Students in Writing

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, my name is bwf, and I am a student. It has been a few days since I last typed.

A question for all those students out there: What is your #1 goal in writing? Have you accomplished it?

More importantly, have you found the time to accomplish it?

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
I actually set monthly goals that vary from month to month. They're as small as sending out one submission, up to writing five poems and ten pages in my novel or one short story. It really depends on the mood I'm in. In terms of time- what time? I have time? The commuter rail is my friend- that's where I find the time for most poetry writing. Other than that, weekends and days off, and late nights where I choose writing over sleep. My goal accomplishments vary.

In terms of my biggest goal- to improve my writing- I wasn't aware there was a time frame. I'm in writing for fun first, business second. Period.

-alanna

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
alanna said:
In terms of my biggest goal- to improve my writing- I wasn't aware there was a time frame. I'm in writing for fun first, business second. Period.
-alanna

A-men!

If you don't love what you write or write what you love, what's the point? And you're right...I doubt I'll ever stop learning and improving, and that's my biggest goal.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Last summer, I really found that I missed writing, and began again. That was in the midst of summer courses and an internship.

I graduate with 2 majors this May, and while I will have to find a job to support my household, I really wish I could just take some time out and write. It truly sucks to rediscover something that is so special to you, and be at a point in your life where you cannot pursue it to the fullest.

Until I make something happen with my writing, I will chug away at it, word by word, writing furiously when I can.

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
Last quarter, when I was in a short-story class, my goal was simple: cobble out a presentable, workshoppable story by the due date. I shot myself in the foot by procrastinating on the first two stories -- I wound up revising old ones instead of writing anything new. But on the third story I ran out of usable old work, and I had to write a new story. (I cranked it out in three hours the morning it was due, and it was damned good -- if I do say so myself.)

Now that I'm not in any fiction-writing class, I'm having to find my own motivation. It's hard. I'd much rather hang around on message boards, or curl up in bed with a bottle of NyQuil Cough and a good book (notwithstanding I'm not sick). :sleepy:

Anaparenna

Just Another Exquisite Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.conjurewords.com
I'm not a "student" anymore, but I imagine I'll always be a student of writing. My goals change with my accomplishments, as well as with every story I end up trunking. :) And I figure there's too much to learn about writing to ever stop being a learner.

My #1 goal right now is stronger, more complex sentence structure -- every word meaningful and with no gratuitous scaffolding -- and finding new ways to approach my genre (spec-fic). Along with that, continuing to enjoy what I do for my own sake.

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
One of the most horrible feelings is bottled up inspiration to type - and knowing that you have to put off typing because something *more important* needs to be done.
I am experiencing this right now.
Sigh....

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
black winged fighter said:
One of the most horrible feelings is bottled up inspiration to type - and knowing that you have to put off typing because something *more important* needs to be done.
I am experiencing this right now.
Sigh....

i sympathize.

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
BIC pays off! First draft of current WIP finished not five minutes ago!
Yay!
And now onto editing and revising. *slightly softer yay!*

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the WIP and...
Happy Birthday, BWF!

Last edited:

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a student, but not in school for writing (psychology, actually). I'm working on my thesis this semester, plus I have two classes which take up a lot of my time, so I'm not making enough time to write.

It's not that I don't have it, I just seem to waste it goofing off.

However, this past week I've been trying to commit more time to writing...and actually doing my schoolwork, too.

I'm such a freaking procrastinator. I was supposed to turn in a rewrite of my latest script to a manager/producer almost two months ago. I'm even a month and a half behind turning something in for my thesis.

And, my thesis is on procrastination, so the irony of that is not lost on me.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
You wouldn't know it (guessing by the amount of time I spend here), but I'm a student, too. I finished up my grad in July last year (in Information Technology), and am now wrapping up an A-level diploma (again, in Information Technology) after which I'm headed to graduate school in July this year. I'm always studying and you'd think I love collecting degrees or something.

Anyway, while I'm a non-fiction writer currently, my biggest goal is to get started in fiction. Someday, I hope to write a young adult novel.

Last edited:

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, LiamJackson....

On the subject of time: I have a full-time life as a student, but I seem to have acquired the art of making time -- or at least, living without enough sleep.

I used to be interested in nonfiction (especially concerning animals/all nature) but I found my true love in fiction. A real inspiration was Tamora Pierce's YA books, because they document her progress from first publication to present day. I've been reading them again in my (nonexistant) spare time, and I feel I'm learning.

(Optimus: I love the irony.)

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
black winged fighter said:
Thanks, LiamJackson....

On the subject of time: I have a full-time life as a student, but I seem to have acquired the art of making time -- or at least, living without enough sleep.

I used to be interested in nonfiction (especially concerning animals/all nature) but I found my true love in fiction. A real inspiration was Tamora Pierce's YA books, because they document her progress from first publication to present day. I've been reading them again in my (nonexistant) spare time, and I feel I'm learning.

(Optimus: I love the irony.)

I LOVE TAMORA PIERCE!!!!! :Clap: she's a big inspiration to me also. did you know that she published Alanna when she was twelve?

yes, i am a plethora of random knowledge.

and, by the way, happy belated b-day BWF! :partyguy: :Cake:

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, alanna.

Twelve? *whistles in appreciation* Looks like I've got to speed up!

I actually met her at a book signing; she freaked the entire audience (about 70 girls and two guys) by pretending to be a tired old lady, then shook her head and said, "Boy, I scared myself that time!"

One of the most instructive afternoons of my life.

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
i'm jealous! i have a copy of Wild Magic signed by her- purple ink, by the way- but i wasn't there to see the signing! tell me more about this encounter! by more i mean absolutely everything that happened. every...detail...please. :Hail: you are the grand-high-info-giver, and i expect my bowing (see previous) to be rewarded by as lengthy a dish as you (oh mighty One-Who-Saw-Tamora-Pierce) feel you can give.

i'm tired. all tact is gone. i shall sick circus monkeys on you if you do not tell!

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
*sighs* Unfortunately, I did not own any of her books when I met her, so I couldn't get anything signed. Oh, well.

Okay, the dish: she started writing because all the books out there about female characters were written by men. *cough cough* She wanted something a bit more realistic, with a more pragmatic heroine. (lesson one: write for yourself)

When she started to write, she found out that there was a niche (need for such a nice) for what she was writing. (lesson two: if you can find an empty spot in the market and fill it, hey presto!)

She then read us an exerpt from one of the Protector of the Small series. Then she answered some general questions - sorry, but I can't remember every detail; this happened years ago!

But those are the two most conscious bits of knowledge I took away from the reading. It was life-altering, because it made me re-think whether I wanted to be an author or not.

(Bet you can guess what I decided, right?)

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: thank you for sharing your moment of epiphany. i appreciate it much! i like the lessons...very insightful. and no- bwf, what in the world did you decide? lol, i honestly have no idea! :)

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
non-related school stuff? on average an hour a day. and on the train- i have a 45 min ride into school. also right before bed- at one o'clock in the morning.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya! I missed this thread the first time around....

Right now, I'm just taking one course by correspondence. But I'm getting ready to go back full time to finish my BS in Archaeological Sci and eventually my Masters in Linguistics. My schedule can't really be consider a "student" schedule since I work full time. I try to write from 6-7 in the morning everyday. I want to keep that up once I start school, but we'll see ;) I try to force myself to stay in the chair until I have something down, which means I stare at my computer from about 6-6:30, then start typing. :)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Black,

I just found this thread. It's my first year in college and I'm working through two majors plus writing.

I started my WIP last summer, scrapped it and started anew of winter break. I finished the first draft just last weekend. My future goals are to, hopefully, have this second draft done by the beginning of the summer (it's much easier to write on vaca, don't you think?) and hopefully be shopping it around by November or so of next year.

I've still got three years ahead of me after I get out of here in May, so that gives me a three years to be published. I'd like to have something out there before I graduate. I guess I'm well on my way....

To everyone who's posted in this thread, best of luck! It's tough, but we're going to pull through. :D

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Similar story here, I'm afraid; I am really hoping to have *something* out there before I graduate. I have two short stories in a minor collection, but that's not enough to make me happy...(although I was ecstatic, of course)
But, yes, vacation is my saviour! And it's coming up...