PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit

Voyager
12-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Yay!

Academy Award(R)-Winner Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema Join With MGM to Produce 'The Hobbit,' Eagerly-Anticipated Fantasy ... (http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/LATU07218122007-1.htm)

C.bronco
12-18-2007, 10:48 PM
EXcellent!

Toothpaste
12-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Well it all sounds promising, but producing isn't the same as directing, and I always get suspicious when people advertise any project with something like "produced by Peter Jackson, director of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. . ." Still I have my fingers crossed for this one!

ChunkyC
12-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Cool!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Best news all day.

Shadow_Ferret
12-18-2007, 11:09 PM
And a sequel to the Hobbit? I thought LOTR was the sequel.

ChunkyC
12-18-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm wondering about that too. There are other books, like The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and The Silmarillion, but none I could find in a quick google that appear to be a direct sequel to The Hobbit.

Voyager
12-18-2007, 11:31 PM
I have everything Tolk ever wrote, including all 12 Volumes of the History of Middle Earth. They could be getting material from The Treason of Isengard, The Return of the Shadow, The War of the Ring.

Hi, my name is Jes, and I'm a Humongerific geek :D

ChaosTitan
12-18-2007, 11:33 PM
I am so glad that Peter and Fran are doing these films. I can't imagine anyone else, not after what they did with the LOTR trilogy.

:D :D :D

Bartholomew
12-18-2007, 11:35 PM
WOOT!

III
12-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Very cool. Can't wait.

Voyager
12-18-2007, 11:41 PM
I feel a celebratory Christmas day LoTR marathon extravaganza coming on! I want to go to NZ!

Sheryl Nantus
12-18-2007, 11:44 PM
best bit of news I've heard this ENTIRE year.

2007 may yet be salvagable...

Simple Living
12-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Most excellent!

It just stinks that we have to wait until 2010 and 2011 to see them.

dpaterso
12-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Oddly enough the thought that ran through my head was:

So what are they going to change for the worse THIS time?!

Nope, I don't trust 'em to deliver what was in the book. They'll screw something up for no good reason other than to fit their "vision."

Issues, moi?

-Derek

Voyager
12-19-2007, 12:20 AM
As long as Orlando doesn't play Thranduil, I can cope...I think

jamiehall
12-19-2007, 12:22 AM
This is really, really cool. I was waiting for these rumors to become true.

As to the sequel, it is possibly going to be material derived from other Tolkien works, or it could instead be a shared-world kind of thing that is new but written in the same setting, or it might be that "The Hobbit" itself is going to be two movies (getting more money at the theater by releasing the halves separately).

HeronW
12-19-2007, 12:28 AM
After cringing over Ralph Bakshi's 'Hobbit', I'm looking forward to this take.

Straka
12-19-2007, 03:12 AM
I was wondering, how are they going to make 2 movies on the hobbit? Granted its been a while since a read it.

melaniehoo
12-19-2007, 03:20 AM
As long as Orlando doesn't play Thranduil, I can cope...I think

But can they keep Viggo?

My-Immortal
12-19-2007, 03:42 AM
I've heard that there was some consideration to do:

a) Add material into The Hobbit so that it could be made into two parts. I suppose if you want to 'extend' pretty much all the action/battle scenes in the book that 'could' make up enough material to make two movies.

or

b) The Hobbit would be one movie and the second movie would be a 'bridging' type movie that included characters from both The Hobbit and LOTR - Viggo/Orlando etc. and have some more of the corruption of Saruman/Denethor etc.

I don't know if any or all of this is true - but these are things I've heard/read....

I'm just happy that it will be made. I can't wait.

childeroland
12-19-2007, 03:43 AM
The first will be 'Hobbit,' the second a connecting story to LOTR, perhaps something from Silmarillion (sic?)

I was wondering, how are they going to make 2 movies on the hobbit? Granted its been a while since a read it.

Voyager
12-19-2007, 04:59 AM
Sorry, Mel. There are no Russian bath houses in Middle Earth

But can they keep Viggo?

Voyager
12-19-2007, 05:04 AM
Yeah, the three books that I mentioned earlier, especially the Treason of Isengard, deal with the period between The Hobbit and LoTR, so its not like they'll have to make anything up.

Aramis
12-19-2007, 07:03 AM
1) *squeal*
2) Maybe they can divide the Hobbit in half somehow instead of making the Hobbit and "something else."
3) It'd be awesome if Legolas had a cameo lurking around his Dad's palace or something.
4) If anyone else's seen the old cartoon version of the Hobbit, you'll understand when I say... Peter had better purge those scary images from my head.
5) More Squealing

Toothpaste
12-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Okay yeah but . . . who is directing? I'm getting the impression that it won't be my beloved Peter, that he's just producing, and that makes a huge difference. Do we have any word on who may be attached to direct?

John Paton
12-19-2007, 09:53 AM
I much preferred the Hobbit as a read than LOTR.

There was a money dispute between New Line and PJ so much so that Bob Shay said they would never work with him again because how much money does one guy need !! He seemed quite adamant at the time. Hmmmmm - interesting they put it behind them but it was a big deal at the time.

