Puerto Rico

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
strugglingwritersblog.blogspot.com
My WIP isn't set in Puerto Rico, though I may end up there at some point. but the MC was born there and spent most of her life there. Her father was Puerto Rican. I can't change this b/c...it just happened. I've done some research, but anything you guys have to add could be helpful.

Has anyone been there? What does it look like? What's the weather? What are the people like? I'm talking the working class...her father worked at a paper mill in Arecibo Puerto Rico.

What about the health care there? Her father died from cancer....

I know they are Catholic, but does anyone know some prayers in Spanish?

Any help would be fabulous!

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Puerto Rican. I can help you with some of your questions. I will ask my mom for Spanish prayers, but I believe they are the same as in English. Not all Puerto Ricans are Catholic, some are Pentecostal. As a kid, we went from one religion to another until we all found our way. I'm an athiest, my parents are Pentecostal, my brother is Jewish, and two sisters are catholic (one religiously and the other culturally).

As far as healthcare, not so good. My younger sister moved to PR in March of this year and moved back to the States because her six month old has disabilities (she didn't know that when she moved). When she went to the doctor for treatment he said that the best advice he can give her is to move back to Florida - which she did.

The setting of my book, The Devil's Playground, is in PR.

I started my blog a few weeks ago and have included information about PR and our traditions. I will be including more as time goes on. Here are two posts that relate to PR. Next week I'll be adding another post on Puerto Rican traditions.

http://auriacortes.com/puerto-rican-tradition-a-trip-to-the-airport/

http://auriacortes.com/setting-of-the-devils-playground-my-beautiful-family-and-heritage/ (believe it or not, this post has a religious song (partial only) attached to it from my aunt and uncle's Christian band. On the cover of the cd, you will find a picture of them. The background is in front of their home.

Last edited: