PDA

View Full Version : Students in Writing

black winged fighter
03-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Hello, my name is bwf, and I am a student. It has been a few days since I last typed.

A question for all those students out there: What is your #1 goal in writing? Have you accomplished it?

More importantly, have you found the time to accomplish it?

alanna
03-07-2005, 04:59 AM
I actually set monthly goals that vary from month to month. They're as small as sending out one submission, up to writing five poems and ten pages in my novel or one short story. It really depends on the mood I'm in. In terms of time- what time? I have time? The commuter rail is my friend- that's where I find the time for most poetry writing. Other than that, weekends and days off, and late nights where I choose writing over sleep. My goal accomplishments vary.

In terms of my biggest goal- to improve my writing- I wasn't aware there was a time frame. I'm in writing for fun first, business second. Period.

-alanna

black winged fighter
03-07-2005, 05:57 AM
In terms of my biggest goal- to improve my writing- I wasn't aware there was a time frame. I'm in writing for fun first, business second. Period.
-alanna

A-men!

If you don't love what you write or write what you love, what's the point? And you're right...I doubt I'll ever stop learning and improving, and that's my biggest goal.

alanna
03-07-2005, 06:02 AM
:)

tjwriter
03-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Last summer, I really found that I missed writing, and began again. That was in the midst of summer courses and an internship.

I graduate with 2 majors this May, and while I will have to find a job to support my household, I really wish I could just take some time out and write. It truly sucks to rediscover something that is so special to you, and be at a point in your life where you cannot pursue it to the fullest.

Until I make something happen with my writing, I will chug away at it, word by word, writing furiously when I can.

Solatium
03-27-2005, 03:20 AM
Last quarter, when I was in a short-story class, my goal was simple: cobble out a presentable, workshoppable story by the due date. I shot myself in the foot by procrastinating on the first two stories -- I wound up revising old ones instead of writing anything new. But on the third story I ran out of usable old work, and I had to write a new story. (I cranked it out in three hours the morning it was due, and it was damned good -- if I do say so myself.)

Now that I'm not in any fiction-writing class, I'm having to find my own motivation. It's hard. I'd much rather hang around on message boards, or curl up in bed with a bottle of NyQuil Cough and a good book (notwithstanding I'm not sick). :sleepy:

Anaparenna
03-27-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm not a "student" anymore, but I imagine I'll always be a student of writing. My goals change with my accomplishments, as well as with every story I end up trunking. :) And I figure there's too much to learn about writing to ever stop being a learner.

My #1 goal right now is stronger, more complex sentence structure -- every word meaningful and with no gratuitous scaffolding -- and finding new ways to approach my genre (spec-fic). Along with that, continuing to enjoy what I do for my own sake.

black winged fighter
03-28-2005, 09:28 PM
One of the most horrible feelings is bottled up inspiration to type - and knowing that you have to put off typing because something *more important* needs to be done.
I am experiencing this right now.
Sigh....

alanna
03-29-2005, 07:17 AM
One of the most horrible feelings is bottled up inspiration to type - and knowing that you have to put off typing because something *more important* needs to be done.
I am experiencing this right now.
Sigh....

i sympathize.

black winged fighter
03-29-2005, 09:06 AM
*Grins* I did manage to get my UJ prescribed two hours of typing in. Woo-hoo!

black winged fighter
04-12-2005, 08:26 AM
BIC pays off! First draft of current WIP finished not five minutes ago!
Yay!
And now onto editing and revising. *slightly softer yay!*

Liam Jackson
04-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Congrats on the WIP and...
Happy Birthday, BWF!

Optimus
04-12-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm a student, but not in school for writing (psychology, actually). I'm working on my thesis this semester, plus I have two classes which take up a lot of my time, so I'm not making enough time to write.

It's not that I don't have it, I just seem to waste it goofing off.

However, this past week I've been trying to commit more time to writing...and actually doing my schoolwork, too.

I'm such a freaking procrastinator. I was supposed to turn in a rewrite of my latest script to a manager/producer almost two months ago. I'm even a month and a half behind turning something in for my thesis.

And, my thesis is on procrastination, so the irony of that is not lost on me.

Kudra
04-12-2005, 05:49 PM
You wouldn't know it (guessing by the amount of time I spend here), but I'm a student, too. I finished up my grad in July last year (in Information Technology), and am now wrapping up an A-level diploma (again, in Information Technology) after which I'm headed to graduate school in July this year. I'm always studying and you'd think I love collecting degrees or something.

