Questions about Tarot cards and past life

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sara, Carole,
I couldn't find the pagan board, but I'm needing advice on this for my wip.

Would a tarot card reader give a past life regression before or after he lays out the cards,if it's coming through so strong?

How many cards would he lay out? And would he add more as he speaks, how many?

How would he align them? Touch them?

He is still called a psychic or reader?

Just easy info for the reader, I guess is needed.

Big thanks.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Sara, Carole,
I couldn't find the pagan board, but I'm needing advice on this for my wip.

Would a tarot card reader give a past life regression before or after he lays out the cards,if it's coming through so strong? What do you mean by past life regression? A guided meditation or through the cards? That would change the answer.

How many cards would he lay out? And would he add more as he speaks, how many? There are lots and lots of different layouts. The easiest is Past-Present-Future which is three cards in a row. A popular, more complicated, one is the Celtic Cross Spread. I would explain it here, but it wouldn't make much sense. Try Googling it to find images. It makes a lot more sense visually.

How would he align them? Touch them? Alignment is the spread. As for touching...you touch them like you do any card. Some Tarot readers have the querent (the asker) touch the cards, some don't let anyone touch their card. It's kind of a personal preference thing.

He is still called a psychic or reader? Depends on what else he does. Some psychics will read auras, palms, and cards. In my experience, people who focus on one are usually better, so if he wanted to be perceived as good, he might just be a card reader.

Just easy info for the reader, I guess is needed.

Big thanks.

Hope I helped some! Others will probably come in with information, too.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Big Thanks Reenkam, now if the reader was telling about a past life regression would they do a Celtic Cross. Could I say The reader touched the cards laying or is it lying on his table. argh, anywho, Celtic Cross good for telling about past life ?(grin)

thank you

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Hm. Well, the Celtic Cross spread is more of a "what's happening in my life in general" layout. People usually use tarot cards for present or future situations, though past life isn't out of the question. Personally, I don't know too much about that, though. Someone else who comes in might, though.

But, there's also the option of being able to make up your own spread. Experienced card readers do that often. They set up something that works for them in a certain situation, such as past life readings. Then they use that layout for those readings. It's possible that your character could do something like that.

The common process (at least for me) would be to shuffle the cards, have the person hold them as they ask their question, then to lay them down, face down. Then I go to each spot and flip the card and explain the meaning in the context of the spot. Sometimes I ask for the question before hand, sometimes I don't.

And for the lay/lie...I think it's lay, but you might want to check that one lol

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, I see, thanks, you've helped! :)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read the tarot since 1979 (on and off professionally) and in all that time, I can't honestly say that I've run into the situation you're describing. While there is the occasional reference to a past life, I most times don't mention them because most people don't want to hear about what happened in some distant lifetime. They're worried about this life's bills, relationships, job, economy, etc. If most people want to know what happened in a past life, they go to a hypnotist.

I worked with one reader in days gone by who did a karmic tarot reading. It took about two hours and few people were willing to pay for such an extensive reading (in the 80's, it cost about $100 when the average tarot reading was about $30), and it dealt with what karma you were dealing with in this life from past lives, but she didn't get deeply into what those lives were. She explained the spread to me (she'd created it or gotten it from her grandmother, who created it) and it used all 78 cards in the deck, but I don't remember the details of it very well. It was very inter-relational between points and reminded me too much of figuring aspects in astrology with lots of angles and math stuff that messes with my mind. Still that was focused on karma, not the actual past lives so I don't know if that's helpful to you.

The one time I had a past life reading done, while the lady did read tarot, the past life reading was an entirely psychic reading--all she did was hold my hand as she went into her trance. (It was highly unsatisfactory, FWIW. Did NOT recommend her to my psychic-clientele friends.) I've had the past-life regression done by a couple of hypnotists but, again, it was unrelated to a tarot reading.

I don't see why a reader needs to be limited to a single device, however. Depending on what the querent is interested (and may be willing to pay for, if it's a professional transaction) or the reader is willing to do for the querent (always a consideration), a reader could use as many of their skills and talents as desired. Just, honestly, finding someone with that many skills and talents would be the trick, IMHO.

