open to all?

yanallefish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
howewriter2000.4t.com
...So, I have this story I'm working on that is based in 1)The Kalevala and 2)The Bible, and is also very much "fantasy". It isn't preachy or anything; I took one part of the Bible and various from Kalevala (which some of you might know is the Finnish version of the Beginning, basically).

Now, I have a PCA who knows what my own religion is - she's some kind of Christian and that's fine, as long as we don't step on each other's coattails, we've said to one another, we're fine. But she seems to have a problem with what I'm writing currently.

Anybody else use other religions for story ideas at times, and how do you guys handle it if you do and then run into someone from that religion? Personally I think there's a great amount of story ideas from the religious epics of all nations - I'm not being sacreligious, heck I based several tales on the Celtic Gods.

But really... ??

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I can't seem to touch fiction without automatically centering the story on some layer of religion, spirituality, or god/goddess lore. I just can't. I don't know why?

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
What's a PCA?

And what is her specific objection to what you are writing?

There is a lot that can be done with the Kalevala and the Bible. There are some similar story tracks to play with.

The same could be said of most major religions, of course....

Good luck.

yanallefish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
howewriter2000.4t.com
What's a PCA?

PCA = Personal Care Attendant (I'm a well-adjusted Disabled Green Celtic Wiccan Dwarf Without Dwarfism*G*)

And what is her specific objection to what you are writing?

She gets... uncomfortable. She's new, only been around a few weeks, so we aren't in sync totally yet, granted, but she visibly squirmed when she asked me about the story and I told her. Go figure it'd be one of the few stories I ever write that are based on more obvious Biblical characters. Her energy went bizarre on me.

I know there's various religions that have histories used in fiction; what I don't understand is why it seems to be ok to use the Kalevala, the tales of the Roman Gods, the Celtic Ones, or the Talmud (I've seen it done at least once) and so on for ideas but it's sacreligious to do it with regards to the Christian Bible? There's only one writer I can think of who openly does that one, and well he is Christian (well, Mormon specifically).

I supose a case could be made for "you're always going to offend someone"; I'm just wondering how you all deal with that.

yanallefish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
howewriter2000.4t.com
dunno if she's ever read it. I knew the name, had to look it up to remember where I'd seen it before. It's on my "books to find and read someday" list, is where, duh:)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I've got Catholic friends and family members who went balistic when they read my fictional novel based on the very well known and oft' described religious conflict of the Tudor era. The most often heard quote: "Why do you have to pick on MY religion?"

Uh. I dunno. Maybe 'cause it's the one that was in power at the time... ? The story of Henry VIII and Anny Boleyn wouldn't have BEEN a story if the Catholic church hadn't been involved.

How do/did I deal with it? I just shrugged and went on my merry way. You can't please all the people, etc....

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
The woman may be a great caregiver but she's obviously uncomfortable with hearing/reading/seeing anything outside of her narrow idea of what 'Christian' is. Just because Jesus and Odin both hung on trees for 3 days can't make her open-minded about cross-religious actions.

There's got to be a better audience for your novel--have you tried posting to the SYW board here or asking for a beta-er here?

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Well, I perked right up at the bible/kalevala thing. I love the Kalevala and want to see more Sampo-based fantasy :D

...Pity I'm not your PCA, I guess.