Anyway, while I'm a non-fiction writer currently, my biggest goal is to get started in fiction. Someday, I hope to write a young adult novel.

black winged fighter
04-13-2005, 05:30 AM
Thanks, LiamJackson....

On the subject of time: I have a full-time life as a student, but I seem to have acquired the art of making time -- or at least, living without enough sleep.

I used to be interested in nonfiction (especially concerning animals/all nature) but I found my true love in fiction. A real inspiration was Tamora Pierce's YA books, because they document her progress from first publication to present day. I've been reading them again in my (nonexistant) spare time, and I feel I'm learning.

(Optimus: I love the irony.)

alanna
04-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks, LiamJackson....

On the subject of time: I have a full-time life as a student, but I seem to have acquired the art of making time -- or at least, living without enough sleep.

I used to be interested in nonfiction (especially concerning animals/all nature) but I found my true love in fiction. A real inspiration was Tamora Pierce's YA books, because they document her progress from first publication to present day. I've been reading them again in my (nonexistant) spare time, and I feel I'm learning.

(Optimus: I love the irony.)

I LOVE TAMORA PIERCE!!!!! :Clap: she's a big inspiration to me also. did you know that she published Alanna when she was twelve?

yes, i am a plethora of random knowledge.

and, by the way, happy belated b-day BWF! :partyguy: :Cake:

black winged fighter
04-14-2005, 05:28 AM
Thanks, alanna.

Twelve? *whistles in appreciation* Looks like I've got to speed up!

I actually met her at a book signing; she freaked the entire audience (about 70 girls and two guys) by pretending to be a tired old lady, then shook her head and said, "Boy, I scared myself that time!"

One of the most instructive afternoons of my life.

alanna
04-14-2005, 05:49 AM
i'm jealous! i have a copy of Wild Magic signed by her- purple ink, by the way- but i wasn't there to see the signing! tell me more about this encounter! by more i mean absolutely everything that happened. every...detail...please. :Hail: you are the grand-high-info-giver, and i expect my bowing (see previous) to be rewarded by as lengthy a dish as you (oh mighty One-Who-Saw-Tamora-Pierce) feel you can give.

i'm tired. all tact is gone. i shall sick circus monkeys on you if you do not tell!

black winged fighter
04-14-2005, 06:10 AM
*sighs* Unfortunately, I did not own any of her books when I met her, so I couldn't get anything signed. Oh, well.

Okay, the dish: she started writing because all the books out there about female characters were written by men. *cough cough* She wanted something a bit more realistic, with a more pragmatic heroine. (lesson one: write for yourself)

When she started to write, she found out that there was a niche (need for such a nice) for what she was writing. (lesson two: if you can find an empty spot in the market and fill it, hey presto!)

She then read us an exerpt from one of the Protector of the Small series. Then she answered some general questions - sorry, but I can't remember every detail; this happened years ago!

But those are the two most conscious bits of knowledge I took away from the reading. It was life-altering, because it made me re-think whether I wanted to be an author or not.

(Bet you can guess what I decided, right?)

alanna
04-14-2005, 06:15 AM
:Hug2: thank you for sharing your moment of epiphany. i appreciate it much! i like the lessons...very insightful. and no- bwf, what in the world did you decide? lol, i honestly have no idea! :)

black winged fighter
04-28-2005, 02:42 AM
A question -

How many hours do you write each day? Where do you fit it in?

alanna
04-28-2005, 07:17 PM
non-related school stuff? on average an hour a day. and on the train- i have a 45 min ride into school. also right before bed- at one o'clock in the morning.

Sarita
04-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Hiya! I missed this thread the first time around....

Right now, I'm just taking one course by correspondence. But I'm getting ready to go back full time to finish my BS in Archaeological Sci and eventually my Masters in Linguistics. My schedule can't really be consider a "student" schedule since I work full time. I try to write from 6-7 in the morning everyday. I want to keep that up once I start school, but we'll see ;) I try to force myself to stay in the chair until I have something down, which means I stare at my computer from about 6-6:30, then start typing. :)

katiemac
04-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Hey Black,

I just found this thread. It's my first year in college and I'm working through two majors plus writing.

I started my WIP last summer, scrapped it and started anew of winter break. I finished the first draft just last weekend. My future goals are to, hopefully, have this second draft done by the beginning of the summer (it's much easier to write on vaca, don't you think?) and hopefully be shopping it around by November or so of next year.

