A phone call at midnight

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter's 5th grade classmate called our house at midnight. I can't go back to sleep.

WTH is wrong with people? What kind of farking idiot loser parents let their kids make phone calls in the middle of the night?

I'm calling their house at 6:00 AM dammit, and having a talk with the little twit's mother.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still abide by the "no phone calls after 9:00" rule set forth when I was about 13 or 14. Hell, I'm even a little uncomfortable calling somebody around 8:30. THANKS, MOM! LOVE YA!

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Same here, Ben. The kid is actually lucky she woke me up because I was too sleepy to give her the earful she so richly deserved.

I did tell her she is NEVER to call our home after 8:00 PM.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
I agree 100% with what you told her, but don't be surprised if her mother doesn't! Many parents have an annoying tendency these days to take offense when you correct their little angels' stupid behavior. She might explode in your face, telling you "How dare you tell MY child what to do or not do? Don't EVER set rules for MY child!" or something like that. It's ridiculous, but it could happen, especially if the parents are lax enough to allow midnight phone calls in the first place!

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
My parents were horrific, but--BUT--a few of their rules are ingrained into me. I'm right there with you, Pooter--thanks a lot, mom!

Phone number wasn't to be handed out unless I had my mother's permission. It was their phone, they paid the bill, when I was willing to pay the bill, then I could hand it out willie-nillie.

No phone calls after 5pm. After five was the dinner hour, and dad's home from work & doesn't need to hear the phone ringing. Plus she felt there was nothing that couldn't wait until the following day at school. Teenage drama wasn't tolerated in that house.

NO PHONE CALLS ON WEEKENDS!! Non-debatable.

And--AND, we weren't allowed to go to anyone's house on Sunday. My parents believed it to be rude if we went knocking on anyone's door to see if their little darling could come out & play. Sunday was family day, dad's home from work day. Dads did NOT need their house filled with other peoples kids.

What I hated was when one of my 'friends' would decide they were pissed at me, and call my house at 3 am. I would get in trouble...you know...because I have control over what the schmuck did from their house...

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I think the jury is unanimous. Kid a twit, parents absentee, VERDICT... Cuss them out but good...

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Then again...some parents sleep like the dead & may not realize that their kid did this...or it could have been a sleep over--again, the parents not realizing the phone was to be their source of entertainment.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
This is precisely the kind of job the Biscuiteers exist for. You'll hear a satisfying 5th-grader cellphone squwunch in just one moment.

ness.jpg

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just called her mom.

She thanked me profusely. She was shocked. She said "Midnight! She was supposed to be in bed!"

That kid is in troublllllllllllllle.

:D

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
This is where you do that crazy dance:

Oooh yeah...oooh yeah,
who's your daddy, who's your daddy
eh, eh, eh, eh,
*wiggle butt while making tug-o-war motions with arms/hands*

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then again...some parents sleep like the dead & may not realize that their kid did this...or it could have been a sleep over--again, the parents not realizing the phone was to be their source of entertainment.

It wasn't a sleepover. We have caller I.D. She called from her own house.

Oh, that reminds me. Last fall, this same kid called my daughter from a sleepover party at another girl's house and accused her of stealing the girl's Gameboy (my daughter had been there earlier - it was a two-night sleepover but I limited her to one night.) The kid put the two other little girls at the party to get on the phone, and they all started accusing my daughter, calling her a liar, demanding she return the "stolen" Gameboy. My daughter was in tears. They called three times, but the third time, I answered and demanded to speak to the mother of the girl having the party. She was appalled at the girls' behavior, had had no idea they were using the phone, and forced them to apologize.

However, the accusations continued at school. It was all very ugly. Later, the girl found her Gameboy under the couch.

Fifth grade girls. Ugh.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
You're way more tolerant than I am, Dev. I'd have been on the phone at midnight called repeatedly until someone answered and when they did, I'd have asked, did I wake you? Good, feel my pain, thank your kid, now go get me Starbucks.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're way more tolerant than I am, Dev. I'd have been on the phone at midnight called repeatedly until someone answered and when they did, I'd have asked, did I wake you? Good, feel my pain, thank your kid, now go get me Starbucks.
If I'd have been awake when she called I'd have really let her have it, then her mom. But I tend to be somewhat less feisty when first roused from a dead sleep.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
If I'd have been awake when she called I'd have really let her have it, then her mom. But I tend to be somewhat less feisty when first roused from a dead sleep.
I'll have to remember that the next time I want a glass of milk at midnight.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could sleep like that. My husband and kids are always astonished at how I go from zero to awake in 6.2 seconds. Comes from always being ready to get up and run from my mother when I was a kid, I'm sure.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Not me, brother. That's when the curse words fly because the censoring part is still asleep, but the angry part just got woke up and it's pissed!

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I yell at the putzes who make the wrong calls 2-3-4x to my number because they think I'm lying when whomever the hell they want isn't here because it's my number and has been for oh gee, 8 years?

And these same halfwits ask: are you sure?
*banging my head on the wall*

Which begs the question: (actually 2) if you ask, then you know the person didn't want to talk to you the last time and, if I'm the one who keeps answering the phone...CLUE... the party you want doesn't give a shite about you in any moment of the day.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the little wartling just called me and apologized.

Whaddayaknow, maybe there's hope for humanity after all.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
It's always creepy receiving calls late at night. More often than not, bad news comes from the other end.

Some memorable ones, all after midnight:

"Mr SK? Your son has been in a car accident."

"Dean. It's me. I need your help. My brother just killed someone."

"You better make sure your doors are locked. They're on their way right now."

The worst one ever was not by phone but a cop crouched over me and yelling, "Get up! Get up! Get up! A crime has been committed in this room." It turned out a woman had been raped on the floor next to the bed I was sharing with my girlfriend. We were passed out after a party and slept through the ordeal...

Of the late night calls I've had that were not an emergency, I always breathe a sigh of relieve afterward, grateful it was just someone who lacked proper phone etiquette.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
It's always creepy receiving calls late at night. More often than not, bad news comes from the other end.

Some memorable ones, all after midnight:

"Mr SK? Your son has been in a car accident."

"Dean. It's me. I need your help. My brother just killed someone."

"You better make sure your doors are locked. They're on their way right now."

The worst one ever was not by phone but a cop crouched over me and yelling, "Get up! Get up! Get up! A crime has been committed in this room." It turned out a woman had been raped on the floor next to the bed I was sharing with my girlfriend. We were passed out after a party and slept through the ordeal...

Of the late night calls I've had that were not an emergency, I always breathe a sigh of relieve afterward, grateful it was just someone who lacked proper phone etiquette.

Jeez, SK... where the hell do you live? Stay safe.