Sweeney Todd: The Master Thread

Reaction score
Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd

1.jpg

The fillum's not out 'til January 2008 but he can cut my throat and turn me into a pie any time! :D

davids

Banned
Reaction score
A damn barber who cuts people and killifies em-it is also a terrific twentieth century opera.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Yup-there are some recordings around-it is sung in English and as it is a recording the words are quite easy to understand-it is an opera thing-usually the words do not come across-not as easily understood-however in a recording it is worth it-then if you ever get a chance to see a traditional stage production-well it is worth it-great music and not at all twelve tone crap-but actually melodic and close enough at times to fine movie music-even if you are not an opera lover-it can be a great theatrical pleasure. Damn it I cannot remember who composed it-no matter-if you are interested in the least the folks behind the counter will know! Oh and a studio recording if there is one-the live shows have less good sound quality usually-you never know though!

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
When I first saw this a few months ago, I thought: YES! YES! YES! And proceeded to dance around the room. I've been looking forward to this for ages!

I heard a rumor that Alan Rickman is going to play the corrupt judge. Can anybody confirm? (Please, please, please?)

Reaction score
What's the betting Danny Elfman does the same-old-same-old with the soundtrack?

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't he booked through 2012 as Snape?

He's got all of two lines in those movies, though. If he's doing it, I will liquify into a puddle of female hormones. I love Alan Rickman.

EDIT: I just checked IMDB, and it says he's doing it! *melts*

For all the criticism that Elfman gets, I like to think that his music suits the movies he does. It's sort of like an old friend, you know? Although, if they did something a little different for this movie, it could end up being one of those super-awesome classics. At least in my book. (Which is the only one that matters.)

Last edited:

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhh please let the Dark Shadows rumor be true!

I'm not a tremendous Johnny Depp fan, but have grown to appreciate his work as I've gotten older. I AM an Alan Rickman devotee and jump at any chance to see him onscreen.

I've wanted to see Sweeny Todd onscreen since I first heard about it when I was a kid and my mother spoke of the stage play.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Look I think the pic is sexy. And I love my Johnny Depp.

But.

The thing I have always adored about Sweeney Todd is that he is a big guy. He looks brutal, like he could be a butcher (despite being a barber). And Johnny, he just ain't. Also I don't know if Johnny has the singing chops. I reserve judgement as I really want this to work. But still . . . pity they didn't cast an amazing unknown in the lead.

Plot *spolier?*:

Man returns home after being sent to sea by the judge who raped his wife and kept his daughter to raise (and who he now plans to marry). Is a bit bitter. Decides to seek revenge. In the meantime passes the time returning to his old profession of being a barber above the meat pie shop of Mrs. Lovett (to be played by Helena Bonham Carter), who's pies are known to be "the worst pies in london". Todd gets even more bitter and through a series of incidents he decides he'll kill his clients until he can get revenge on the judge and Mrs. Lovett will use the meat to make pies. Her pies become very popular. Won't say how it all turns out, but the music is amazing, very clever lyrics. By Stephen Sondheim who did Into the Woods.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
Actually, Johnny can sing. But it will be hard for me to hear anyone other than Angela Landsbury as Mrs. Lovett.

Although, as with the last Sweeney Todd thread, I'm going to be singing "Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd..." for the rest of the evening in my head.

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
Anthony Head?? Giles from Buffy?! *dies*

OK, seriously...I don't know what to expect from this movie. I love the casting for everyone other than Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett--Alan Rickman will be perfect as the Judge, Anthony Head rules in general, and the Borat guy (can't remember his name) should be really good as Pirelli. I've also heard that they've cast an unknown with a great voice as Toby.

However, I have my doubts about how well it'll really turn out. We all saw what happened when Tim Burton and Johnny Depp got together to try to make Charlie and the Chocolate Factory scary--that was just awful, and Depp completely failed to impress (though I love him in most things). Then there's Helena Bonham Carter, who from what I've seen pretty much only knows how to play one role--crazily creepy (see, for example, Corpse Bride, Frankenstein, and Harry Potter 5). I can't imagine her as Mrs. Lovett (who is crazily creepy...but in an old woman kind of way rather than an insane corpse-curse casting way...).

Russell Crowe was originally supposed to play Sweeney Todd. How I wish that had worked out!

Last edited:

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
HBC was also crazily creepy in Big Fish, but was really good. She was wonderful in Lady Jane.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The trailer has just come out for the film of this fabulous musical, and I was curious what people's opinions were on the subject.

Personally I think I'll reserve judgment till the movie. But I have to say that what I did like was that while it is obviously going to be very stylised it seems to not be the typical Burton snowy Gothic scape (still Gothic though). I still don't think Johnny has the singing chops, but he was really devoted to the brief moment you get to see him sing, and I think he can sell it. I dunno . . . I have to say, I am looking forward to it. What audiences will think when they realise how much singing is in this film . . . that's another story.

Oh and actually seeing Alan Rickman as the Judge . . . that was pretty cool.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Saw the trailer... creepy as heck... and Depp sings. Women of the world rejoice.

Last edited:

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't recognize the song Depp was singing in the trailer. I don't think it really shows enough to tell how the movie will be, although I agree that Depp was pretty creepy. Alan Rickman also looks like he'll live up to potential.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think he makes a perfect Sweeney Todd.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The song I believe is after his first encounter with the judge once he has returned to town. What I liked was how he really threw himself into the singing. It bodes well. I think it should be quite good, but it is so hard to say, all the dialogue was basically from one scene, and I know they are scared to show the actors singing, but that is what I am the most curious about.

Though what's Wormtail doing in Victorian London?

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Personally, I think Alan Rickman would have made the greatest Sweeney Todd.

Johnny's too pretty.

I also would have accepted John C Reilly.