PDA

View Full Version : Best death scene

BruceJ
12-21-2007, 12:44 AM
III's thread on the best battle scene made me think of this, but what was the best, most realistic, death scene on the screen, in your opinion?

My vote's gotta be for Ben Hur, when Charleton Heston's nemesis was dying after getting trampled in the chariot race. Incredible performance!

Storyteller5
12-21-2007, 12:51 AM
The death scene I will never forget that bothered me most was the medic dying in Saving Private Ryan. It's not in the opening scene, but a little while in. He's coughing up blood and choking. It was very real to me and hit me harder than the mass carnage in the opening.

BruceJ
12-21-2007, 12:52 AM
The death scene I will never forget that bothered me most was the medic dying in Saving Private Ryan. It's not in the opening scene, but a little while in. He's coughing up blood and choking. It was very real to me and hit me harder than the mass carnage in the opening.
Ooh, good one. That movie's gotta have some contenders in it.

maestrowork
12-21-2007, 12:53 AM
SPOILER alerts please!!!

:)

Shadow_Ferret
12-21-2007, 12:55 AM
*Spoiler?*

Also from Saving Private Ryan and the reason i'll never watch it again, that scene where the coward doesn't help the guy and the German slowly pushes the knife into the guys heart and he knows he dying and he can't stop it and his face has that look of horror.... I can't even think about it.

*Spoiler*
I also like the scene in Underworld where Kate Beckinsale slices the master vampire and he stands there not knowing he's already dead, then a line appears on his face and half his head slides off.

*Maybe a Spoiler*
And the scene in the remake of 13 Ghosts where the lawyer gets cut in half by the glass doors and we don't know what happened until his tie falls off, then his front half slides down the glass and we see his rear half.

maestrowork
12-21-2007, 01:05 AM
I hate system crash...

Anyway:

SPOILER!!!

Lord of the Rings -
Boromir. It's the only death that really touched me. I guess it's because he's a flawed man, and the first to fall, and his death is redemptive. Also because of the honor and fellowship between him and Aragorn.

Alien 3 -
Ripley's death is the only good part of this atrocity.

Bladerunner -
Rugter Hauer's death scene is a classic.

Enemy Mine

zahra
12-21-2007, 01:09 AM
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE

I actually like the understated ones best. Springing to mind, Ratso's death in 'Midnight Cowboy'. The way you don't realise he's gone, and poor Man-Whore's bewilderment when he does.

Christopher Eccleston's in 'Let Him have It'. Awful. And another execution: John Hurt's in '10 Rillington Place', the way you see the hood over his head go in and out with his gasps of fear.

ChunkyC
12-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Qui-Gon's death in The Phantom Menace, because it's so unexpected.

Sophia
12-21-2007, 01:40 AM
The best for me is the, "It's only a flesh wound!" scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Yes, it's not realistic, but it's the almost-a-death scene that always jumps to my mind first.

maestrowork
12-21-2007, 01:43 AM
SPOILER

Deep Blue Sea -
Oh Mr. Jackson, how thy death is unexpected and hilarious.

kristie911
12-21-2007, 01:47 AM
SPOILER

Deep Blue Sea -
Oh Mr. Jackson, how thy death is unexpected and hilarious.

Classic! Love that scene. :D

**SPOILER**

The final scene in Gladiator, when both Joaquin and Russell die.

dolores haze
12-21-2007, 01:49 AM
*********SPOILER********

The death of Beth in "Breaking the Waves" was so unexpected and brutal. I saw it in a movie theatre with a bunch of super cool cynics, who never cried at movies. I was sobbing my heart out.
Emily Watson's performance in this film is just outstanding; high on my list of best acting performances ever.

Shadow_Ferret
12-21-2007, 01:50 AM
I think it was Stick with Burt Reynolds.

*Spoiler*
The bad guy has been trying to kill Burt and in the end he's hanging from a balcony of a highrise over a pool and he realizes he can't hold on any longer so he sort of pushes himself off into space and as he's falling he's shooting at Burt. Just a really great stunt scene. Later used in Die Hard but with CGI effects.

Miguelito
12-21-2007, 02:03 AM
Bladerunner -
Rugter Hauer's death scene is a classic.

This.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L8GD_e31L2I

Gravity
12-21-2007, 08:36 AM
The little mouse guy getting electrocuted in The Green Mile. :::shudder::: That man died rough.

triceretops
12-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Never kept my eyes open for the death/tortue of William Wallace in Braveheart. The most horrific and true account execution. My cheeks were wet after that and the scene has stayed with me for years.

