PDA

View Full Version : NT: Book of Secrets

jst5150
12-24-2007, 09:06 AM
As Ray noted, fun and silly. As RIFE with movie cliches, including:

-- Lots of silver guns. For some reason, every gun in movies is nickel-plated.

-- Bad guys drive black cars. In chases, always.

-- The hacker who can get into anything. In a bathroom stall, with a Blackberry, an iPod and a laptop.

-- The evildoer gone right in the end. I won't embellish this, only to say he really has no reason to do so.

On a final note, Nicolas Cage's hair says, "Hello" in this film and should have received a separate credit. His hairline starts somewhere near his soft spot. And what hair there is swirls around his head like a crown of thorns. Despite this, he's pretty good.

Riley is not.

Ed Harris is wasted.

Helen Mirren! Helen Mirren!

jt

nevada
12-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Possible Spoilers

I loved the first one. So I had high hopes for this one. But I just couldn't buy into it. I guess I just couldn't get past the "why are there Olmec ruins in Dakota?" question. And yes you are right, I didn't understand Ed Harris's turn around. I didnt understand why he went through all that trouble in the first place. If he'd just gone to Nick Cage and asked for help I'm sure Nick would have jumped at it. So I didn't understand the bad guy guise. I totally bought Sean Bean's motivation in the first one.

Helen Mirren was awesome but when is she ever not? My 9 yr old nephew loved it, thought it was better than the first one and he's a discerning movie goer. he's got the mind of a 20 yr old. Maybe it was just me. I wasn't feeling well. Could have been me. But I guess for mindless fun, it wasn't all that bad. It just wasn't for me.

ChunkyC
12-24-2007, 10:58 PM
I agree about all the cliches and goofy stuff. My wife leaned over when Riley set up in the stall and said, "Can someone really do that?" Then when Cage arranged his little get-together with the President, she laughed out loud.

But overall I liked the mindless fun-ness of this one more than the first one, actually. Perhaps because I had a bit better idea of what to expect this time around. I seem to remember thinking the first one took itself a little too seriously, though I may have been off base with that impression, whereas this one had a bit more humour.

And Helen Mirren is -- Helen Mirren. :)

ChunkyC
12-24-2007, 11:06 PM
-- The evildoer gone right in the end. I won't embellish this, only to say he really has no reason to do so.
Well, I think Harris' character did have a reason....

(SPOILER ALERT)

...he found himself in a situation where he was a goner no matter what he did, so he decided his only chance to bring honour to his family name, now that he was doomed, was to do the honourable thing.

Nevada, you are right that he could have saved himself a whole lot of aggravation by just showing Ben (Cage) the piece of paper. Cage would have been on it like Anne Rice on a bad Amazon review.

katiemac
12-24-2007, 11:33 PM
I only have one real interest in the film: Did they keep the scenes at the University of Maryland? Supposedly they had to go see a symbology/linguistics professor ... ?

nevada
12-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Yes they absolutely kept those scenes and they were very funny. That's where Helen Mirren comes in.