The Fountain

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Uh. What was that movie all about? I understood that Hugh Jackman looks so much better with hair, but the rest . . . ? Was the middle story what really happened / the old story what Izzy wrote in her book / the new age story what Tom imagined for the last chapter and the movie an amalgam of if they all came together? I'll give this to Aranofsky - he knows how to shoot a beautiful film. And I thought Pi was weird.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Are you going to write a thesis on it?

Seriously, I had no idea what the story was about. I kind of just turned it off halfway through.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't really start feeling like I'd just wandered into a Timothy Leary experiment until he started eating the damn tree

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Love and Loss and tragic doomed beauty ...

I saw it in the theater but need to rent it and see it again. It was beautiful but sad. I believe that the Conquistador story was in her book, yes, but my idea was (again, it's been a while) that in her book she was remembering their past lives together (whether she knew it conciously or not) ... So the Aztec/Tree of Immortality was both real life and her book ... I think.

The Aztec MYTH was real in a modern scientific way, right?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
For some reason the last part reminded me an R-rated (or at least PG13) version of The Little Prince. I think that the past was her book, the present is the reality and the future was... perhaps his subconcious?

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't a Rush song patterned after the same story? or vice versa?
I liked it.

WriterGirl2007

Black hole of writing...
Registered
Reaction score
I had no CLUE. I think it was about love through the view of someone on drugs?

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Rachel Weiz's character was writing the book in order to deal with her own death. She used it to come to terms with her own mortality. In the research and writing of her book she comes to believe that maybe the Aztecs are right.

Hugh Jackman's character had to learn to deal with the inevitability of his wife's death. He was able to when Rachel left him the last chapter of the novel to write.

The whole movie was about learning how to cope about the death of a loved one. At least that's what I got out of it. If it has some sort of deeper meaning than that I don't know.