I think Santa got me a dog for xmas

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So this dog shows up in my urban neighborhood. No collar, trying to go in everyone's house, overly friendly. So then I had to decide if I should take responsibility for her. Lets see, I have a bag of unopened large breed dog food (twas free), and a dog proof fence (until she learns to dig out at least; aka the empty horse pasture). The dog in question is a large breed dog (anatolian shepard). And what kind of dog had I been wanting? Yep, livestock guard dog. In my defense it took me 30 minutes to break down and take her in. (The freezing rain in the forcast didn't help!)

So today is the first day the found ad got put in the paper due to the holiday and all. I'm hoping the poor thing has been dumped as she's grown on me and all signs point to her having been dumped rather than roaming.

She knows sit, come, and prolly a few others she's not letting onto. Smart little girl, and is starting to respond to 'Dog' (very creative I know, but no name until she's officially unclaimed)

But here's the kicker. Last week there were no found ads in the paper and two lost ads- one for a dog and the other for a man's ring. This week there are the same lost ads and 4 dogs and 2 cats 'found.' What the frick? Tis the season to dump your animal?
Has anyone noticed an increased dump rate around xmas? Bah.

If Dog does end up having loving owners it will be a relief (dog=responsibility) but I'll be crushed to see her go. I'm already trying to figure out when she'll be officially mine. The ad runs till next wednesday so I might have to wait til then to be safe!

Cheers,
Christina

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
But here's the kicker. Last week there were no found ads in the paper and two lost ads- one for a dog and the other for a man's ring. This week there are the same lost ads and 4 dogs and 2 cats 'found.' What the frick? Tis the season to dump your animal?
Has anyone noticed an increased dump rate around xmas? Bah.

I think there is an increase in pets dumped around the holidays. Some people get pets as gifts when they aren't responsible enough to care for them. They end up abandoned or returned to shelters. Other pets are neglected as the busy holiday season kicks in.

Over the weekend, I saw a dog wandering around our house. I didn't recognize the dog and thought it might be lost or abandoned. I found out later that one of my neighbors had their son visiting and they brought the dog along. The dog was just exploring the neighborhood. Hopefully, 'Dog' is lost (not abandoned) and the owners will find him.

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
Have you called the local animal shelters/animal control to see if anyone has reported the dog lost? Have you taken it to a vet or a shelter to see if it has a microchip? Have you posted signs? Not everyone reads the paper these days. Yeah, you might hope they would if they'd lost their dog, but I wouldn't count on it - but surely they'd call the shelter to see if it got picked up.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
That's so great! An Anatolian and Akbash are both from Turkey. The Anatolian is a tall thin with thin heads where as the Akbash are more muscular bodied and broader heads. An Anatolian breeder close to Dallas apparently just handed her dogs to anyone and my mom has rescued a couple from death by humane society after they were picked up as homeless.

And if you remember my thread about rescuing Maggie (Akbash), she's just blossomed and I can put a leash on her and take her for walks now instead of her cowering and not budging from the spot on the floor.

They are such loves and have a whole lot of love for the person who takes them in. Hope to be hearing if she remains Dog or what her new name will be! God bless you for taking her in!!

Snowberry

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like she's a clever girl, and has just found herself a brilliant new home!

Hate to upset you, but Christmas and summer holiday time are favourite dog-dumping seasons - as soon as people find out what it costs to put the dog in kennels, they turn it loose, figuring they can get a new one when they get back :-(

You might want to check with your local animal control what the rules are about keeping a dog you've found - perhaps just ask them "theoretically" what a person would have to do to become the new legal owner.

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
People do dump dogs - but they do also sometimes lose them through no fault of their own, especially at a time of year when lots of visitors may be coming and going and leaving gates open, etc.

This thread's getting a little scary - if God forbid one of my dogs ever gets loose, I hope someone calls the shelter and asks if I am looking for her - not just 'theoretically' how not to get in trouble for keeping her!

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Orvis sells for $20, at their website, collars that have the dogs name and telephone number stitched on it...incase they get lost...or one of their friends wants to call them.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you called the local animal shelters/animal control to see if anyone has reported the dog lost?

