Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I posted this on my blog, but figured it needed a mention here as well. In the coming year, let's all practice saying more of the following:

To anyone who asks what you do:
"I'm a writer."

To anyone who asks you to work for free/below market rates:
"I don't take a piss without getting paid!" (Thanks Harlan Ellison!)

To anyone who thinks you're free to do their errands because you work from home:
“I’m sorry, I can’t walk your dog/watch your kids/bake cookies for you. I have very important deadlines.” (And then you disconnect the phone or walk away without further explanation.)

To anyone who thinks you don’t work hard enough for your money:
“Aren’t I lucky? I sit in my pajamas all day and earn obscene amounts of money. I’m truly blessed. How many hours a week do you work?”

To anyone who says they’d write if they had the time:
“Really? Frankly, I’m not sure you’d be able to hack it. You don’t seem the go-getter type.”

To anyone who says you lead a charmed life:
“Yep, I do.” (And you better believe it!)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!

'Tis the season of holiday small-talk, and I am preparing responses to the "I always wanted to write a novel" people.

So far, my all-time best, to a doctor: "Really? Well, I've always wanted to remove an appendix!"

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
lol...love the clever comeback IceCreamPrincess.

Personally, as I commented on your blog Kudra, I need to practice saying "I am a writer" with more conviction. Instead of making it sound like a question and needing approval lol.

I am a writer!

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I never tell people I am a freelance writer. I tell them I am an independent writer or (if you concentrate on non-fiction) a working writer. I also say this to editors.Those who do not work in the editorial field usually state their understanding as "oh, freelance writer". With these, it is hard to change mindsets. If I had my way, I would have the word 'freelance' expunged from the English language.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I say "freelance journalist" actually. Or "writer." But I'm known to say freelance writer as well.

It's usually when they ask me who I work for, and I say "well, I'm freelance" that my confidence goes kaput. Then I list the pubs I work with and all is well with the world again.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I . . . am . . . a . . . rocket scientist.

Phew. Glad I got that off my chest. :D

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To anyone who thinks you're free to do their errands because you work from home:
“I’m sorry, I can’t walk your dog/watch your kids/bake cookies for you. I have very important deadlines.” (And then you disconnect the phone or walk away without further explanation.)

And add to that: "I'm sorry I can't go to the store and buy you medicine, feminine products, lunch items. And I can't go do your banking for you while you go off to your "real" job. And I can't call up doctors and dentists and make appointments for you since I have "nothing" to do anyways."

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com

Of late I've been needing to say that quite often. And it bugs me every time to see people who consider my work to be either non-existent or lesser than "conventional" work. Arghhh.

Thanks, Kudra! Here's a big high-five!

Sury

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'm a w-w-w-w-w-watermelon!

I'm a w-w-w-w-w-walrus!

*sigh*