Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
My roomate works as a checker for Albertsons and this little ole' sweet 78-year-old lady is obviously in love with him. He's 38, and it ain't gonna' happen but we love this lonely dear woman. She's been giving him thrice weekly visits and loading him down with 2-3 jokes per visit for the past two years. These jokes, (no joke) are orginal (many of them), hilariously funny, and really cover the gambit. I have a big bag full now, and I asked my roomate if she would allow us to have them for possible print. She agreed and said she would put it in writing.

Where in the heck do I sell something like this? I do believe it would fill a small book--and to be honest, I think she's brain-stormed the majority of these and written them herself entirely and personally for the man of her dreams, Mike, my friend.

I know NOTHING about the humor markets. Can someone help?

Triceratops

P.S. (I would never think of not sending this little lady financial and pub credit, cause we just love the heck out of her).

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
hmmm

If you want to parcel them out one by one, the best place may be Reader's Digest. As for a book? Best I can offer would be to wander down to your local bookstore and see who is currently publishing joke collections. Zap off a request for guidelines and see where it leads.

Afraid I can't be much more help than that.

Anyone else have suggestions?

I guess this also begs the discussion: Are Joke Books still a viable publishing option? Or is there more money to be made selling them off one by one?

Barb

rich

I was thinking along your lines as well, Miss B. A start would be to send some into Reader's Digest. I don't see a publisher accepting a joke book from an unknown. Perhaps this woman can write humorous essays as well.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Thanks all,

I believe you're right is saying that magazines that run jokes from freelancers might be the way to go on this. I really can't think of a pub off-hand who does joke book collections--I saw this trend in the 60's and 70's but I certainly haven't heard of anything recently. I haven't tried the e-zine market yet, and I'll bet that's where some of these collectors might me.

Triceratops

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
trice

If you trust me, give me a couple of samples. If they look like they are something a few of my friends would be interested in I'll try to hook you up.

I won't steal them (unless they are awesome and Leno wants them, then I will rip off so bad your head will spin and you can sue me and i will appeal for 20 years while collecting interest on the billions of dollars I made off of your jokes.) Other than that you can trust me.

I'll know immediately if my guys would like it.

Private message

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
A question.

:ROFL: How do you find out how to submit to Reader's Digest and has anyone had any real success with them? I have some funny things for Life In These United States.

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
What? did you hear me snickering all the way over there, Rich? ;)

I never doubted it for an instant. You're a funny guy. (And I mean that in the nicest way.)

Tell me something. Do you remember how long it took them to send a positive response to you? I mean, I know they don't do the rejection thing, but I am kinda curious as to how fast/slow they respond if interested.

Barb

rich

There was one I got a response to in six weeks. The longest was 6 months. And the method of notification varied. Once I even read the piece in RD then received a check. The check is the contract. In a Dept. like Life in U.S. they'll sometimes call you to verify something.

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
That is good to know.

:D That is good to know because I could not find it in the book. I grew up on Reader's Digest as it was a mainstay in our home. I collect the books that they publish and have found some very interesting and powerful stories.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Judy & all,

Judy asked if anyone had any real success with Reader's Digest. I wouldn't say I've had earth-shattering success:) but I did get into "Life in U.S. Editor," and had quite a number of quips, short anecdotes and puns accepted by them for quite a few years. Now they're not using as many from freelance contributors as much as famous folks.

Happy acceptances, Susie:)

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
I've been subscribing to Reader's Digest for the past year or two. Anybody here had a piece published by them recently (past year or two)? I might actually have the copy it appears in right here in my home. That'd be neat.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Poppy. I haven't had any in RD in a few years... Hope all is well and the day is going great!

Hugs, Susie:)

Brainerd T.

---the wordmaster ---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donthaveone.com
I don't like Reader's Digest any more. They have their own columnists now. They don't seem to import anything. They even have a piece called "Ask Laskas". A Love Lorn column or some dumb thing lak dat.

Status
Not open for further replies.