I've still got three years ahead of me after I get out of here in May, so that gives me a three years to be published. I'd like to have something out there before I graduate. I guess I'm well on my way....

To everyone who's posted in this thread, best of luck! It's tough, but we're going to pull through. :D

black winged fighter
04-29-2005, 02:28 AM
Similar story here, I'm afraid; I am really hoping to have *something* out there before I graduate. I have two short stories in a minor collection, but that's not enough to make me happy...(although I was ecstatic, of course)
But, yes, vacation is my saviour! And it's coming up...

alanna
05-03-2005, 04:07 AM
::cough::

umm...

vacation? is that a joke?

black winged fighter
05-03-2005, 04:41 AM
Well, technically it will be a working vacation, but three weeks of it will be spent traveling, and the rest is class-free, so I can BIC whenever I want.

alanna
05-03-2005, 06:12 AM
ah. see, vacation for me means finally getting enough sleep and swimming/doing outdoorsy stuff. and staying up until three to write without becoming sleep deprived as a result.

::sigh:: oh well, i can dream, can't i?

Wormo
05-03-2005, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=alanna]doing outdoorsy stuffQUOTE]

What is this place you call outdoorsy? and what are the graphics like

:( I wonder where I see myself in 10 years, oh well, you'll have to wait and see

alanna
05-04-2005, 03:03 AM
lol :)

black winged fighter
05-04-2005, 06:11 AM
I also like to visit the distant land of Outdoorsy. *grins*

But sleep? Ha! I laugh at rest - after all, I write at my best when fatigue has lowered my resistance to creativity. (I'm not sure why I have to be almost asleep to be able to type lucid scenes...)

But huge exam = tomorrow. Must go sleep. *sigh*

katiemac
05-04-2005, 04:38 PM
ah. see, vacation for me means finally getting enough sleep and swimming/doing outdoorsy stuff. and staying up until three to write without becoming sleep deprived as a result.

Don't worry, Alanna. My summers are so that I write until the three am, too. I just find that a much easier schedule than at school where, say, you up at three am seriously pisses off your roommate, and trying to work in afternoon has implications of interruptions by friends or people running and screaming down the hallways....

During the summer everyone else is definitely asleep. :D

black winged fighter
05-14-2005, 08:31 AM
A question has occurred to me -

Do any of you find that your experiences as students tend to influence your writing? I tend to give my MCs a 'quest for learning' spin, or have knowledge/training others play a large part.

Anyone else have similar quirks?

Solatium
05-23-2005, 12:48 PM
You got the good end of it, fighter. I've never been anything but a student, and it limits me severely: I get nervous writing anything that doesn't take place on a college campus, preferably right outside the dining hall.

alanna
05-24-2005, 06:27 AM
i write about learning, sure. but i tend to focus more on life experience credit than academic learning, lol.

katiemac
05-24-2005, 07:31 AM
Whoops, I sort of forgot this thread existed. (But finals week is over -- which means I can have a life again!)

I notice the information from my classes affecting how my story works. I can't say the themes weren't there before, but some of my classes -- sociology, anthropology -- allow me to understand these themes better than I did before, so they're coming through with more force and sense. Plus, just sitting in those classes takes my mind on a whirl and I've already come up with one or two story ideas based on lecture.

I also noticed I'm sort of curving my elective courses to match what my stories are about -- classes on religion, technology, person interaction, etc.

It's been an experience, to say the least.

black winged fighter
05-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Classes are finally over, and I just finished sending an email to possible beta readers. Life is good.
I'm also busy with a new project that is fun and different - quite a change from the one I've just written.
I told you my summer was my saviour....
And a short story collection with two of my own (one serving as the title piece!) Should be coming out soon....
Can life get better?

CaptMorgan
05-29-2005, 11:26 PM
I, too, like Tamora Pierce. Young Adult is definitely my favorite genre when I write.

I am a college student as well. I will be a junior and I just transferred to a new school in order to get an emphasis in Creative Writing. I'm thrilled!

black winged fighter
05-31-2005, 07:04 AM
Congrats on the transfer - my sister just went through that, and I hope you had an easier time of it than she did.
Concerning Tamora Pierce - has anyone else noted the new covers? It's crazy; when she started, they gave her a second-rate cover job...these days, the cover designs are professional, quality, realistic, proportionally accurate...It gives me hope.

