PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Disappointments

BruceJ
12-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Or maybe, the worst casting. Ever have great expectations of a show based upon who's in it, and then get totally deflated when you see it?

Family Business was one of mine. Sean Connery, Dustin Hoffman and Matthew Broderick. Just the first two names held great promise for me, but talk about spinning, crashing and burning! I dunno, maybe I just didn't get it...:Shrug:

DaddyCat
12-21-2007, 06:41 PM
I can think of two: "Prizzi's Honor" because the trailer sold it as a comedy, and the Devlin-Emmerich "Godzilla" for managing to be the only Godzilla movie ever that failed to even entertain in its badness.

BruceJ
12-21-2007, 06:50 PM
...the Devlin-Emmerich "Godzilla" for managing to be the only Godzilla movie ever that failed to even entertain in its badness.

:roll:

Except maybe for a Mystery Science Theater 3000 segment.

nerds
12-21-2007, 06:57 PM
The Black Dahlia: an opportunity to make a small masterpiece but instead we had Josh lump-of-rock-has-more-acting-range Hartnett and a script which apparently was tossed into a blender, put into a pinata, and smashed to the set floor, whereupon a mad scramble ensued for all the little pieces.

childeroland
12-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Star Wars prequels
Star Trek: Nemesis
Black Dahlia
District B13
The Ring 2

BruceJ
12-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Oh, and Life Aquatic is up there, too. I like Bill Murray, Cate Blanchette and Angelica Huston, but, man was that movie a bust. I turned it off after about 20 minutes. Maybe if I had perservered...but, it had been a tough enough week already without doing that to myself, too.

ChunkyC
12-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier -- I loves me my Trek and the opening scene was awesome in the theatre, from there it was like jumping from a plane without a parachute. The worst film in the franchise, by far.

Calla Lily
12-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Snakes on a Plane
Shaun of the Dead

Two movies that couldn't make up their minds whether they were comedy, satire, or straight-up horror. And failed miserably at all 3 choices.

Fantastic 4--Silver Surfer. Except for the Surfer's voice (swoon), it was a 2-hour exercise in product placement. I really like Ioan Gryffud, but he's completely miscast in those movies.

Then there's Spider-Man 3--I'll never get those twenty hours of my life back! What? It wasn't a 20-hour movie? Are you sure? Maybe I lost track of time because of the pain from the forks I repeatedly stuck in my eyes.

Oh, and Superman Returns. Yay! The Man of Steel as Deadbeat Dad!

maestrowork
12-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Yup, the Black Dahlia. Such potential, and with Brian De Palma, too. What a disappointment.

The Kite Runner. Really didn't do the book justice.

Brothers Grimm. So totally not what I expected and a big pile of steaming dung. What were Matt Damon and Heath Ledger thinking?

BruceJ
12-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Brothers Grimm. So totally not what I expected and a big pile of steaming dung. What were Matt Damon and Heath Ledger thinking?
Yup, that one caught me off-guard, too. Looked like it was going to be/could have been pretty good, but...

DaddyCat
12-21-2007, 10:32 PM
How could I have forgotten the most disappointing film of all time?

The Blair Witch Project.

Yes, I fell for the hype on that one. Rumored to be the scariest movie ever, it turned out to be a group of college students running around and swearing at each other for an hour and a half. Ooooohh, I'm so scared....

I propose that if they ever start giving out awards for biggest disappointments and/or most unfulfilled hype, the award statues should be named The Blairs.

David Erlewine
12-21-2007, 10:43 PM
The pilot episode of the NBC "Office", nearly repeating word for word, scene for scene, the pilot BBC version. The show has gotten better but I canceled my season pass immediately after seeing the pilot.

Tiger
12-21-2007, 11:00 PM
"Kill Bill: Vol II"

Super dialogue by David Carradine while making a balogna sandwitch.

Gevalt

kristie911
12-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Then there's Spider-Man 3--I'll never get those twenty hours of my life back! What? It wasn't a 20-hour movie? Are you sure? Maybe I lost track of time because of the pain from the forks I repeatedly stuck in my eyes.

Holy crap, that was a horrible movie. I was incredibly disappointed.

ChunkyC
12-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle.

I was hoping it might be better than the first installment, but instead of improving on the original, it took everything that stunk in the first movie and increased the stinkiness ten-fold, then added more of the same. What a waste of time.

robeiae
12-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Mel Brooks' remake of To Be Or Not To Be.

maxmordon
12-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Several Venezuelan films, specially Francisco De Miranda and El Sr. presidente (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_cdKwIisMc)

Also The Simpsons Movie

Will Lavender
12-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Babel.

