When writing a sequel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zixi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gayleckrause.com
...how much detail is usually given about the first book? And, is the reference to the first book usually placed in the first chapter of the second?

I understand it has to be enough for the reader who missed the first book to pick up the story where it starts in the second book, but am I looking at general references or detailed references?

Thanks.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
...how much detail is usually given about the first book? And, is the reference to the first book usually placed in the first chapter of the second?

I understand it has to be enough for the reader who missed the first book to pick up the story where it starts in the second book, but am I looking at general references or detailed references?

Thanks.
My current sequel is heavily dependent on the first novel. So I have lots of references to the first one. I try to make sure that if someone were picking up the 2nd novel, they could still understand what's going on.

How much detail = enough to understand the 2nd novel and any consequences from the 1st. It doesn't have to be a big explanation at the front. They should be blended into the narrative when it's appropriate for the POV character to be bringing them up. Don't be like the Babysitter's Club or Sweet Valley High books where everything is explained from the previous novels for several pages of the first chapter. I always skipped that as a MG/YAer, even if I had missed earlier books in the series.

mara_jade3

Broken Pixie
Registered
Reaction score
Well, mine somewhat brings into play what happened in the previous novel because I pick up right where the first left off. Any other information is going to be blended in moderation with the story. I don't want to force it. I also am writing it where I expect the reader to have knowledge of what happened in the first, but I feel enough is explained to keep the reader's interest. I guess it just depends. Do you want the reader to read them both in order? Me, I want both to be read. Perhaps it's dependant on what works best for your novel.

Danthia

Stick to the same rules as a stand-alone novel, with a little leeway. You want the scenes to be clear and understandable by anyone who picks the book up, but you don't need to go deep into backstory or description if it's something you've established. Just use whatever details and history are needed to understand what's going on. If there was a war, let them know, but they don't need a mini-synoppisis of book one. Treat the first book like character backstory.

Tamora Piece does this well in her books actually. I picked up "First Test" a few weeks back, and she kept talking about the "Immortal Wars" like I should know about it. It didn't make the story less clear for me, but it did make me think there was another series I'd missed. Sure enough, there was a whole quartet, plus another quarter that took place before that, all in the same world. She referenced all eight of them in "First Test," and now I'm going back to catch up before I move on the new series. I don't need to read them to understand the story, but I think it'll be more fun to know the history.

Or, you can do what Holly Lisele did in her sacred Text series. She added a synopsis of previous books in the opening pages. I found this quite helpful to refresh my memory before reading the next book. (This would be a publishing choice though, not a writing one)

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
I've had to do this a few times now, and every time, I find myself providing less backstory. Though it was fun trying to summarize the first goblin book in the form of a song for book two :) (A filk friend actually did a recording of that song, which was much fun.)

A friend pointed out that even in the very first novel, these characters have histories and backgrounds. When that background is important to the story, the author works it in. When you're writing a sequel, I think you're basically doing the same thing. If something from the first book becomes relevant, work that info into the book.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
When I work on my two YA series (for which I hope to find a publisher someday; meanwhile, they're darn fun to write), I've given myself the challenge of summing up any backstory in two paragraphs or less. Otherwise I end up with horrible, brain-sucking info dumps. I'll also occasionally work backstory into a conversation between characters, like "How can Kaylie treat us like crap after we saved her from being possessed by that demon a couple weeks ago?"

Viral

Incoherant author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shiresu.net
I think the author of Pendragon does it very well (DJ MacHale). He "gives enough information so new readers can jump in at any time, but doesn't have so much that it would bore old readers."

GirlLit

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Danthia. Include what’s necessary to understand Book 2, but make sure the sequel can stand alone. Personally, I had a hard time writing the second book in my series purely because of this issue. I felt I was boring myself by mentioning any backstory. But I did my best to thread the info throughout the book where it made sense. Also, I asked my agent’s assistant read Book Two and offer comments. She had not read book one and she thought the story worked on its own. That's your biggest test. Find someone to read the sequel cold.

Best,
Diana Rodriguez Wallach

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Two words: beta readers.

Have at least two, one who HAS read the first book and one who HASN'T. The first one can tell you if the worked-in background is boring for those who read book I, and the second one can tell you if there's not enough background for those who didn't.

I think that as authors, we can get too close to the work to see clearly one way or the other. It's as easy for us to put in too much as too little. For me, this is one place (amongst many!) where beta readers really are worth their weight in gold.

When one of the people to whom book II of my series was dedicated read it without having read book I told me that she had no trouble following it, I was so pleased. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Two words: beta readers.

Have at least two, one who HAS read the first book and one who HASN'T. The first one can tell you if the worked-in background is boring for those who read book I, and the second one can tell you if there's not enough background for those who didn't.

I think that as authors, we can get too close to the work to see clearly one way or the other. It's as easy for us to put in too much as too little. For me, this is one place (amongst many!) where beta readers really are worth their weight in gold.

When one of the people to whom book II of my series was dedicated read it without having read book I told me that she had no trouble following it, I was so pleased. :)
Yes the two types of betas are very helpful for sequels. I recently finished a sequel, and one of my first two betas had read the original, while the other hadn't. It was very helpful to get it from the perspective of the one who knew the full history vs. the one who didn't, and to find out that only one thing wasn't explained enough from the first book to the second (it was an explanation that was cut during tightening and I had forgotten to put in elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.