Anaparenna
05-31-2005, 08:25 AM
Concerning Tamora Pierce - has anyone else noted the new covers? It's crazy; when she started, they gave her a second-rate cover job...these days, the cover designs are professional, quality, realistic, proportionally accurate...

I managed to procure a 3-book "collection" of them, hard-back. The covers are much better. I also like what they're doing with the newer releases of Tanith Lee's "Wolf Star" and "Unicorn" series. Lee's adult-oriented work influenced me much when I was younger -- who knew I'd revisit the charm of her YA work when I was an adult?

alanna
05-31-2005, 05:47 PM
i did notice the cover's- they're all pretty and stuff! :)

CaptMorgan
06-01-2005, 04:36 AM
Transfers are pretty sticky. I loved my first school, but I played volleyball during the summer with some girls from a different, bigger school and they suggested I transfer...and I did, because I wanted to play volleyball in a bigger division and was told the second school was a better place for writers. I really disliked the second school and made a visit to the third, which I loved. (This is my last switch, seriously.) It's going to be great--last year, I had to scrape to find any time between practicing for writing, and now it'll be required for classes. It's going to be great!

black winged fighter
06-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Fantastic. I find I'm happiest when work combines with play; a class that lets me put my writing skills to use is a good class.
(The sad thing about my sis' transfer was that they kept losing her credits or 'not seeing' them. How did they manage that? But it was okay, in the end. *sigh of exhausted relief*)

black winged fighter
06-05-2005, 06:08 AM
Leaving for New Orleans tomorrow; I feel at loose ends, because I won't be able to write for about a week.
Anyone else having trouble finding time despite 'vacation?'

alanna
06-06-2005, 02:24 AM
of course, "vacation" is one of the busiest times of the year,lol! but i'm actually doing pretty well on my writing goals, so I'm not complaining! of course, it helps that my only writing goal is to write 500 words a day, but still! :) what i'm psyched about is that I'm averaging about double that, so I wrote over ten pages in my novel last week- which I consider pretty great since I've been on a major writer's block lately. of course, i finally figured out what was wrong. my characters were participating in mutiny! they made me delete the last ten pages of the novel before they'd let me write more! bad characters! very bad! lol, it's okay though. i like the way things are turning out. and i'm rambling, so I'll stop praising myself now. ego-trip over! thanks for putting up with it! :)

-alanna

Chaos
06-08-2005, 03:39 AM
I dunno...I'm a little to young to even think about getting a book publsihed my parents say....so I just do random battles and make up random things to fill my imagination...My goal would be to publish a book for my grad. project...I have like 3 years to do it....

alanna
06-08-2005, 06:44 AM
go to it chaos! one of my fav. authors published her first book when she was twelve(see previous posts), what was the age of the kid who just wrote Eragon? etc. good luck getting your book published!

-alanna

Chaos
06-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Allright I will!!!

Kida Adelyne
06-09-2005, 04:55 AM
Concerning Tamora Pierce - has anyone else noted the new covers? It's crazy; when she started, they gave her a second-rate cover job...these days, the cover designs are professional, quality, realistic, proportionally accurate...It gives me hope.

I think it's because the covers for Trickster went down so well, so they decided to re-do all of them like that.

Concerning origional post-
What is your #1 goal in writing?
I love books that make me laugh and cry, and leave me feeling happy. I want to write a book like that. *shrug*

Have you accomplished it?
Don't know, really. I've writen stuff that made people laugh, and other stuff that made people really sad. Havn't managed both in the same book though.

Time? Can you order it onine? I generally make the time by ahh... ignoring some aspect of school (read as not doing all that much of my homework) This is also partially because I'm going to go for a bachlors in music, so I'm supposed to practice my cello for an hour, piano for half an hour, get to the end of grade two conservatory theory, and gain experience in teaching. Time is a mere illusion to me. I learned when I did Nanowrimo that you have to just sit down and write, or you'll never get it done.

alanna
06-09-2005, 06:25 AM
KIDA!!! :) :hooray: :Jump: :Clap: :partyguy: :snoopy: :Hug2: :TheWave: :PartySmil :Hug2:

::cough::

i like smileys. good to "see" you!

black winged fighter
06-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Greetings, Chaos, and good luck with your goals. It's never to early to start trying, and no one's too young to get published. No where on your query letter do you state your age....