I am normally not one to trash films that a lot of people like. In fact, I'm fairly easy to please. I like art films and Hollywood explosion-o-thons and a lot of stuff in between. I'm all over the place: loved Lost in Translation; loved Night at the Museum; loved Borat. I even enjoyed Crash! And I hate to come off as a grumpster, because I don't understand these folks who seem to pride themselves in throwing bad books across the room and ejecting DVDs five minutes in because they're bored or the casting was wrong or the director left out a scene from the novel. I'm really a fun-lovin' guy who gives a lot of different kinds of things a chance. Really.

But MY GOD was this movie terrible on almost every single imaginable level. I've never seen an award-winning film get so many things wrong. You talk about a jumbled mess of a script...

The only movie that has ever made me physically angry.

Calla Lily
12-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Mel Brooks' remake of To Be Or Not To Be.

LOL! I love that and really dislike Jack Benny's original.

I just remembered one of the worst pieces of mis-casting: The remake of Psycho.

And one of the few movies that made me contemplate physical violence: Steve Martin's Roxanne. This will be understood when I explain that 1)Cyrano de Bergerac is my favorite play, ever, and 2) I detest everything Steve Martin's ever done. The DH took me to it when we were engaged. It's one of the two things he's done that I've thrown up to him in arguments years later.

Where's Jersey Chick? I need to set my hair on fire.

(The other thing was when he suggested I wear a girdle to his office Christmas party. [women, pause to scream. thanks.] No, I didn't dismember him. No, he didn understand why I burst into tears. And no, I didn't wear one. I don't own one. And I was most assuredly not the chubbiest wife there.)

HeronW
12-22-2007, 12:57 AM
The Doors done in '91 with Val Kilmer who can't sing.
The movie was about an hour too long alternating between sex and drugs.

Jcomp
12-22-2007, 05:44 AM
Oh, and Life Aquatic is up there, too. I like Bill Murray, Cate Blanchette and Angelica Huston, but, man was that movie a bust. I turned it off after about 20 minutes. Maybe if I had perservered...but, it had been a tough enough week already without doing that to myself, too.

Have you tried to watch it more than once? Because I had the exact same feeling you did the first time I saw it--I don't even know if I made it 20 minutes before thinking "This is lousy, off you go"--but then I re-watched it on a whim, and once I was in a frame of mind of knowing what to expect, I rather fell for the damn movie. I'm still scratching my head on that one, but it might work for you too.

Or you might try it again and think "Dear God, it's even worse than before." I which point, I accept no culpability and will pretend I never made this recommendation...

JoNightshade
12-22-2007, 05:47 AM
Two letters: AI. That movie was the biggest film disappointment I've ever had. It could have been so good. SO GOOD. I want to cry just thinking about it.

Shady Lane
12-22-2007, 05:58 AM
Babel.

I am normally not one to trash films that a lot of people like. In fact, I'm fairly easy to please. I like art films and Hollywood explosion-o-thons and a lot of stuff in between. I'm all over the place: loved Lost in Translation; loved Night at the Museum; loved Borat. I even enjoyed Crash! And I hate to come off as a grumpster, because I don't understand these folks who seem to pride themselves in throwing bad books across the room and ejecting DVDs five minutes in because they're bored or the casting was wrong or the director left out a scene from the novel. I'm really a fun-lovin' guy who gives a lot of different kinds of things a chance. Really.

But MY GOD was this movie terrible on almost every single imaginable level. I've never seen an award-winning film get so many things wrong. You talk about a jumbled mess of a script...

The only movie that has ever made me physically angry.

I was honestly about to write this exact post.

Also--Million Dollar Baby. My God. Might as well call a spade a spade--that was a Disney Channel Original Movie for grown-ups.

maestrowork
12-22-2007, 06:15 AM
Planet of the Apes with Mark Wahlberg. Ugh.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon -- I just don't know what the fuss was about. Sorry. All those high-wire flying is just ridiculous. Maybe because I grew up with cheesy Chinese martial art movie I just think it's a bore.

The Departed -- I was really disappointed by the ending.

Will Lavender
12-22-2007, 06:16 AM
Two letters: AI. That movie was the biggest film disappointment I've ever had. It could have been so good. SO GOOD. I want to cry just thinking about it.

Hmmm, I really liked AI.

Yet.

It did feel like two different movies, the first half directed by Kubrick and the second by Spielberg. And Spielberg's half was, as always, a bit over the top and borderline sentimental. But I thought the mother/son dynamic was interesting, and that flash-forward to the alien race was fascinating.

Not one of my favorites, surely, but it's an interesting footnote (and I don't mean that in a totally negative way) to Kubrick's career.

