6 Hours in the ER

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Fortunately I wasn't the patient! After announcing to my coworkers that I had gotten an agent, one of them offered to buy me lunch if she could pick my brain about being a novelist. I was in the office today so we decided to go out.

Halfway through lunch, I ask her a pretty basic question and she looks at me like she can't figure out how to answer. She's like, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry... I haven't slept in four days." I thought she was about to break down crying and I'm thinking, oh man, is she having some personal problems?

Well, it just gets stranger. She gets more disoriented and finally says she is really sick and needs to go. She wanted to pay for lunch but she couldn't even coordinate enough to get her wallet out of her purse. Finally I said, "You stay here, I'll pay, and I'm taking you to the ER." Then suddenly she can barely walk so I had to sprint four blocks and park the car in the red. At this point I'm thinking, she's having a stroke.

On the way, I asked her all sorts of questions to make sure I knew what was going on, and it was a good thing I did because by the time we got to the ER, she was completely out of it and unable to answer questions. I had to tell like 3 doctors the whole story. She was crying and sobbing and then suddenly would be laughing at something stupid.

So yeah, six hours of tests later (including a CT scan, which was cool), it turns out she is seriously dehydrated, has a severe urinary tract infection, and some sort of bizarre blood infection.

At this point she's well enough that they let me drive her home, and so she's giving me directions. Finally we get to her house and she gets out. I wait to make sure she gets inside... but she stands in front of the door for a minute and then comes back to the car and says, "This is not my house."

I feel really bad for her. Something is seriously wrong and I hope the doctors figured it all out. Anyways. This has been a really bizarre day!!

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she gets better soon.

So yeah, six hours of tests later (including a CT scan, which was cool), it turns out she is seriously dehydrated, has a severe urinary tract infection, and some sort of bizarre blood infection.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Wow, what a day! I do hope your friend is ok. You must have been a nervous wreck during all of this. What weird symptoms to have. She must have really been dehydrated or something. The blood thing does not sound too good. I bet this wasn't how you planned to spend the day celebrating your new happiness in landing an agent.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poor thing. I gather she finally figured out where home was. Though it still sounds like the doctors let her go home too soon.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
You must have been a nervous wreck during all of this.

You know what? I totally wasn't. I've come to the conclusion that this is clearly part of God's purpose for my life. ;) I'm not even kidding. I have very few close friends, but I always end up being there whenever someone I know is having a crisis. Or someone I don't know. In the past, oh, 5 years, I have:

- Had someone collapse on me and had to call them an ambulance
- Talked some homeless woman down from suicide
- Talked my friend's little brother down from suicide
- Helped a friend turn in her dad for beating her mom

There's other stuff but that's all I can remember at the moment. The point is, when something like this happens, I am no longer at all surprised. ;)

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
And I'm sure you weren't pestering all the doctors and nurses to put her on Morphine so you could study the effects. C'mon Jo, we weren't born yesterday.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
When my blood sugar drops...and it does from time to time if I don't eat regularly, I have a very difficult time communicating or walking. I can't make decisions and I most certainly start shutting down.

You might suggest to her to have them check to see if she has low blood sugar. It's a simple thing to miss.

I hope she gets better soon.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
And I'm sure you weren't pestering all the doctors and nurses to put her on Morphine so you could study the effects. C'mon Jo, we weren't born yesterday.

::Jo hangs head in shame::

I can't believe you caught me, and I can't believe I have to admit you were right.

I wasn't pestering any doctors, but they thought she might be having a weird migraine so they injected her with something. As soon as the nurse left the room I started quizzing her on what she was feeling, but unfortunately she wasn't coherent enough to make the info worthwhile. Sigh.

I did get to see the CT machine, though. But they wouldn't let me stay in while they did the scanning.

Am I evil?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm not having lunch with you, Jo. Ever.

(you did good -- glad you were there to help and I hope your colleague is going to get better)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
::Jo hangs head in shame::

I can't believe you caught me, and I can't believe I have to admit you were right.

I wasn't pestering any doctors, but they thought she might be having a weird migraine so they injected her with something. As soon as the nurse left the room I started quizzing her on what she was feeling, but unfortunately she wasn't coherent enough to make the info worthwhile. Sigh.

I did get to see the CT machine, though. But they wouldn't let me stay in while they did the scanning.

Am I evil?

But most importantly, what about the machine that goes *ping!*?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thank God a friend was with her to help her through her disastrous day. Kudos to you.

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
I hope she's back to normal soon. Sounds like you were a great friend to have there and did all the right things. Not everyone would have been so decisive and clear-headed.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I plan on eating lunch with you daily. You know, for just in case?

Maryn, thinking she's lucky to have had you there

ShebaJones

I post in the nude.
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa! Thank goodness you were there, Jo.

I'm trying imagine what my friends would do if I was exhibiting signs of weirdness (more than usual), and I'm coming up blank. I'd like to think they'd take me to the ER.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
The scary part is that an IV of fluids didn't help her confusion level when you got her home later.

"Confusion is sometimes the only symptom of a UTI in the elderly."

Dehydration and UTI's are like that, but there may be something else going on. Why did they send her home?