As far as your question about touching cards, I vary on that, depending on the reading. After shuffling the deck myself a bit, I have the querent shuffle their question into the cards and then take them back and deal them out. I've created my own spreads, sometimes on the fly for just that one question, some have become standards for me. I really detest the Celtic Cross because I think its format doesn't give enough information, but when I pick up the deck, sometimes the correct spread is the Celtic Cross. Every reading is different and part of the talent of reading is knowing what spread to use for that reading. Whether or not I touch the cards during the reading depends, actually, on how well the querent is focusing on what I'm saying and if I want to make any kind of impact by pointing out or picking up a card. Occasionally, I've had querents who've touched cards I was discussing during the reading.

Now, beyond all that, the biggest point to remember is: Nothing in a tarot reading is really set in stone once the cards are shuffled and laid out. It's like any other conversation--it goes where it goes how it gets there.

Depending on the gifts of your reader character, you're pretty much free to do what you want as long as you explain it well enough that the people reading the story can buy into it.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
past life regression

and tarot read are two different things. the tarot can read for immediate past--maybe as far back as years but never into another lifetime. you can visit a psychic who can give you a past life read, that is one who can look into previous lifetimes. or you can visit a psychic who can tell you what past experiences in this lifetime are influencing behaviors now.

there is a kind of certification that an honest to goodness psychic will have. a better business kind of endorsement. they differ from state to state. if you want to have a phone visit or e-mail a psychic who can do a past life regression pm me and i will give you our family psychic's name. she is good and a very down to earth person but she never leaves oklahoma--s6

Last edited:

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Hey Kimmi! Just wanted to add my nickel's worth. I've been reading Tarot for about twenty years, and have occasionally done so professionally for the last five or so.

Generally, past life regression is something completely separate from a Tarot reading. While there are some readers who "specialize" in past life readings, most readers offer guidance to people who are having issues in their current situation.

Would a tarot card reader give a past life regression before or after he lays out the cards,if it's coming through so strong?

These all depend on the reader. When I do a reading for someone -- and again, this is just for a regular reading, not a past life regression -- the number of cards I lay out depends on how much time they're willing to pay for. Someone who wants a half hour reading, I can spend much more time on more cards, so I would use a larger, more detailed, spread. If someone only wants a ten minute reading, I might condense things into a 5 - 7 card spread. Typically, I lay all the cards out, and then review them individually, tying them in to how they relate to one another.

Kimmi said:

Again, depends on the reader.

Kimmi said:

People who work with Tarot cards tend to fall into two categories. There are "readers", who are people that give you the traditional, by the book definitions of each card. They know exactly what each of them means, whether it's right side up or reversed, and they can tell you down to the bare details exactly what every one of those cards in your spread means to you. Then there are people like me, who are "intuitive". I tend to not use the word psychic because I'm not sure it's accurate in my case. An intiutive reader knows the meanings of the cards as well, but also looks at a card and gets a visual or mental image of how that card applies in your life. I might flip over The Empress and say, "Oh, who in your life is pregnant?", because I know darn well someone is. Intuitive readers generally see the "whole picture". People who do past-life readings tend to be more intuitive than just "readers", if that makes sense. That's not to say one type of Tarot reader is better than the other, just that there are different styles of reading.

Hope this helps a little, and I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes thank-you Patti.

Would I describe the reader to my readers as an Intuitive? And yes he is only giving a life regression. For ms writing, which name would be best.? I don't want to confuse the reader...

hugs and ETA: Thanks Shakey!

Last edited:

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Would I describe the reader to my readers as an Intuitive? And yes he is only giving a life regression. For ms writing, which name would be best.? I don't want to confuse the reader...

Either psychic or intuitive would work fine, in my opinion. On the other hand, he could just be a reader who specializes in past life regressions.

Another option is that people interested in past lives can be hypnotized or do a guided meditation session to journey back. Does your character have to use cards, or would one of these be an option?

LIVIN

Registered
Reaction score
This is a timely thread.

I just wrote a scene in a script where there is an Osho Zen Tarot Celtic Cross reading. By golly, whaddaya know. I think I managed pretty well, given my somewhat limited knowledge. Of course, I think a script allows me more ways to circumvent all the details that would be required in say, a novel.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Either psychic or intuitive would work fine, in my opinion. On the other hand, he could just be a reader who specializes in past life regressions.