I did. They said they wouldn't know if anyone called about their missing dog (???!) and that they didn't run a lost and found service. They told me to call the paper and put up an ad. So, if anyone calls about Dog, hopefully they will be told the same thing.

I haven't put up flyers but I live in a small neighborhood surrounded by farms. I asked the neighbors- everyone said she showed up on Friday and wanted to get into their house. I guess I could put up a flyer on the main road- it's not like my area has a lot of access...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And if you remember my thread about rescuing Maggie (Akbash), she's just blossomed and I can put a leash on her and take her for walks now instead of her cowering and not budging from the spot on the floor.

I didn't know Maggie was an Akbash- I totally missed that part! Glad she is doing well.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, I can't believe people just drop their animals in the country and expect them to find a home or go feral. There are better ways for them to handle the situation, but they go for the easy out.

Well, Dog is doing well. I took her to see the barrel racing yesterday. She was very tense at first but then enjoyed herself. She didn't have a clue what a horse was though. When my friend rode up she starting to growl and put herself between me and the 'big dog'. Very sweet.

Cheers,
Christina

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I did. They said they wouldn't know if anyone called about their missing dog (???!) and that they didn't run a lost and found service.

That is very, very depressing.

I often write about animal shelters and interview people who work for them. I always worry about the fact that the places I am in touch with, like the ASPCA, are not representative of what's available to everyone, everywhere. But this is worse than I thought.

I hope that if a lost dog were IN the shelter and someone called, they'd be able to tell them? No, never mind, I don't think I want to know.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wombat- I agree, depressing. But, I wasn't surprised (much) by their response b/c they are stretched thin, especially over the holidays.

They won't take an animal from outside city limits (my lab partner was very not amused with them and told me the whole story of her stray wild female cat in detail. In short she was annoyed with how they interacted with her, regardless of the rule) ...and yet they are swamped with pets.

My friends just adopted a dog from another shelter. She is sweet, well mannered, house trained, everything. No one could figure out how she ended up at the shelter and how no one came looking for her.

*shrugs*

Christina

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
Christina, What an incredible stroke of luck to end up with you. I'd love to see a photo of the lucky hound!

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
It's been my experience that the good ones always have owners.

:cry:

I once picked up a Siberian Husky that was roaming the streets in Las Vegas and brought him home. He was awesome, like some kind of wise, obedient guard-dog. Unfortunately someone placed an ad in the paper advertising him missing, and I answered it.

It was his dog. The dog, who had been stoic for the few days I had him, brightened up immediately when he saw his owner.

The man wanted to give me a reward, but I refused to take it. I've always felt it was my duty to help lost animals.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Well I got a response to my ad today but the man was looking for a yellow lab that had been missing for awhile. I felt bad cuz he sounded sad from the start- like he knew the answer but just wanted to check. :\

Dog is doing well except she hates being kept outside. She was someone's spoiled house dog.

I totally forgot about microchipping until today. I'm gonna take her in tomorrow to see (at least, if my vet is in I will), but I'm still convinced she was dumped.

Eldragon I'm glad you were able to runite the Husky with his owner. There are plenty of good ones out there that need homes though *hint, hint*

Cheers,
Christina

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Good luck with Dog. It sounds like if she was dumped, she found herself a home. My daughter was at the dentist months back and a starving, homeless puppy came up to her. The neighbors all said the dog was homeless and had been begging for food but nobody wanted him. A preacher helped her run the puppy down so she could take it home. The vet said the dog was in such bad shape he would have probably been dead within the week. I now have a grandson who will never be homeless again.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking to see if you have an update, Christine. Is Dog still with you? Any luck?

Yeah, there is a lot of seasonal dumping. There are a lot of bunnies dumped every summer. People get them for kids for Easter. I'm going to blog about the "Make Mine Chocolate" campaign soon.

Virtually all of my animals are rescues. The only two that aren't are registered purebreds that I bought for specific reasons. The rest are rescues--this includes cats, dogs, bunny, goats, and two of my horses. (oh, and the goldfish. He wasn't a rescue, but my son won him at a school carnival TWO YEARS ago. The thing is huge and healthy. Who knew goldfish could live this long?)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See the thread below for some updates. Ara is doing well but might get left outside tonight due to muddy paws and a tendency to wake me at 4am.

I have got to find a used kennel for her...