Tri

andrewhollinger
12-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Bourne Ultimatum

****SPOILERS****

The bathroom fight scene between Bourne and Desh. I thought this scene was executed really well. The performances are believable, none of that fakey CGI or time slow down (Matrix). And in the end when Desh finally suffocates, the look on both men's faces is so real. They knew one was going to die and it was all out. No rules.

Gladiator

****SPOILERS****

When Commodus snuffs out Marcus Aurelius. That one was just brutal. The emotion they both showed was stunning.

maxmordon
12-21-2007, 09:50 AM
SPOILER!!!!!!!

Don Vito's death on The Godfather also the classical "getting off the rivals" sequence

Cassiopeia
12-21-2007, 09:51 AM
SPOILER!

Gladiator and Braveheart!

Albedo
12-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I second Roy Batty's death in Blade Runner. It was entirely ad-libbed as well, so I've heard. Rutger Hauer is an unrecognised genius. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

The best "holy shit!" death in any movie is in the boardroom scene in Robocop.

Toothpaste
12-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I guess I can mention this because it has been made into a movie, but I think Cyrano's final monologue before he dies in Cyrano de Bergerac is just gorgeous!

Inky
12-21-2007, 10:37 AM
SPOILER ALERT

To Live and Die In L.A.

Near the final scene: main character closes his locker, BAMM!!
Shot dead with shotgun. No frills. No last will and testament crap.
Just, dead. And, like death, sudden. Didn't see it coming.
Perfect.

I was going to say Boramir from LOTR--Ray stole that one from me...:)

JLCwrites
12-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Ok, first of all... I saw the name Rugter Hauer and my heart skipped a beat. LOVED him in Ladyhawk! DAMN he was sexy! (Fanning self)

Back to the OP...
Final scene in BIG FISH.

Inky
12-21-2007, 11:00 AM
LadyHawk?

*dashes over to Amazon....*

maxmordon
12-21-2007, 11:06 AM
*****SPOILER!!!!*****

Kevin Spacey's character in LA Confidential

DaddyCat
12-21-2007, 02:44 PM
* SPOILER * For "Dead Calm"

Billy Zane getting a flare to the mouth...

shakeysix
12-21-2007, 03:53 PM
butch and sundance: "did you see la fors out there?"
"no."
"then we're okay."

Bmwhtly
12-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Kevin Spacey's character in LA Confidential
That's what I was going to say!

So instead, I'll say V's death.

Elaine Margarett
12-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Both the book and the movie...The way they portray it through the victims POV...very powerful and disturbing.

It's stayed with me all these years.

EM

dolores haze
12-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Seconding Mr Goodbar, and adding Bonnie and Clyde.

PattiTheWicked
12-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Willem Dafoe, running out of the jungle as the chopper leaves him behind in Platoon.

andrewhollinger
12-21-2007, 05:42 PM
I completely forgot about Lucky Number Slevin

****SPOILERS****

The scene where Mr. Goodkat and Slevin have the Rabbi and the Boss duct taped to their chairs, and then the bags go over their heads.

Twisted, tragic, revenge. It's all there. Plus you get a brief glimpse into the characters as the Boss struggles to free himself as he dies, but the Rabbi just takes it.

ChunkyC
12-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Bourne Ultimatum

****SPOILERS****

The bathroom fight scene between Bourne and Desh. I thought this scene was executed really well. The performances are believable, none of that fakey CGI or time slow down (Matrix). And in the end when Desh finally suffocates, the look on both men's faces is so real. They knew one was going to die and it was all out. No rules.
Yes, a superbly staged fight scene. The only flaw was what's wrong with the entire movie: the herky-jerky camera work. You could barely make out what they were doing half the time.

maestrowork
12-21-2007, 08:45 PM
American Beauty

shakeysix
12-21-2007, 09:30 PM
"midnight in the garden of good and evil"--i was cheering!--s6

ChaosTitan
12-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Just a polite FYI: the SPOILER SPACE (definitely appreciated, thanks) is only useful if you mention the movie title first. Someone reading the post doesn't know if they'll be spoiled if they don't know what movie you're about to mention.

Don Allen
12-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Forget the religious factor for a moment, from an artistic stand point, Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ"

BruceJ
12-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Forget the religious factor for a moment, from an artistic stand point, Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ"
Ditto!

clockwork
12-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Spoiler

Leon in Leon or, for those whose countries decided that title was too Frenchy, The Professional.

maestrowork
12-22-2007, 08:43 AM
There are quite a few good scenes in Hot Fuzz. The gardening sheers were good, for example...

