PDA

View Full Version : Self-purchased books at PA

DaveKuzminski
03-07-2005, 01:14 AM
How many copies of your own book did you purchase from PA? This is of interest because we're gathering more information to find out just how many books PA is actually selling to real customers rather than their authors. Please participate.

Keep in mind that you don't have to do anything more than post. We're not looking to hold anyone up for embarrassment, so there's no need to make a separate post below the actual poll.

Renee
03-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Hum..I think I purchased about 30 of Tangled Web. Purchased zero of Break the Chain.

Ok, and I just voted in the poll, I didn't even see it the first time! lol..

Lisa Y
03-07-2005, 01:33 AM
Dave,

I purchased 50 once, got 10 for free and royalties on the 50. That was my biggest royalty check. The rest of my sales (maybe 16 or so) were due to the people that got the order form pretending to be an announcement (in other words, friends and family). "My fault" I guess as I stopped trying to market when local papers wouldn't review it and local stores wouldn't stock it.

astonwest
03-07-2005, 01:46 AM
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=109912&postcount=8885

As I stated in the post linked above, my total purchased was 143. I stopped trying to sell them many months ago (along with trying to market my book at all), and still have over forty copies left...ugh...

Have only received three requests around here for copies...very strange.

pasoroblan2003
03-07-2005, 03:24 AM
I've bought about 120 altogether, over a three year period. The last batch I bought was a special offer deal last July...I had my concerns about PA before then, but that was the end of it all for me. And the 50 books I bought are still in the boxes...I did manage to sell most of the 70 before that, but I've also given some away, sent some out as review copies, etc. Buying our own books to resell is pathetic and sad. But I bought into the whole "you have to market yourself" baloney. Now I have books and no one to sell them to.

Savannah Blue
03-07-2005, 04:52 AM
I haven't bought any, thank goodness! I asked friends and family not to buy them after I found out what a scam PublishAmerica is. I'm sorry I ever sent them one name. I'm further sorry to learn I had sold 7 copies when my statement finally came yesterday. I hate the fact that the company has profited one red cent off of my work and I hate that people were fleeced out of $16.95 for what could barely pass as a rough first draft. Most of all I just purely hate PublishAmerica!

Geeze, sounds like I need a chill pill, huh?

Sher2
03-07-2005, 05:00 AM
I haven't bought a single copy, nor will I. I'd rather kiss Willem, Larry, or Moe-randa. :roll:

bluwinteryfox
03-07-2005, 07:55 AM
My husband suggested we purchase 10 copies just in case the 10 the book store ordered for my signing didn't arrive.

Kevin Yarbrough
03-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Sherry, Willem here. I know you bought copies, I have the edited figures to prove it. So I will be awaiting that kiss. Please come by the ofice at your conveience. Since I am on the verge of a publishing revolution I do accept email kisses but they must be attached to the body of the email so as I can see who it is sending the kiss.

If you have any questions feel free to email me @authorsupport.com

Willem Meiners

PS- Please do kiss me. Miranda and Larry aren't getting any prettier, not to mention the mustache is tickling me. Thank God Larry shaves.

SeanDSchaffer
03-08-2005, 04:06 PM
To tell you the honest truth, Dave, I think I've bought about 6 to 10 copies -- I generally buy them two-at-a-time because of my low income.

I'm thinking about possibly purchasing one more copy because it has a new cover now, but with the lack of marketing I've experienced, I'm thinking I'll probably have to see if PA will be willing to terminate my contract; I simply don't have the ability with my income (I'm a Social Security Disability Recipient) to actively market a book through purchasing copies of it to sell on consignment.

Besides that, I was never exactly totally pleased with the book as I had submitted it to PA. I didn't really give it a well-thought-out title; the cover I designed was not exactly the best work I've ever done as an amateur artist; and the story was a difficult read in many places due to stinted writing. I would love to be able to give it the complete overhaul I've always wanted to finish it up with and try to publish it again under a different title and with a more reputable house.

It's a tough road to have to follow, but like people always say, you live and you learn. After my first royalty check and the fact I sold maybe six books through PA's site within a period of six months, I think I'm learning an awful lot right now. One thing I've learned is that I chose the wrong publisher for my book.

I will give PA this, though. I've been able to hold my own work in my own hands in a format other than computer-generated manuscript. And for that small bit of emotion -- as well the framed dollar bill hanging on my wall above my computer desk -- I'm decently happy.

DaveKuzminski
03-09-2005, 05:23 PM
No one has to apologize. There are plenty of valid reasons for buying your own books. We're interested in numbers only.

Please encourage any friends of yours who are PA authors to participate. We need a sampling of more than 35 authors.

