I did the right thing, right? RIGHT?!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On another forum (not here), I saw a notice about somebody's book signing. I had to send them a link to the Internet Movie Database because the book is too similar to a movie that came out about six years ago. No judgment, no finger pointing. No squeals of "OOOO! YER GONNA GIT IT!" Just the link.

And now I feel like sh1t.

Mostly because I have no idea how they're going to take it, partially because I really don't want to pee in the punchbowl.

Last edited:

ofriv

Professore de la Rapscillion
Registered
Reaction score
And that wasn't good enough, so you thought you might just ralph out a confession on Office Party. Dude - you are soo compassionate!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I think you did the right thing. That person might get pissy, but at least he will have time to figure out how his book is different from the movie before someone asks him about it.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Maybe your note should have gone to the editors and publishers. They are the gatekeepers. If the author's already at the booksigning, that horse is already out of the corral.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
You gave good advice, as you have a keen eye for detail. You did what's best for another, and as said above, it's a compassionate thing to do. No need to worry. You did your part. :Hug2:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The wording and tone of your note is important when judging this ghastly deed. Did you sound accusatory? Condescending? Judgmental? Did you, or did you not, come across like a raving lunatic?!

Why don't you post a copy of your missive here and let us be the judge and executioner of this most woeful act you have committed? Come on, let's see it!

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe your note should have gone to the editors and publishers. They are the gatekeepers. If the author's already at the booksigning, that horse is already out of the corral.
Might not help. It's a self-pub through Lulu.

The wording and tone of your note is important when judging this ghastly deed. Did you sound accusatory? Condescending? Judgmental? Did you, or did you not, come across like a raving lunatic?!

Why don't you post a copy of your missive here and let us be the judge and executioner of this most woeful act you have committed? Come on, let's see it!
Subject: Have you considered this?
Then I just copied and pasted a direct link to the movie info. Nothing else, not even a signature.

Kinda harsh?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Subject: Have you considered this?
Then I just copied and pasted a direct link to the movie info. Nothing else, not even a signature.

Kinda harsh?
Oh, Ben. It's worse than I thought. Impersonal. Ambiguous. Not a shred of feeling imparted to the writer.

It's a good thing you have this place to confess your sins. I, for one, forgive you. Your penance should be to give ten rep points randomly to members who are undeserving. The rest is up to you. And good luck in your search for full redemption...

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Ben, I understand what you did and why you did it and why you feel like a shit heel for having done it. In the long run, consider this; the person may or may not care, the person may or may not get crucified for it, but if he/she does, you won't be standing on the sidelines going, why didn't I just say something to the poor sod?

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ben, I understand what you did and why you did it and why you feel like a shit heel for having done it. In the long run, consider this; the person may or may not care, the person may or may not get crucified for it, but if he/she does, you won't be standing on the sidelines going, why didn't I just say something to the poor sod?
Plus somebody else mentioned I'm doing them a favor in the long run. If I noticed it, somebody with a big lawyer might, too.

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. You shouldn't feel bad because either way, you haven't done any harm.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Might not help. It's a self-pub through Lulu.
UPDATE:
I went over to Lulu and they have a "report" flag on the book's page and one of the options is possible copyright infringement, so I sent them a report.

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
lol, why? Is it something that obscure?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sooooo, it wasn't The Bourne Ultimatum, was it?:tongue

Perhaps the plot is similar, but the execution is different. If so, it may not be a problem. Look at the kiddie movies Cars and Surf's Up. The plots are identical, the cast is, character-for-character the same right down to the idiotic best friend the protagonist throws the final competition too. Yet I didn't hear about any lawsuits.