PDA

View Full Version : Last Episodes - *spoilers?*

BruceJ
12-21-2007, 09:36 PM
So, what was the best/worst one, in your opinion?

*Spoiler?*

The best: Newhart. I know dream endings are risky, but I thought it really worked flashing back to The Bob Newhart Show with Bob waking up having dreamed the whole Vermont inn thing. Maybe it's because I loved the original show so much (not to mention having a thing for Suzanne Pleshette), and that they kept it such a great secret until the very end.

Not sure I really have a worst one at the moment. I'll have to think on it. (I know, so why did you ask...?)

BruceJ
12-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Not sure I really have a worst one at the moment. I'll have to think on it. (I know, so why did you ask...?)
Oh, yeah. Referring back to the Shortest Run thread: the first and last episode of Turn-On. Not sure that counts here, but it should have at least an honorable mention on any hall of shame. :)

katiemac
12-21-2007, 09:54 PM
I can count on one hand the number of shows I watched until the end, and I can't think of one that was particularly good.

I remember the Will & Grace finale was terrible. I'd stopped watching it years before, but turned it on to see the end. It was a rip-off of the Mad About You finale, and I think it was even the same writers. Awful.

Seinfeld was disappointing also, at least at the time. I haven't seen it since.

DaddyCat
12-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Agreed that Newhart was the best.

Worst was the interminable, syrup-laden tar pit of self-indulgence that was the last episode of M*A*S*H.

Though it's not a category here, it bears mention that possibly the weirdest ending ever was The Prisoner.

Calla Lily
12-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Ugh, completely agree about M*A*S*H. My mother loved that show and we had to watch it. Every. Single. Night. There were times I'd gladly have disemboweled Alan Alda just so he'd SHUT UP.

One of the best:
*spoiler*

Forever Knight. Tied up all the loose ends (altho I was disappointed that they killed off Tracy, even tho she was nowhere near as good a partner as Schanke). Everyone kept in character. LaCroix agreeing to stake Nick and Nat was perfect. And the sunrise, as companion to the sunset in the opening credits--ahhh.

"Last" ep that made me throw things:
*spoiler*

BBC's Life on Mars. Yeah, I know there's a Season 2 started (I keep missing the airings. Augh!) But at the last ep of season 1 the writers fulfilled every condition, answered every question, left us no other choice but to watch him wake up in the hospital bed with his GF and buds all happy, and what did they do? Kept him in 1973 for NO OTHER REASON than to make another 13 episodes! AARRGGHH!

BruceJ
12-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Ugh, completely agree about M*A*S*H. My mother loved that show and we had to watch it. Every. Single. Night. There were times I'd gladly have disemboweled Alan Alda just so he'd SHUT UP.

:roll:

Yeah, I forgot about that one, too. Didn't it run an extra 30 mins or so, just so they could get it all in? Don't remember for sure.

Christine N.
12-21-2007, 11:58 PM
No one's yet mentioned The Sopranos?

Surprising. :)

Jersey Chick
12-22-2007, 12:48 AM
I liked the M*A*S*H finale once Hawkeye was let out of the loony hospital. I love the show, though I agree the earlier ones are by far better...

The finale of Roseanne wasn't bad - I thought it was kind of cool that they had her writing the show as book, changing what she didn't like about her life and the people in it.

Seinfeld was kind of a blah finale.

I'm probably one of about 6 people who've never seen a episode of the Sopranos - though I'd like to slap David Chase in the head for using that Journey song - now it's back on the radio all the freakin' time...

BruceJ
12-22-2007, 03:06 AM
I'm probably one of about 6 people who've never seen a episode of the Sopranos...
I must be the second of six...:)

Jersey Chick
12-22-2007, 04:29 AM
Our cable company was out scouting for new blood a few years back, and since we only have the basics (no movie channels) he tried to sucker lure convince me to get HBO by saying, "But the Sopranos season premiere is coming up. Now you won't miss it!"

You should've seen the look on his face when I told him I'd never seen it and, really, how can I miss something I've never seen? It was like I told him I'd never seen telelvision set before. Priceless.

Needless to say, I didn't bite. :D

maxmordon
12-22-2007, 04:48 AM
I kinda liked the finale from 3rd Rock From The Sun. I though it was original finish it with a downer and kinda cried with the song

BruceJ
12-22-2007, 05:09 AM
I kinda liked the finale from 3rd Rock From The Sun. I though it was original finish it with a downer and kinda cried with the sun
Missed that one, too. I did enjoy some of their earlier episodes. The discovery of the sneeze was classic. :D My schedule doesn't allow much TV viewing. I should have my son-in-law ghostwriting on this board for me. :)

Serenity
12-22-2007, 07:21 AM
One of the best: The last ep of Third Watch with Sully fishing and ending with his infamous, "Crap." Perfect. I also enjoyed Babylon 5's "Sleeping in Light".

The worst? I had a WTF moment watching Stargate SG1's finale. I mean, I know they're making movies and all, but STILL...

ChaosTitan
12-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Some of the best: Third Watch, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Buffy (I'm still on the fence about Angel), Roseanne, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, MASH (sorry, but I liked it).

Some of the worst: Enterprise, The West Wing, and any series that was cancelled on a cliffhanger episode or simply faded out of existence (I'm looking at you, seaQuest!).

katiemac
12-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Some of the best: Third Watch, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Buffy (I'm still on the fence about Angel), Roseanne, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, MASH (sorry, but I liked it).

Angel could have been better if the WB had let Whedon build on it for more than two episodes. As it was, I think they had to wrap things up far too quickly.

But Buffy was good, as far as finales go. Not in my top 10 episodes, but a fitting end.

Evaine
12-22-2007, 03:33 PM
The end of the second season of Life on Mars - which really is the end - is well worth waiting for, and quite unexpected, but totally right for the character.
Looking forward to Ashes to Ashes, which will have a different main character but will still have Gene Hunt, this time set in the early 1980s.

David Erlewine
12-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Best - BBC Office (went out as only they could but then had the "Christmas special" which didn't blow me away but wasn't as awful as some made it out to be)
Worst - Seinfeld (at the time of viewing...upon seeing again, years later, it wasn't as bad as I'd made it out to be)

Christine N.
12-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Charmed. One of the best series enders ever. Neat and tidy and wonderful.

And I like the end of That 70's Show. New Year's Eve, 1980. Just kinda cool.

Calla Lily
12-22-2007, 06:45 PM
I must be the second of six...:)

I'm the third. I never watch The Sopranos. If I want to immerse myself in loud WOP culture, All I have to do is wait for an extended family gathering. All the hand gestures come out, the bocce ball, the slang old-workd expressions--and yes, at important gatherings, our MAFIA cousins--distant, but there.

I like my entertainment of the "Calgon, take me away!" variety. :D

Christine N.
12-22-2007, 08:22 PM
I heart Bocce ball!

maestrowork
12-23-2007, 05:04 AM
Worst:
Will and Grace -- it's contrived, trite, and just not funny.
Seinfeld -- oh please.
Twin Peaks -- WTF?

Best:
Six Feet Under

rkbentley
12-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Best: Star Trek: TNG. Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Journeyman. Cheers.
Worst: Sienfield. Friends. Sopranos. X-Files. Dark Angel.