DaveKuzminski
03-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Remember, we need facts. The facts we need can come only from PA writers, both current and former. If you know any PA authors, ask them to come here, participate in the poll, and look around to see that there's a wealth of information on writing and publishing that's free for them to use.

DaveKuzminski
03-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Okay, now we're getting responses again. Let's get the word out there that this poll can be answered without revealing your identity. We need to double the number of respondents, so please urge other PA authors to participate.

Keep in mind that this is also a way for every PA author past and present to gain a look at the true picture of where PA gets its money. Believe me, that's important to know, particularly for those writers trying to break free from PA.

Moondancer
03-17-2005, 07:03 PM
given some of the information on the big thread it might be interesting to find out where the ordered books came from... considering some thought perhaps there is another small press that PA uses for printing books.

I know they tout Lightning Source as the printer but if they are using another small press, it's not a big leap from the lie of stating only Lightning Source to hiding the numbers printed through the other printer to fudging royalty numbers.

Renee
03-23-2005, 05:44 AM
I thought there would be more replies to this by now. There are alot of ex-PA'ers over here.

astonwest
03-23-2005, 03:36 PM
I thought there would be more replies to this by now. There are alot of ex-PA'ers over here.

I imagine quite a few probably don't want to admit to how many they bought...but that's just a guess on my part.

DaveKuzminski
03-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Well, I suspect that PA gave us some valuable information when they admitted that over 1,000 books never sold a single copy. That means that just under a tenth of all their writers didn't self-purchase. I'd guess that an equal number self-purchased a couple of books to give as gifts to family members and close friends. However, that would imply that the rest, or approximately four-fifths, of the PA authors bought 50 or more of their own books.

It just occurred to me that there's one other question that needs to be asked of those who self-purchased. Did they purchase direct from PA or from a store in order to prime the pump in the hope of getting that store to stock some on its shelves?

In the meantime, remind everyone that participating in the voting portion of this topic doesn't reveal their identity. Only they will know whether they voted and how.

SeanDSchaffer
03-23-2005, 07:31 PM
It just occurred to me that there's one other question that needs to be asked of those who self-purchased. Did they purchase direct from PA or from a store in order to prime the pump in the hope of getting that store to stock some on its shelves?

In answer to your question, Dave, I bought my books from the PA bookstore itself. Besides not having an account with Amazon or other such places, at the time I thought it would be cheaper to buy direct from the Publisher.

Renee
03-24-2005, 02:06 AM
I imagine quite a few probably don't want to admit to how many they bought...but that's just a guess on my part.

That's probably true! But no one knows who voted unless they post here saying that they did. So hopefully others will realize that and go ahead and vote!

astonwest
03-25-2005, 05:35 PM
I bought my books from the PA bookstore itself. Besides not having an account with Amazon or other such places, at the time I thought it would be cheaper to buy direct from the Publisher.

Ummmm, but wouldn't it have been cheaper still to purchase your books through their phone number (not through their online store)? I was always under the impression that was the only way to get the author discount......

I suppose it depends on how many books were purchased, taking into account royalties and whatnot...

astonwest
03-25-2005, 05:37 PM
So hopefully others will realize that and go ahead and vote!

Hopefully...

T42
03-26-2005, 04:08 AM
That's probably true! But no one knows who voted unless they post here saying that they did. So hopefully others will realize that and go ahead and vote!I would rather choke then buy any of my books from them. I have sent letters to all friends and family members telling them not to buy any and I have posted a review on amazon with my book stating the truth and welcome anyone who wants to post facts (info) to feel free. Jenna put the link to the book up but it's on the pa post. Just search Memory McDermott:)
You all have a nice Easter Weekend!

Renee
03-26-2005, 05:57 AM
I'd rather them choke, Mem..lol..*PA*

And Big Daddy a.k.a. aston: Yes, hopefully, but still the poll isn't moving fast enough for me!

:guns:Pull out the big gun folks: vote, save a life: It could be one of our own! :Guitar: Really though we all need to stick together and get something done about PA. Things like voting can only help.

T42
03-26-2005, 11:51 PM
I'd rather them choke, Mem..lol..*PA*

And Big Daddy a.k.a. aston: Yes, hopefully, but still the poll isn't moving fast enough for me!

:guns:Pull out the big gun folks: vote, save a life: It could be one of our own! :Guitar: Really though we all need to stick together and get something done about PA. Things like voting can only help.That was good Renee, I need to get over here more often.:roll:

Renee
03-27-2005, 11:31 AM
That was good Renee, I need to get over here more often.:roll:

I have my moments, Mem.. :wag:

T42
03-28-2005, 08:24 AM
I have my moments, Mem.. :wag:Now I've seen more then a few of them:) Ha, I don't seem to get to far away from the pa or death thread...:popcorn:

Renee
03-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Ok..so I have had several moments..hehe...