Cassiopeia
12-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Just a polite FYI: the SPOILER SPACE (definitely appreciated, thanks) is only useful if you mention the movie title first. Someone reading the post doesn't know if they'll be spoiled if they don't know what movie you're about to mention.But ..but ...:D

If they see the name of the film first...and the title of the thread is best death scene..it will give it away. So the thread title kinda ruins the effectiveness of saying the name of the movie first.

just sayin' :D

JoNightshade
12-22-2007, 09:04 AM
GATTACA (Spoiler)

The part where the MC's buddy in the wheelchair incinerates himself. Okay I don't think it's the best death scene EVER, but it really hit me because the first time I watched that movie, I didn't realize what had happened until the movie was over, I was going on to do something else, thinking about the movie... and then WHAM I was like, wait a minute, he killed himself!!! NO! I don't think it was supposed to be subtle because it seems obvious watching it again, but I guess I was just not expecting it for some reason.

maestrowork
12-22-2007, 09:04 AM
This whole thread is one giant spoiler anyway. Actually, this whole forum!

maestrowork
12-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Jaws

Spoiler

Quint's death is just marvelous. And then there's the boy on the raft. And then... so many to list!

katiemac
12-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Three from LOST, all within a couple episodes of each other in the third season. And more for what they meant than how they happened (although they were all pretty rough ways to go):

Highlight for SPOILERS. :)

The Brig -- Anthony Cooper/Tom Sawyer. Sawyer finally gets revenge on the man who killed his family.
The Man Behind the Curtain -- Ben puts on the gas mask in the van, then opens the container on his father in the driver's seat; simultaneous with the purge of the entire Dharma Initiative.
Through the Looking Glass -- Charlie Pace drowns, while Desmond watches, coupled with the Sharpie warning: "Not Penny's boat."

maxmordon
12-22-2007, 11:35 AM

Damn, you didn't say spoiler. How was I gonna know the end?

David Erlewine
12-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Great call, MaxM re LA Confidential.

SPOILER

"ROLLO TOMASI"

SPOILER

Three I recall impacting me a lot when I was young were "The Champ", "Brian's Song", and "Mask".

maestrowork
12-22-2007, 07:48 PM
SPOILER

La Vie En Rose

SPOILER

It's not really a death scene, but a revelation. The way Edith Piaf finds out her lover Marcel has just died in a plane crash.

LloydBrown
12-22-2007, 09:19 PM
...has just died in a plain crash.

As opposed to an unusual crash?

Anyway,

Vader. For that matter, all of the major character deaths in the original trilogy--I was so shocked at 9 years old seeing Obi-Wan die (not a spoiler at this point, folks), especially in such a curious way. Where did the body go? Yoda was good.

Liet-Kynes in Dune. The novel, not in any movie.

Patrick Swayze's character in Ghost was a good one.

I can think of a bunch that were noteworthy.

nevada
12-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Come on, I can't believe none of you have mentioned PeeWee Herman in Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Some of the best acting in history. :D

LloydBrown
12-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Yes! I love that one. I make a reference to it at least once a week. Seriously.

Aramis
12-22-2007, 10:57 PM
My top death scenes (SPOILERS for "Lord of the Rings," "Gladiator," "Star Wars," "Julius Caesar," and the Sherlock Holmes series... sort of.)

1. Brutus - Julius Caesar. I know, it's a classic, not something recent, but someone else mentioned Cyrano de Bergerac. This scene was, by the way, acted most superbly by James Mason.
2. Boromir - Lord of the Rings
3. Haldir - Lord of the Rings
4. Qui Gon - Star Wars
5. Maximus - Gladiator
6. Denethor - Lord of the Rings. I hated Denethor and was glad he died, but I loved the scene itself because he was so freaking insane, and I felt bad for Faramir. Pippin was awesome here, too.
7. Sherlock Holmes - mostly the Granada series with Jeremy Brett. So it was a series not a movie. So he didn't actually die. It was still moving.

ChaosTitan
12-23-2007, 04:13 AM
But ..but ...:D

If they see the name of the film first...and the title of the thread is best death scene..it will give it away. So the thread title kinda ruins the effectiveness of saying the name of the movie first.

just sayin' :D

All it really does is say that *someone* dies in the movie. Not who. I can put Jason X in this post, but that doesn't tell you who dies or how.

Just sayin'.