Who will write the screenplay?? Who will direct it ?? Where will it be filmed ?? New Zealand again ?? Where is the detail ?? Will Weta Digital produce the special effects again ??

New Line and PJ getting in bed together again. Who woulda figured those odds !!

kristin724
12-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Sweet. Will definately be interesting to see how things come about. I hate watching LOTR when its on full screen with commericals on TNT, but I ended up watching while I was editing on my laptop. When I was ready to look away or change the channel, my dad would stop me, "Hey! I like this part!" But of course, then I'd do the same. Why can't they just show the widescreen? It could be a week long event if they showed the extended editions!

Voyager
12-19-2007, 04:46 PM
New Line and MGM hold the feature rights to the Hobbit. If they were willing to have anyone else direct it, they would have found another director long ago. Lucas offered and I'm sure they had others queueing up to do it. Jackson has always been listed on the production roster as the director, even when Robert Shaye said hell would freeze over before Jackson directed. I really can't see anyone else doing it. I know a lot of people had complaints, but I think Jackson did a wonderful job, even though I'll never forgive him for making Legolas a girlyelf. ducking

Okay yeah but . . . who is directing? I'm getting the impression that it won't be my beloved Peter, that he's just producing, and that makes a huge difference. Do we have any word on who may be attached to direct?

Voyager
12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Crap! You were right, Toofs.

Jackson is not directing or writing the movies, but will executive produce with partner Fran Walsh. New Line will manage production.

Jackson decided not to take on writing and directing roles because with his other commitments, he figured that he would not be able to complete the Hobbit films until around 2015. Jackson didn't want to keep the Hobbit fan base waiting that long, and New Line and MGM knew that if they moved ahead on the project without Jackson's involvement, they risked alienating fans. As executive producer, Jackson will have approval over creative elements of both films.

Here's the link but I don't think you can access it without a password.

http://pro.imdb.com/news/hwr/2007-12-19/frontpage/6

ChunkyC
12-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Interesting. If Jackson does oversee everything, it should dovetail nicely with LotR. Keep in mind that there were sometimes as many as six crews at work simultaneously when filming LotR. Jackson was only directing one of the crews, there were five other assistant directors heading the other crews. If Jackson picks a director for the Hobbit in the same way he picked the Lotr assistant directors, I don't see any major problems. Unless, of course, he picks someone who isn't willing to defer to him when he wants something done a particular way.

Sweet. Will definately be interesting to see how things come about. I hate watching LOTR when its on full screen with commericals on TNT, but I ended up watching while I was editing on my laptop. When I was ready to look away or change the channel, my dad would stop me, "Hey! I like this part!" But of course, then I'd do the same. Why can't they just show the widescreen? It could be a week long event if they showed the extended editions!
This is why I always buy widescreen DVDs. :D

Toothpaste
12-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Pity they had to return the location of the shire back to normal. I wonder if that farmer will be willing to let them use it again? And it's a good thing that Pete will have creative control, sounds good . . . just really want to know who's going to direct it!

Personally, as much as I love the Hobbit, I am way more excited about Peter directing His Majesty's Dragon (I know, he's only just bought the rights, but still . . . ).

(Hobbit question, you think Andy Serkis would return?)

Nateskate
12-20-2007, 09:52 PM
I had speculated that they would go for two movies, and likely would glean from the appendix (s) to stretch the movie.

You have Aragorn helping Gandalf searching for Gollum. Plus Aragorn secretly fighting for Gondor many years before. You have Rhadagast the brown and Gandalf and Saruman fighting back Sauron and the Wraiths while the Hobbit is taking place.

At a Billion dollars a pop, they have more than enough motivation to make two movies, knowing they have a built in audience that would just about walk over coals to see these films.

Voyager
12-20-2007, 10:04 PM
(Hobbit question, you think Andy Serkis would return?)

That's an interesting question since one of the reasons PJ said he couldn't direct was because of the Tin Tin film and Andy Serkis is in that as well. On the other hand, isn't Andy in everything PJ does these days?

childeroland
12-20-2007, 11:20 PM
I keep hearing Sam Raimi's gonna do 'Hobbit' after he finishes 'Drag Me to Hell'

And Slash Film's saying Del Toro might direct. Peter Jackson producing a Del Toro film of 'The Hobbit.'

kristin724
12-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Oh, widescreen is a must. I used to work in a video store adn I was amazed at how many people insisted on full screen. I'm just saying to goes to show you how one person can get his hands on something and really butcher it.

Curious if anyone know why PJ isn't directing. Is this part of the kiss and make up with New Line or after the the stress and drain of lotr, is Pj not wishing to helm?

childeroland
12-23-2007, 09:17 AM
He's booked on the Tintin trilogy.

Oh, widescreen is a must. I used to work in a video store adn I was amazed at how many people insisted on full screen. I'm just saying to goes to show you how one person can get his hands on something and really butcher it.

Curious if anyone know why PJ isn't directing. Is this part of the kiss and make up with New Line or after the the stress and drain of lotr, is Pj not wishing to helm?