I do try to move around from thread to thread.

Ya know..spreading the wealth..

:banana:

abwallace
03-30-2005, 05:35 AM
Well, I suspect that PA gave us some valuable information when they admitted that over 1,000 books never sold a single copy. That means that just under a tenth of all their writers didn't self-purchase. I'd guess that an equal number self-purchased a couple of books to give as gifts to family members and close friends. However, that would imply that the rest, or approximately four-fifths, of the PA authors bought 50 or more of their own books.

In the meantime, remind everyone that participating in the voting portion of this topic doesn't reveal their identity. Only they will know whether they voted and how.

In my case, and this is in 2001 and 2002, I bought books back from stores. They ordered from PA and then I bought books that didn't sell at cost. At the time it was not my intent to get stores to place books on their shelf--it was just an agreement store and I came to so a book signing would be possible. This happened with two stores, then I stopped trying to get book signings cause I had enough books on hand and didn't want to purchase anymore. I think I had more luck than most with book signings, etc.. in the first year my book was released.

Toni

DaveKuzminski
03-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Let's ask more PA authors to participate. We need more accuracy in our facts just so there's less wiggle room for PA.

eighter
04-01-2005, 06:30 PM
A total of 302

251 the first order.........they didn't come in time for the signing........and the wrong set of proofs went to the printer had mistakes.

51 the 2nd order...........had tried to order another 251 on the 2nd order but they refused to give me the same discount as the first so I was waiting for another sale ......

My contract was cancelled by my request before another order was placed.

Molly Brent
There Ain't Enough Front Porches

DaveKuzminski
04-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Remember, you don't have to post in the message area of this topic in order to vote. You don't have to make yourself identifiable unless you want to.

Sparhawk
04-01-2005, 07:18 PM
I bought a fair number my own books, I can't afford to buy anymore and I won't. It's simply a losing propositon. The books I buy, I don't get a royalty (unless there's some promotion going on). When I go to a book signing the Bookstore gets 20 - 30% of each sale on the book so I will never ever recover my inital investment. I'd post my ledger speadsheet but I'm too embarassed everytime I see all the negative RED numbers.

I spoke with Borders in Marlboro this morning, (I'll be meeting with them on Saturday) The person I spoke with said that unfortunatley because of a no return policy by my publisher, they will not be able to purchase any copies of my book, but that I am still welcome to come in and discuss participating in a book signing event. :( .

lindylou45
04-02-2005, 05:21 AM
I only bought one of my first book when a friend said she wanted a copy and I didn't want her to have to pay the high cost. I didn't buy any of my second book and thankfully, neither has anyone else! How many authors with reputable publishers do you think would make a statement like that one? That's right -- zero!

James D. Macdonald
04-02-2005, 05:55 AM
Ah, Lindy! I too bought one copy of one of my own books once.

I was a couple of hundred miles from home (where all those nice cartons of books are lying), and someone asked me for a copy of one of my books. I didn't have one along ... so I popped over to a mall, bought one, and came back and gave it to him, all nicely signed. I never mentioned where I got it.

Guys, tell you what.

I'll clean out my PM box here -- the first ten people who PM me with their address will get a copy of one or another of our books (possibly under a pseudonym). Let me know if you'd prefer "kid's" or "adult." I'll delete this offer when I get the ten. Let me know if you need it signed, and who you need it signed to.

Love you all.

Ken Schneider
04-02-2005, 05:59 AM
One more quick note Dave.

The day I called to order my books, the girl had an excitement in her voice, said that the system was "down, and that she would call me right back. I thought they'll call me tomorrow or something. Wack! powwwy, Blamm! Two minutes later she called. "it's fixed, how many did you want to order."
I wonder what she really had to do for those few minutes.

More then likely called Moelarrya so they could scratch another line in the woodwork next to the crayon scribbling that says, "SUCKER"

DaveKuzminski
04-02-2005, 07:02 AM
She probably had to check your credit card balance.

I like that. Moelarrya sounds as bad as malaria.

Well, folks, if we can get the poll participation tripled, we should have enough to make some significant statistical guesses with enough accuracy to be meaningful and possibly useful.

astonwest
04-02-2005, 08:32 AM
The day I called to order my books...

Funny thing about that. No matter whether you've been banned or deleted, they'll still be more than happy to take your money. Proof positive.