Hey, Kida. Love the goals, and sympathize over lack of time. Just got back from vacation, so am behind on my schedule. (I went to New Orleans - plenty of writing material there...)

Aside from that? Got another beta reader's response back, so am going to start revamping what I sent out. Hooray for progress!

And thus, life goes on...

CaptMorgan
06-11-2005, 11:42 PM
I always have very little time to write. I'm a student, sure, and that takes up time, but I also play volleyball in college, and that takes up an enourmous amount. You have practices, games, weights, conditioning, stuff where you have to show up and smile, and fundraisers. And usually, that's year round. Try doing that and writing. I need to invest in a laptop or an alphasmart...anyone know anything about the latter? It'd be great for road trips.

It took me from September to May to finish a 60,000 word draft of my manuscript. I have since revised it twice, which is pretty good for me. The rest of my writing time has been eaten up by this site and Livejournal. Anyone else have livejournals? Mine is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/morgancapt and it's a favorite time waster of mine. This is also the longest I've faithfully kept a journal.

As for parents and writing...I think my parents are okay with me wanting to be a novelist, but, of course, I hear the words "real job" quite a bit. Today, after my fifth rejection, my dad looked at me like he didn't think I was going to make it after all and said something about a lack of contacts. Well, I'm not discouraged...even JKR was rejected a few times!

Bye,

Mandy

black winged fighter
06-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Didn't JKR start writing on paper napkins? And I bet the publishing house that rejected her is really kicking itself now...

black winged fighter
06-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Yay - have finished outlining a new WIP, and started it today...
Any other students making use of the 'emptiness' of summer? (I already know Alanna exceeded her word count the other day...)

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
06-22-2005, 07:54 AM
A question for all those students out there: What is your #1 goal in writing? Have you accomplished it?

no.1 goal - To, through my writing, be able to become more than one person, but part of a unique and never ending partnership with every single reader I have, who come to me with different questions and find different answers.

To be more than I can be on my own.

alanna
06-24-2005, 06:42 AM
I'm back! I've been away and now I'm back! I can type again! :snoopy:

katiemac
06-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Yay - have finished outlining a new WIP, and started it today...
Any other students making use of the 'emptiness' of summer?

Yes, and feeling quite good about it, too. Right now I'm marking around 1500 words a day -- much improved from my 'zero' from school days. :)

CaptMorgan
06-24-2005, 09:39 AM
I have tons of ideas for books, but I'm really trying to focus on getting just one published right now. I should start typing a new one, but I don't want to distract myself...maybe I'll just edit the current WIP again. I gave a copy of it to the person it is dedicated to last Thursday. I hope he enjoys it!

black winged fighter
06-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Good luck with the book, CaptMorgan! And why not outline some of those ideas? That way you can recapture the spark when you start writing them.

CaptMorgan
06-24-2005, 10:45 PM
I should really do that! Sometimes I like to see if they stick with me, just so I can be certain they are good enough--but I should outline and then return to them after a while to see if they are worth anything.

black winged fighter
07-04-2005, 12:51 AM
Argh! I was doing so well - 2000 words a day or more, some outlining, new ideas... And now friends have come to stay, and this weekend has been crazy...
I am so behind in my writing - and I can't get started now, because I'll be leaving soon to go watch Batman Begins. *grumbles* I hope it's worth it.

CaptMorgan
07-08-2005, 10:18 AM
I love having friends come to stay, but I agree--I never get anything done when they're around! I'm trying to revise for like the eighth time before I give it to someone who might actually be able to help me out. If not, I don't care--I just hope he enjoys the story!

black winged fighter
07-08-2005, 11:35 PM
*sigh* And thus my plans of 2000 a day withered and died - friends, summer work...At least Batman Begins was a decent show.
And I have a new story idea floating around somewhere...Anyone ever read Terry Pratchett? My new idea might fall into his style, and that would please me so much...
Good luck with your piece, Capt. M.! Hope your friend likes it!

CaptMorgan
07-11-2005, 03:16 AM
Wow, record breaker--I just edited all 64,127 words in two days. It's so much easier to be able to sit down and do it almost all at once--everything flows, and it's a lot more enjoyable. That's an accomplishment, right? :)

alanna
07-11-2005, 05:02 AM
ABSOLUTELY! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :):):):):Clap: :banana: :PartySmil

black winged fighter
07-13-2005, 11:34 PM
That's an accomplishment, right? :)

Definitely - congratulations!

black winged fighter
07-27-2005, 06:18 AM
Yeah - back on target and on schedule!

