Gypped

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, the office holiday party just ended. We had a gift exchange--buy a $20 gift appropriate for general consumption, draw a number and pick a gift from the table, no ID of the giver mandatory. So I got a nice little desk trinket (one of those laser inscribed paperweights of an angel), which was nicely received. My number came up and I picked from the table of wrapped presents and couldn't believe what someone had given.

An empty jewelry box. No, I'm not talking the kind that you store jewelry in for either home or travel. That would be fine. No, I'm talking about an empty jewelry box to a fairly expensive pearl necklace & earring set that still had the price tag ($90) attached on the back.

Of course, whoever gave this didn't attach their name to it at all.

Can't escape the feeling that this was a gyp present. 90% of the people in attendance were physicians who should've been able to afford a lousy $20 present if all us mere clericals could, y'know?

Or am I just being over-sensitive?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
People are such God-damned cows. You are not being sensitive. The person who did this is an ass-hat and needs to be fitted for cement shoes.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But, was it a cultured pearl box?

Did you derive any pleasure from watching someone open your present? If so, was your $20 wasted even though you received a crap present?

By the way, a $90 necklace and earring set is a cheap-ass set of pearls. Gotta be for a Piece-On-The-Side. Maybe it was the P-O-T-S who gave the present...

Last edited:

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Geez, I hope you don't accidently start calling their wives by their girlfriends' names when they call around lunchtime, and go on to explain your confusion...what with the good doctors having already gone on to lunch with the other women and all, and did they want to meet up with them down at Chez Cheapskate, which is at 800 East Gypped By My Boss Boulevard?

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I once went to a gift exchange and received a punch bowl set -- I thought, neat. And then on closer examination the thing was cracked and two cups were missing.

Some people can be effin cheap.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
What a crock. You're not being overly sensitive, someone was an ass and you were accidently on the recieving end.

Do your best to blow it off though...karma will kick his ass down the road somewhere. :D

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I once went to a gift exchange and received a punch bowl set -- I thought, neat. And then on closer examination the thing was cracked and two cups were missing.

Some people can be effin cheap.

Well excuse the shit out of me. Next time, I hope you like my bread maker. It doesn't make bread, but it's a good place to keep the mail.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Someone made a huge issue here once about using the term "gypped," and how it was degrading to Gypsies. I can't remember who it was, though. Anyway, don't say I didn't warn everyone if he comes back and raises hell about this thread.

I come from Gypsies and I have no issue with it, so let's just let it rest...shall we.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
So what good is a toaster?

A toaster toasts the bread the bread maker makes. I can't friggin' believe I had to explain that. Oh...wait...what good is a toaster if you can't make bread? Oh. I see. I gotcha now. Well...I burn my mail in the toaster...naturally. Sadly, I do not have a paper shredder.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
A toaster toasts the bread the bread maker makes. I can't friggin' believe I had to explain that. Oh...wait...what good is a toaster if you can't make bread? Oh. I see. I gotcha now. Well...I burn my mail in the toaster...naturally. Sadly, I do not have a paper shredder.
So what does the woman do?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Man. That's weak.

It reminds me of a celebratory dinner we had for a work colleague once. It was at a steak restaurant. At the end of the meal, a friend of mine plunked down a buy-one-get-one-free coupon, said, "That's me covered; see ya!", and left.

It only amounted to fifteen bucks, but we all still remember it... more than ten years later. He's been known since then as having the deepest pockets and the shortest arms around.

Not really worth the fifteen bucks he saved.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I come from Gypsies and I have no issue with it, so let's just let it rest...shall we.
Now I remember who it was that complained about the term "gypped:" Some fellow named KTC, but he's not here anymore. Man, that guy had a BAD attitude...

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Dude, that sucks.

This year, the gift I picked off the table had a deck of UNO cards and a few candy canes. Friggin' UNO! Fortunately, a co-worker really wanted UNO and traded me for a box of chocolate truffles. Yummy.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Now I remember who it was that complained about the term "gypped:" Some fellow named KTC, but he's not here anymore. Man, that guy had a BAD attitude...

Yes...but he had it harder than I. I remember his encampment...I'm talking white trash, my friend. I was a gypsy...but I had class.