Will Lavender
12-22-2007, 06:18 AM
Also--Million Dollar Baby. My God. Might as well call a spade a spade--that was a Disney Channel Original Movie for grown-ups.

Yeah, I didn't think this movie was as good as everyone made it out to be.

Really liked the first half. Liked Morgan Freeman's character, as always. But when the boxer's family came in, I tuned out. Totally stereotypical. They were almost cartoonish. It was like Eastwood took the worst Southern caricature he could think of and incorporated it, and it totally wrecked the tone of the movie.

JoNightshade
12-22-2007, 06:36 AM
I loved Million Dollar Baby, but it could be because I have some sort of weird fetish for boxing movies. (And normally I hate sports and sports movies, which makes it even stranger.)

To me, the whole thing is a discussion of suicide. The reason I loved it so much was because it never generalized, it never made an absolute statement - it just raised tons of questions. I LOVE movies like that. Watching one of those with someone is like having an awesome conversation piece on your coffee table.

So I didn't really see it as being about the story so much as about the issue, through a story. If you know what I mean.

Will Lavender
12-22-2007, 06:41 AM
So I didn't really see it as being about the story so much as about the issue, through a story. If you know what I mean.

I agree with this. I think the movie did a good job of packaging the issue inside the other thematic elements, notably the toughness of the main character and the way she's "saved" by Eastwood. All of that stuff was well-done, in my opinion, and didn't feel preachy at all. (And, like you, I love boxing movies.)

The movie fell apart for me, as I said, with Hillary Swank's mother. I remember the actress well from Dead Man Walking, but for some reason she just chewed the scenery in this film. It was a way over the top, unnecessary performance that diminished the emotionally wrenching scenes that ended the film.

ChaosTitan
12-22-2007, 07:30 AM
The Ring. Such a huge deal made about how creepy/scary it was. Blah. *snore*

The Thin Red Line. The birds got more screen time than the stellar cast. *double snore*

"Private Practice." With a cast of known names like Tim Daly, Taye Diggs, Audra MacDonald, and Amy Brenneman, not to mention the writing talents of Shonda Rhimes...well.... *sigh* Something just never gelled for me.

JB_Finesse
12-23-2007, 10:10 AM
The Departed -- I was really disappointed by the ending.

...what? I loved the ending! Do you have a problem with justice or something?

Oh, and am I the only one who liked The Life Aquatic?

childeroland
12-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Maybe maestrowork means the rat -- which some people thought was a bit heavy-handed.

...what? I loved the ending! Do you have a problem with justice or something?

Gravity
12-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Lost in Space. Arrrgghh. I was hoping, oh so hoping, for a campy treatment. That's what gave the original series its charm: "We know this sucks. Revel in its suckiness!" But this...Lord, what a mess.

The two biggest turnoffs--besides the nonexistant story--were Penny's voice (obviously dubbed; God knows why), and the ending. I mean, just when I thought the stupid film was seriously going to kick it into gear...it ends. Not with a bang, children, but a whimper. Irwin Allen must be turning over in his grave (he is dead, isn't he?).

Toothpaste
12-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Hate to break it to you man, but that was the actress who played Penny's real voice. Yeah . . . I know . . .

Sai
12-24-2007, 03:58 AM
'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen', or 'LXG.' Oh, what a fool I was. I saw the trailers and thought 'That is going to be awesome.' I went to the local comic book shop and bought the latest issue; it was awesome. The comic book shop people tried to warn me, but I was there opening weekend, with my cousin and brother in tow (I had gotten movie theater coupons awhile back as a gift, so the fact I could get us in for free persuaded them). And it was awful. Not just in comparison to the source material, but on it's own merits it was atrocious. 'Bomb voyage'? What the hell?

On the bright side, it helped me get into Alan Moore and American comics, so it's not all ball. Not all bad.

ChaosTitan
12-24-2007, 06:27 AM
The two biggest turnoffs--besides the nonexistant story--were Penny's voice (obviously dubbed; God knows why),

Hate to break it to you man, but that was the actress who played Penny's real voice. Yeah . . . I know . . .

I think Lacey Chabert is an acquired taste. ;) And oddly, she has a lovely singing voice.

III
12-24-2007, 06:50 AM
A History of Violence. Viggo in a gritty role, based off a graphic novel and it turned out to be the worst movie I've ever seen in my life.

The Illusionist was disappointing. Great cast and premise, but I was underwhelmed.

Star Wars 3

Meet Joe Black

More recently Superbad which had been built up by many of my friends but was average at best.