CaptMorgan
07-31-2005, 11:58 PM
Glad to hear you're back on schedule!

I sent out twelve new e-queries this weekend. They're far edgier than the ones I sent out previously, so I'm hoping they garner some serious attention from agents.Question: As students, do any of you include age in your query letters? I once read an interview with a pretty big agent (maybe Donald Maass--but I could be wrong) that suggested younger authors include their age because it might be a selling point.

Solatium
08-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Question: As students, do any of you include age in your query letters? I once read an interview with a pretty big agent (maybe Donald Maass--but I could be wrong) that suggested younger authors include their age because it might be a selling point.
I know absolutely nothing, but I'm guessing that it could only be a selling point if the author's under twenty -- maybe under eighteen. Past that age, a lot of people don't distinguish.

I repeat: I know absolutely nothing.

GonnaBeFamous
08-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Right now I'm a college grad unemployed. In a few months I'll have my 3 scripts perfectly polished to myliking and will start contacting agents maybe start writing my 4th script which I feel will be a masterpiece. I know I have the capabilities to hit it big or at least get noticed, I just need the right person to see my damn scripts. :)

black winged fighter
08-02-2005, 12:33 AM
Congrats and good luck. I'm far from the polished state, but I am busy working on finishing my second MS that might one day see print. Hopefully my second MS will be done before summer is gone...

CaptMorgan
08-02-2005, 02:51 AM
Okay, today is the best day EVER! (or at least it feels like it.) I got one request for a full and one request for a partial in ONE DAY! This ROCKS!

black winged fighter
08-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Woohoo! That's fantastic - I'm so happy for you, despite being green with envy...

CaptMorgan
08-04-2005, 04:09 AM
Thanks! I got another request yesterday...thankfully, the last agent requested I send a few chapters to him over email. Whew! It's hard to find a place in a small town that does copies. I'm going to send my book/chapters to all the agents tomorrow...but right now, I need to write an author bio and a synopsis so I'd better figure out how to write them and write them well before tomorrow!

Hope everything is going well for everyone here. :)

black winged fighter
08-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Eeek! Less than a week before school starts - and I have so much to do!
The crunch is on....

black winged fighter
08-13-2005, 08:42 PM
I reached 50,000 words today! Woohoo!

Three days before classes resume...

CaptMorgan
08-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Congrats! Do you know how far you have to go?

black winged fighter
08-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Ummm...It's a YA novel, most likely, so technically I should fit everything into the next 10, 000 words, but I'll probably go over. Then editing will take care of any surplus.
*wipes brow* Back to work...

CaptMorgan
08-14-2005, 06:52 AM
That's awesome! You'll be finished soon. :-) It's hard to fit writing in with classes and practices though, once school starts...might as well take advantage of whatever summer we have!
Right now, I'm eagerly awaiting some responses from agents. Last week, I got eight requests (exceeded my expectations by quite a lot) so now I've been reduced to an inbox obsessed lunatic. Oh well--I was warned.

black winged fighter
08-14-2005, 07:10 PM
I know, but not soon enough - I have two days left! *gulps*

But eight requests? That's fantastic - and what's wrong with obsessing over an inbox, anyway? *grins*

CaptMorgan
08-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Better spend them all writing, then! It's much more fun than writing cover letters and waiting in agony, LOL. I start practices at the end of this week and they'll be too many hours in the day where I'm away from my email, and so I will no longer be able to check it constantly.
What is your book about? Is it like YA fantasy or more...mainsteam? I don't know what to call it, LOL.

black winged fighter
08-17-2005, 02:56 AM
YA fantasy describes it well enough - and no, I did not finish, and today was the first day of classes. Loads of work already.
But I'll get there...

CaptMorgan
08-17-2005, 04:20 AM
That's awesome. I love talking to other young writers...people who are balancing classes and writing of that sort with...well, real writing. Or what I consider to be real writing.

I'm glad I have these writing places to distract me from my empty inbox. Well, not empty, but empty of the responses I want.

black winged fighter
08-18-2005, 03:44 AM
*Laughs a little* Heard something funny in a class (Enlish Lit. + Comp.) It seems creative writing helps develop the writer's voice. It seems it helps the writer's style.
Gee, gosh, ye think?
And I was probably the only one who was excited when 'creative writing opportunities' were mentioned.
Oh well.
May your inbox runneth over with a flood of responses (the kind you want, I might add!)

