PDA

View Full Version : Handholding for Mid-Screenplay Freakout, Beta Reader or Advisor for WIP

debergerac
12-27-2007, 11:40 AM
I've got 57 pages of what is probably my best work to date. I've been writing at a good clip since Friday night, certainty oozing from my pores. And now, I can feel myself teetering into the 'oh my god I'm a hack' abyss, and am in desperate need of some, generous, reasonably stable, good Samaritan to drag me back. I know if I can stave off the crazies for a few more days I can get through the first and start carving the second. But I need some shoring up.

The screenplay is a family drama, about a wunderkind academic's stay at her family home by the sea. I've pretty much taken care of most grammar and spelling issues.

So....SOS!

dpaterso
12-27-2007, 12:03 PM
The Act II Blues. When the story falters and self-doubt sets in. You're not alone. Right now, this very moment as you read this sentence, a million* other aspiring screenwriters have exactly the same problem.

* conservative estimate.

Alas I've learned the hard way not to commit to reading a first pass unfinished screenplay. I'm happy to look at the first 20 pages if you want to send 'em over, but that's all. If they pull me in I'll ask for the rest. It's up to you. dpaterson57@googlemail.com

Or, if you don't already know, we have a Screenwriting sub-forum in Share Your Work (see sigline below) where you can post up to 10 pages at a time.

I've pretty much taken care of most grammar and spelling issues.
I should hope so too! That's your job!

-Derek

debergerac
12-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Ahh Derek:) you are an angel from heaven. Thank you. As for grammar and spelling, I just wanted the reader to know, that though it's a WIP, it shouldn't be an outrageously irritating read, at least not because of typos.

mommyjo2
12-31-2007, 02:01 AM
I'd be happy to look at the first 10 or 20 as well.

Just keep going. It's easier to rewrite than to polish half a screenplay within an inch of its life and then try to hack out a rough draft ending.

debergerac
01-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks Mommyjo:) I'll send it to you.

LIVIN
01-01-2008, 02:59 PM
There's also this place:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60

debergerac
01-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks Livin, It's really sooo not ready for the SYW board. But hopefully, soon. This is a mental health exercise. I'm having the writerly equivalent of a fit of vapors, I'll be going to bed any minute now with a 'sick headache'.