Another option is that people interested in past lives can be hypnotized or do a guided meditation session to journey back. Does your character have to use cards, or would one of these be an option?
Thanks, Patti. Actually, the reader brings it up, mc is not expecting more than a general card reading, but reader feels compelled to tell this. I think I've worked it out. I'm really limited in words as it's a short story.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Each card in a tarot deck has multiple meanings; usually it'll have several for when it's upright and several more for when it's reversed. In addition to those standard meanings, each deck may have slightly altered or entirely new meanings for some of its cards, and certain readers who have used the same deck for a long time will ascribe meanings all their own.

For example:
I have a deck called "Tarot of the Cat People". It's not a deck that I actually use. For 10 swords upright, it says:
Vigilance. Agility. Spying. A discreet person. An active youth. A lithe figure. This card symbolizes a percen adept at percieving... <SNIP>

Then for reverse meanings, it says:
An imposter revealed. Illness is also possible. Powerlessness in the face of stronger forces...<SNIP>

Other decks define this card in similar, yet different terms.

In my personal experience, every time in the last two years that I've used my Robin Wood deck, and the 10 of swords has come up, someone has died. I've predicted four deaths in my friends' immediate families and two in my own. I actually called my father and told him to go and call his own father. To tell him that he loved him and get things in order, because I was worried that grandpa was going to pass away sometime within the next two years. A year and a half later, he did.

So how do you know the meaning of the cards? That's due to the spread and the relationships between the cards. People often create their own spreads, and so these meanings can vary.

Another thing to consider is that someone who specialized in past life regression may not use a standard tarot deck, as this isn't tarot's specialty. They may have actually created their own deck. In this case, the cards, meanings, layout, and technique would all likely be unique to that particular reader.

That may be the best way to go. If, for instance, someone who owned the Tarot of the Cat People were reading your book, and you had 10 swords representing death, the person who owned the Tarot of the Cat People may scoff and say, "That's not what that means!" With so many meanings for each card, and those meanings being affected by so many things (specific deck, reader, questioner, card position, ect), your best bet may be to invent an entirely new deck.

If you want to invent a new deck, then research the basic meanings of the tarot. The tarot has four basic suits, one representing each element. These four also represent the four different directions. They go from one to ten, and these can basically be described as a journey. Ones are often beginnings, tens are often culminations. After one-ten, you have Page, Knight, Queen, King. These can represent people. Pages often represent messages. They are often youths. Knights can be the coming or going of a matter. They are often older, but not yet fully mature. Queens and Kings are very representative of the values particular to their suit.

Then you have the Major Arcana. They also go on a journey, from 0 The Fool, which I was taught was "The Uninitiated Soul", to 21 The World, which I personally think of as "All the Good Things in the World". These Major Arcana are the heavy-hitters of the deck. They can deal with Karma, the Gods, things out of the questioners control. They are the Forces that Be.

If you design your own deck with these things in mind (you'll need to do some more research; I only hit on the very basics) then your deck will ring true to those who know the tarot.

Then design your tarot reader, layout, and questioner in such a way that the audience can almost "see" what the cards are saying.

That would be my advice, as obtuse as it is. :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Monkey!
I'm rolling now, look above guys. Mac did you post that banner ad special for this thread!!! Strange...:grin:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Past life regression is really a totally different thing to tarot. It is possible a very ecclectic occult-slash-new age psychic might do both--but I am having trouble imagining it.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score

A past life regression is done with the person regressing through a series of guided relaxation techniques in a quiet place. You don't need to read cards to do it, you do need to know how to guide without leading so the person regressing has a safe unstressed journey. Tarot readings may give indications of things/ sensations/ abilties from a past life but you don't use them for regressions. The guide needs to be able to help the person keep the now separate from the then, as well as to incorporate specific changes, and let go of patterns. A bad regression can be terrifying, a good one can be life-changing.

Card readings can be done with any deck, standard-club-diamond-spade-heart, a Rider-Waite, Fairy Tarot, I use Tarot of the Cat People--it's all what you're connected too, what resonates best.

I usually shuffle the cards thrice, then give them to the querant to divide into 3 piles, shuffle each pile, make 1 stack then I lay them out. Standard could be a cross, a circle, I use what I call a heron layout of 12 cards-3 each head, neck, body, tail. If they feel incomplete I'll do 3 more as a foundation--for the future. Touch r not depends on the reader. Cards are usually kept stored in natural fabric: leather, cotton, silk or wool. They are not used for any tig else, nor are they given to another to touch without cleansing afterwards.

Yes, but again, you don't use cards for regressions.