tracking/tracing cell phone calls? Throw away phones?

robertpri007

Registered
Reaction score
My only knowledge is old CSI/L&O reruns, which are highly suspect. I have read that the instant you turn on a cell phone, that it can be "located" with sophisticated police\FBI software. However, that is ONLY if they have the number.

1: So, bad guy calls the victim and then the police have his number. After that, he can be located merely by turning on his phone. True? False?

2: Buying a stack of "go-phones" with prepaid minutes would eliminate this tracking because bad guy uses a new phone for each call. True/false? [of course, he only stays on the line for a minute each time]

3: I have also read that every cell phone made today has a GPS tracking device inside the phone, but it's off when the phone is off. However, there are movements to get this device wired to a separate hidden battery so the phone can be tracked anytime, on or off. Or is this fantasy? I have heard that some parental movements are trying to get this info affect. True?

Many thanks!

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
On a cell phone with a regular plan, it can be traced using which tower the signal bounced off of. It' can't narrow it down to which square you're standing on on the sidewalk but it can narrow it down to a general area.

For phones with GPS, from what I understand it's not an instant connection but, like tracing a landline call, takes a few seconds because the satelites can't work that fast/the signals don't move that quickly so even with a GPS it'll take a few seconds (I believe upwards of 30) to track it.

For a pay as you go, they're not impossible to track but, more often than not, not worth the trouble to track. It would work the same way as tracking a standard cellphone but you would have to know the area the person called from, what time and so on and so forth to determine which signal bounced off what tower belonged to that phone.

For pay as you go with GPS, well, technically, my Blackberry has a built-in GPS/GSM but considering I use it as a pay as you go, it's not on, therefore I can't be tracked unless, like I said above, a person knew where I was and the last phonecall I made to determine which tower it bounced off of and the vicinity I might be in.

From my understanding, of course.

robertpri007

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that helps. If Joe calls Bill from a new phone, then Bill [and the police] now have Joe's number. From that point on, with the police having the number, if Joe calls anyone, he can be tracked to an 'area'. So, Joe uses a new throw away phone for every call. Make sense?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Tracing cells for local authorities is an unexact science and for the most part, can't really be done except down to the tower. Which in my area (very rural) might narrow it down to a 10 mile circle...not very useful in most cases.

As a 911 center, we're supposed to be able to narrow it down to within 50 feet, if the person dials 911 and stays on the line. At least in theory we're supposed to...it very seldom works even though the government has mandated the cell companies make it happen. Yeah, right.

I'm sure the FBI has much better tracking systems but seriously, anyone below the FBI doesn't have that capability.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
If the tel is new and has gps, then it can be triangulated and located--if it's on/has a live battery.

Easier to use a lock and latch device that 'reads' cell tel numbers that are then cloned and sold. The original owner then gets billed for calls to Timbuctu. :}

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that helps. If Joe calls Bill from a new phone, then Bill [and the police] now have Joe's number. From that point on, with the police having the number, if Joe calls anyone, he can be tracked to an 'area'. So, Joe uses a new throw away phone for every call. Make sense?

One argument against the "disposable" phones sold for cash is that bad guys will use them for nefarious purposes.

If Joe really wants to drive the cops nuts, he'll give the phone away at the bus station, a truck stop, or leave it unattended in a public place after each use ... let them go nuts tracing the phones to assorted people.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's the same in the US, but in Australia if you buy a phone, even a prepaid, you have to give name and address details. I think this was brought in after the Bali bombings where the perp set the bomb off using a converted mobile phone. I'm not sure if this information will help or hinder your research, or, indeed, be of any use at all!!! :)

Shades of Humanity

Registered
Reaction score
If Joe really wants to drive the cops nuts, he'll give the phone away at the bus station, a truck stop, or leave it unattended in a public place after each use ... let them go nuts tracing the phones to assorted people.

The criminal side of me would rather not leave any clues. Once they do find that phone, they'll be able to track down where it was purchased from. From there, even if bought with cash, they might be able to check surveillance cameras at the time of purchase. Now they have a picture of you.

DNA can be swabbed from the ear/mouth pieces too.

So... commit the crime, get rid of the phone :)

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
The Feds have equipment that can track your phone even if it's off.

Do yourself a favor and throw it under somebody's seat at a truck stop. ;)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found this info so useful I copied it when it appeared at another writing site. It's long and I haven't edited it to address only your specific questions. The author, much praised, said we could share it as needed.
How do the cops trace a payphone call? (nm)

Coming from Technical Support with one of the top 3 wireless carriers, I can tell you this :
Depending on which way the call trace is being done, it usually takes all of 2 to 5 seconds to get the information. You also need to know which way the trace is being done, incoming or outgoing. It's a little more detailed below. I hope this helps. my email is listed on my imdbpro.com profile. Send me an email if you want.

*** FYI : Most wireless and landline carriers use the term CTRAI or CT when referring to a call trace. It's best to keep this out because only network engineers would be familiar with this term. ***

(1) What is call trace ? Allows a carrier to determine the origin and/or destination of a call. To track the progress of call over multiple platforms. To perform maintenance on the network.

Movie Hype about Call traces.
(1) Any movie stating it takes 15 to 60 seconds for a call trace is merely for dramatic purposes.
(2) Any movie stating all you need is the phone # to run a Call Trace is true for landline phone numbers, but not always true for wireless.
(3) What's needed for a call trace is as follows :
<a> Mobile directory number (MDN)
<b> Mobile subscriber identification number (MSID/MIN)
<c> International mobile subscriber identity (IMSI) if it's a GSM system
<d> The service switch (MSC)
<e> The home switch (MSC).
See [*note] for explanation.