The 40 Year Old Virgin was just okay but should have been so much better.

childeroland
12-24-2007, 07:26 AM
I thought I was the only one underwhelmed by A History of Violence. Has anyone read the book -- if so, how does it compare?

Had the misfortune to see Illusionist after Nolan's masterful Prestige.

A History of Violence. Viggo in a gritty role, based off a graphic novel and it turned out to be the worst movie I've ever seen in my life.

The Illusionist was disappointing. Great cast and premise, but I was underwhelmed.

Star Wars 3

Meet Joe Black

More recently Superbad which had been built up by many of my friends but was average at best.

The 40 Year Old Virgin was just okay but should have been so much better.

Joe270
12-24-2007, 10:54 AM

Yep, Superbad was just that. I saw nothing funny in the movie that wasn't shown in the shortest of the trailers.

Yes.

HeronW
12-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Remake of House of Wax was so bad I rooted for the psychopath to kill everyone FAST so the movie would be over sooner.

Same for Texas Chainsaw Massacre--all versions.

Jcomp
12-24-2007, 08:14 PM
I thought I was the only one underwhelmed by A History of Violence. Has anyone read the book -- if so, how does it compare?

The graphic novel tells a very different, less realistic story. And is probably even more violent.

Jcomp
12-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon -- I just don't know what the fuss was about. Sorry. All those high-wire flying is just ridiculous. Maybe because I grew up with cheesy Chinese martial art movie I just think it's a bore.

I could see that deflating the effect. I was completely amazed by it. After the rooftop chase/fight I wanted to applaud right there in the theater.

Storyteller5
12-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Absolute Power. That might've been the flattest performance I've ever seen by Clint Eastwood. But then again, books are rarely as magical when translated to movies.

Calla Lily
12-25-2007, 07:55 AM
I beg to disagree on The Illusionist. I rented it on a vague "not bad" recommendation from a friend, and I was impressed and delighted. Also didn't guess the ending, but I was blindsided because of the "from a story by Steven Millhauser" and I hate, detest and despise the one novel of his I read, and expected a gratuitously depressing ending.

Although I did keep having "Smoochy" superimposing on Norton's face during this, LOL.

JB_Finesse
12-25-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm sure SOMEONE liked The Life Aquatic.

...then again, I tolerated The Postman. I need serious help.

Anyway, Smokin' Aces was a big disappointment. For what it was, it didn't have nearly enough carnage.

Will Lavender
12-25-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm sure SOMEONE liked The Life Aquatic.

...then again, I tolerated The Postman. I need serious help.

Anyway, Smokin' Aces was a big disappointment. For what it was, it didn't have nearly enough carnage.

I liked The Life Acquatic. I thought Murray played the same role much better in Lost in Translation, and The Royal Tenenbaums was a sharper movie, but I enjoyed Acquatic.

I love droll, flat, bloodless humor.

Uma
12-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Far and away the film which introduced Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in their first on screen performance.

I saw it in the theatre at age 14 and walked out feeling competely stunned by the atrocity of it. Never burst out laughing at a 'sad' scene before either. I never bought a movie ticket with the same innocence again.

childeroland
12-26-2007, 02:50 AM
Well, a Cruise-Kidman pairing might do that for you (excepting 'Eyes Wide Shut'). Seen 'Days of Thunder'?

Far and away the film which introduced Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in their first on screen performance.

I saw it in the theatre at age 14 and walked out feeling competely stunned by the atrocity of it. Never burst out laughing at a 'sad' scene before either. I never bought a movie ticket with the same innocence again.

Chasing the Horizon
12-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Beowulf -- looked like they made the movie using The Sims 2, and was a confusing way of telling the story on top of it.

Kill Bill Vol 2 -- apparently they ran out of good ideas after the first one. All that build-up and then there's no real battle with Bill. I mean, WTF?

NikeeGoddess
12-27-2007, 03:30 AM
The Bravo One - not because it wasn't good. i absolutely loved it. i was disappointed that it didn't do well at the box office. i know people may have compared it to Death Wish but this character was so much more realistic that i doubt i could watch DW with the same rootin' tootin' enthusiasm as i had before.

maxmordon
12-27-2007, 04:07 AM
Enchanted, at the end is just like the movies they are critizicing at

chartreuse
12-27-2007, 04:46 AM
How could I have forgotten the most disappointing film of all time?

The Blair Witch Project.

Yes, I fell for the hype on that one. Rumored to be the scariest movie ever, it turned out to be a group of college students running around and swearing at each other for an hour and a half. Ooooohh, I'm so scared....

Yeah, sure, right.

I wasn't scared either, until we went camping a few days later. Do you have any idea how many little of piles of sticks there are in the woods?

Mommmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!