Renee
04-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Funny thing about that. No matter whether you've been banned or deleted, they'll still be more than happy to take your money. Proof positive.

That's right! PublishAmerica seems only concerned about the money. Funny thing is I've always despised that kind of logic. Money doesn't mean shi* to me - and it damn sure isn't more valuable than treating people right. Nothing is more important than that to me. Then again, PA shows they have absolutely no morals or conscience (not sure I spelled it right but I know I have one - a BIG one..lol..), whatsoever. That's what bothers me most about PA they only want their AUTHORS money. Any other way an author can find to sell their book - there is already an unsurpassible road-block to make sure that bookstores are unable to carry the books. So in the end - most authors work their arses off for nothing, and I mean nothing. Well except that all important lesson that most of us learn after the PA debacle- don't trust them. And that lesson is priceless, but alot of us would have rather learned it a better way -- not by being screwed and manipulated by PimpAmerica. They'd pimp out their friggin' granny if they thought it'd make 'em a shiny new penny. YUP! Yup!

***On a side note to the three stooges over at PA*
Stooges(Moe-randa and the pack), if your watchin' and I know you are - see this? It's my middle finger. Yeah I know you've seen mine before, more than once, but oneday you'll have to pay for all the damage you've done under the "disguise" of helping to make people's dreams come true. No one dreams of being screwed over by your petty printing company. That was not what we writers had in mind when we signed with you. Gone are the naive trusting new authors who you scammed. Expect to go to hell for all of your lies and manipulation. I know I won't be seeing ya there! But if you see a finger off in the distance (or a whole bunch of 'em) just know it's some the authors who you promised to "treat the old-fashioned way." You know you've set up a dead end for your authors and that success is impossible while published through PA. Read my lips there is NO BOOKSTORE PLACEMENT! So yeah you pay your authors pennies compared to what you make off of us. You don't know what old-fashioned is: the people I know with those kind of standards would never set up a failed plan and call it giving authors a chance.

And that's why PA has to find brand new authors every month, all the authors that they can. They have already screwed over the authors signed with them. They need some fresh meat/authors just to turn their easy money in to profit!

astonwest
04-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Wow, Renee...want to tell us how you really feel?

:Hug2:for you

AnnaWhite
06-20-2005, 02:27 PM
I purchased 100 books, at the 50% discount.

Details are:
Publisher: PublishBritannica
Cost of books: $1,099.50
ShippingCost: $102.00

They were delivered within a week from ordering, directly by Lightning Press, a POD printer that normally prints books for Vanity Publishers in the UK.

Lucia

Glenda
05-15-2006, 06:58 AM
I bought absolutely none. I was too embarassed to have anybody buying my book at that price. A large, thin paperback book with mistakes in it.

icerose
05-15-2006, 08:22 AM
I bought two books that were already paid for by the people who wanted them, they just didn't want to take the time to find them and purchase them, so I did it for them. 14 books were purchased by other people. Two of them strangers. And at least 20 orders between the two books were cancelled. Guess too many were coming through bookstores, as PA was quick to tell me to direct those sales directly through them to prevent any ordering problems.

janetbellinger
05-16-2006, 12:08 AM
I purchased a total of 70 books, all within a three month time period.

icerose
05-16-2006, 01:18 AM
To answer your other question, I ordered them through B&N. And an oops to amend mine. I bought one. I tried to buy two but it would only order one since Ingrams only had one in stock, and this was after PA said Ingrams would not be stocking any more books so limited numbers would no longer be a problem, blah blah blah, the story goes on.

midlander
05-16-2006, 02:57 PM
The poll said I already voted...though I have NOT!

So here are my self-purchase stats:

Book One: bought 50 when first released then bought 110 when they had a special in December 2004....none purchased since then. Thankfully all have been sold.

Yes, I made the mistake of submitting a second book during the honeymoon period...grrrr

Book Two: bought ZERO. Was released from this contract after first royalty period showed only 22 sold through PA or other sources.

Peace,
Larry~

General Joy
05-23-2006, 10:18 PM
I bought 100 (50 books 2x), at the 50% discount both times. It was kind of a good thing, though, because PA did not come through with the order for the bookstore when I had my signing, so I had to use my own copies. Only have 8 books left now...

RoccoMom
05-23-2006, 10:26 PM
I ordered about 10 copies of A Spy in the Hand, but none from PA - I ordered from Barnes and Noble.
I ordered 6 copies of the second, Murder is RElative - once again, form Barnes and noble.

I stopped advertising my books - Since January there have been no orders that I know of for SPY, and Murder is limited, too.

I expect to get my rights back for non-sales soon, and then I'll rename, retool, and resubmit elsewhere.