(4) Any movie that states the wireless phones needs to be on in order to do a call trace is correct. However keep in mind that most, if not all, wireless carriers keep a call log of calls made to and from wireless number. All that needs to be done is the police would need a subpoena to see the call history. This information is usually stored for up to 1 - 3 months. Either way, it would give a general location for wireless calls and exact location for landline calls. Wireless locations are usually within 1 to 5 miles max. If more is needed than one would need at least 3 calls to triangulate the area.

(5) Any movie that states the call has to be answered to start a call trace is merely for dramatic need. When running a call trace for a call placed from a known number, the call trace can start as soon as the subscriber presses the Send, Talk, or whatever key is on the wireless phone. So, lets say you have a cop or whoever that wants to find out where a person is and knows the person phone number, as soon as the cop places the call the trace starts and would show a general area for wireless and an exact location for landline. It would not matter if that person answered the phone or not. Now, lets say your cop or whoever wants to trace an incoming call, than a reverse call trace starts as soon as tge cop or whoever answers the phone. Again, the call trace would give a general location for a wireless phone, because it's mobile, and an exact location for a landline phone.

[*note: The reason being , lets say in your movie the police want to trace a call to or from a wireless number. They would first need to know what carrier it belongs to. This is done by looking up the first 6 digits of any phone number, sometimes it may take the full number (see *note). The first 3 are commonly known as the area code or NPA, which gives the state. The second 3 are commonly known as the exchange or NXX, which gives the city.
If a carrier still has not been determine than last 4 digits are needed. Due to Line number portability (LNP), customers can take their number anywhere; landline or wireless. The means, the carrier does not own the full block, used to describe 10 to 1000 numbers (ex: block of 10 numbers would be NPA-NXX-0000 to NPA-NXX-0009, block of 1000 would be NPA-NXX-0000 to NPA-NXX-0999), or range, used to describe 10,000 numbers (ex: range would be NPA-NXX-0000 to NPA-NXX-9999). The last 4 digits are referred to as the destination, XXXX, range or block; however this is not common knowledge to the public. ]

One more thing to add :

calls to 911 are traced the same way. The information transmitted on any call trace, landline or wireless is

(1) For wireless -
- esn ( Electronic Serial Number)
- IMSI ( see above)
- MDN ( The phone number)
- MIN/MSID ( see above)
- Location ( General anyway as long as the call remains active )

(2)
- MDN ( The phone number)
- Location ( As long as the call remains active )

Things to keep in mind
- For wireless call traces the call has to be active, not necessarily answered.
- All cell phones have what is called a transceiver ( Transmitter/receiver)that sends and receives signals to the network. So in actuality the cell phone just needs to be on and the last known location, more commonly known as the last registration can be found all the down to the cell site and sector.
- All cell phones do what is called autonomous registration. This means the cell phone sends request to the network to update it's location. The purpose is to ensure proper call routing and feature updates ( like voicemail indicator, text messages, picture mail, etc. )

Question:
With cells, generally how big an area can the call the traced to? If the call comes from a city, that could include a lot of people. The country, a lot of area. Right? Wrong?

Answer:
I'll try not to get too technical like I did before. To answer your question :
With cells, generally how big an area can the call the traced to?
A couple things I would suggest figuring out:
(1) Is the person standing in one location ?
If they are standing in one location, the call trace would only show the serving msc ( which can cover over 100 miles), the cell site being used ( which depends on where the person is :
City - A cell site generally covers one to two city blocks. The reason too many obstacles ( tall buildings, etc.) that block the signals.
Suburbs - A cell site generally covers one to five miles. The reason less obstacles.
Rural - About five to ten miles. The reason even less obstacles.
Boondocks ( ex: middle of Nebraska) about fifteen to twentyfive miles. The reason there is absolutely nothing there to block the signal from the cell site.), the voice channel being used.
Ex:
Let's say your character is in the city and a call trace is done. The trace would give on average a one to two city block radius of where the person is. The cool thing that most people don't know, any major building such local or state government, major corporations, or shopping malls, would have a cell site in that building. So if your character is in the Empire State building the call trace would suggest that.
Ex #2:
Let's say your character is in the mountains. This is harder because no wireless carrier puts cell sites in a mountainous region because of the terrain. So if your character is located in the Rockies, it's not going to be believable. The character would have to travel down the mountain in order to get a signal.
Think of it like this, the great the population the great number of cell sites and vice-versa, smaller population the smaller number of cell sites. It costs a few million dollars for a cellular carrier to put up a cell site. It's not going to benefit the carrier to put up a cell site if they can't get it or if it's going to be in an area that is not going to generate revenue equal to or more than the cost of building it.
(2) Is the person on the move ?
If the character is on the move than the call would be handed off from cell site to cell site. The direction and route would easily be seen regardless of the characters location, well minus the character being in the mountains.
Ex #1:
Let's say your character is traveling on a major highway. The trace would then show the direction the character is traveling and would possibly the mile marker they are at. On major US highways, due to 911 regulations, most cell site are associated with a mile marker to ensure a faster response if it is a 911 call.
Ex #2:
Same would be true if your character is in a city. The trace would show the direction and street the character is on within one to two blocks.
The best way to get an idea of what I'm talking about is to go to www.cellreception.com. It should give you an idea of the radius I'm talking about. If you feel comfortable enough, give me an email address where I can send more detailed pictures so you can get a better idea.

Maryn, who hopes that somewhere in there is all the info you need