CaptMorgan
08-18-2005, 04:04 AM
LOL on the first part--no joke! Although the class I took last year was ALL poetry. Don't get me wrong, I like poetry and everything, but I'm more of a prose person.

I really loved the may your inbox runneth over thing. That should be my new motto, LOL. Waiting is so hard! I want to start something new in my waiting time but then I feel like I should be editing (again). And I also want to wait for my ideas to develop completely....

Good news: I get to see one of the people that inspired my novel on Friday. :)

black winged fighter
08-20-2005, 07:36 PM
This class of mine will concern dark literature - mostly British, I hear, and probably a fair share of poetry. *shrugs* I'll take what I can get, but I am disappointed that we will not be studying Beowulf in depth. *sigh* Time to donate my scant free time to finding a copy and going through it solo...

***Good news: I get to see one of the people that inspired my novel on Friday. :)***

Excellent! Does this person know their inspirational powers?

CaptMorgan
08-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Have fun with that course, even if it's not all you want...maybe next semester. :)

As for that person, he very much knows his inspirational powers! It was a big favor for him to give me an interview--he does about a gazillion per day. He's a relatively famous musician so I am MORE than thankful. :) I mean, how many people in his position would care about a 20-year-old writer? I mean, how many people believe that a 20-year-old can write a novel?

black winged fighter
08-22-2005, 07:33 AM
That's fantastic - it must be really gratifying to have someone respect what you're doing - not that it deserves anything less!

CaptMorgan
08-23-2005, 06:39 PM
:) It's nice. I can't say how much I appreciated it.

Guess what? Stuff finally started for me too...I have three volleyball practices per day until school starts so I'm spending almost all my spare time sleeping...not writing! I still need to send two manuscripts off though...I need time....

Hope classes are going well for you!

black winged fighter
08-24-2005, 02:13 AM
Classes are going well - but I haven't written since they started, except for poetry in the 'Poetry Game, Anyone?' Thread.
Alas!
(Volleyball = awesome, by the by)

CaptMorgan
08-24-2005, 06:10 AM
So, I got my first personalized rejection note for a partial today. It wasn't wonderful to receive, but at least she said it showed a high level of competency...but not polished enough or strong enough to hook an editor's attention. She said it's not 'quite ready' for prime time. Well, back to editing, then! At least she took the time to type something out and not copy and paste a dreaded 'dear author' note.

black winged fighter
08-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Congrats (in a sympathetic sort of way.)
Time to send it out again, I suppose? Good luck!

CaptMorgan
08-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Yep! I've got to keep on sending out! I have two manuscripts to get in the mail, but, as of right now, no where to print them.

I feel like the personalized rejection note is sort of a rite of passage or something, so I'm not too upset about it. I'm just glad it's not a dear author letter. Those suck.

black winged fighter
09-10-2005, 03:08 AM
Any luck, yet?
I haven't written since classes started, and feel horrible, but when am I to do it when all these projects are cluttering my life? Maybe this weeked...*she thinks for the hundredth time*

CaptMorgan
09-10-2005, 08:42 PM
No luck, but I had a very near miss (or so it sounded) that put me in a wonderful mood. It just made me feel so close! My friends couldn't understand why I was so excited over a rejection letter.

black winged fighter
09-12-2005, 06:20 AM
Let 'em be confused - congrats on the near miss! (How odd that sounds...) Still, you're ahead of me in the game...But I'll get there and start collecting my own rejections soon enough.
*grins*
What a twisted sense of fun/accomplishment, eh?

CaptMorgan
09-12-2005, 05:54 PM
You're right--it's quite strange to feel so good about a rejection letter! Only writers understand....

Hope you're able to find some writing time soon!

black winged fighter
09-17-2005, 12:15 AM
I spent a large chunk of time reacquainting myself with my work, so now ideas are flowing again...Now if only I could find the time for a good, long session of typing...

CaptMorgan
09-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I've just been doing bits and pieces...I've got a lovely idea for my next main character and I think I've written an appealing first few pages. I just need to fully develop the plot.

black winged fighter
10-19-2005, 03:22 AM
I have gotten sick enough and tired enough of not writing to finally do something about it: I've started a livejournal account for my stories and poems, to force me to type (since others will be expecting updates...)
I've already started, and it feels so much better....