to rewrite it and then hate the side of it....

The good news is, once you progress as a writer, it does tend to get better. You still sometimes hate your writing (at least, I do) but you also tend to love it a whole lot more. Because you see yourself getting better.

That makes me happy. :)

Danthia

Totally normal :) And first drafts always suck. That's why everyone says to shelve a new project for a few months and get some distance on it. We always love what we write, so we don't see the flaws until we have some emotional seperation from it. Keyboards have a delete key for a reason! Don't fret and just make it better now that can see it objectively.

Good luck!

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
In a box somewhere I have PILES of garbage I wrote years ago. Stuff that I would never, EVER consider trying to have published.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I actually use that as a benchmark of a good book. Like, my book coming out next month. We were doing edits, and I still like it. Alot.

I mean, there were PARTS I hated, so I fixed them. And sure, when you write something and get distance, it's going to be flawed. As someone else said, if you still really hate it after a couple of drafts, pitch it and start over.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
For sure. I wrote my first manuscript when I was 17. God, it was horrible and so cliche.

Status
Not open for further replies.