Status
Not open for further replies.

NemoBook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInstrumentMovie.com
Hey,

Are there stigmas regarding whether lettering is done by hand or by computer? My illustrator is about to start lettering our 10-page sample mockup, and he said he'd like to do the dialog and SFX by hand, and do the narration by computer. This seems to make sense to me, since it will clearly delineate who's talking, but I was wondering if publishers look down on that kind of typed text as opposed to hand lettering.
thanks,
Adam

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
I think that so long as it's neat, there's nothing wrong with hand lettering. My personal preference just happens to be the computer comic typefaces because my handwriting is admittedly lacking in the neatness department.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
There are also a few good lettering fonts out there free from places like Blambot.

jt

rkbentley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.phantomriders.com
When we started our comic book the first issue we did the caption boxes and dialogue boxes by hand and the dialogue via Quark Express. This had the one down size of not being able to re-size the boxes with ease.

By our fourth issue we had learned a few things and had bought caption boxes/dialogue boxes icons via Comic Craft. We put the dialogue and boxes all in via Photoshop.

I'd recommend tracking down a nice dialogue box/comic text via Comic Craft and forget about doing any of it by hand.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Little known fact--the first comics publisher to create and routinely use a comic book-style computer lettering font was Millennium Publications, back in 1990...starting with the first issue of Anne Rice's The Mummy or Ramses The Damned. The practice was greatly frowned on.

Mainly by letterers.

Go figger.

annericesthemummyorramsesthedamned1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.