PDA

View Full Version : NO!!!!!!!! Another dreadful remake!!!!!!

maxmordon
12-16-2007, 06:53 AM
They already did with The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari... but they have just announced they will start to make one of... Metropolis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvLPZKh3hXs) one of the finest Science Fiction ever!

:(

Is just a matter of time that they make a reamke of Casablanca, Citizen Kane... Star Wars!

:poke::cry:

Straka
12-16-2007, 08:07 AM
I don't see how they could make that and be successful. To modern audiences most of its themes would seen redundant compared to what they've already been exposed too over the years. Then again I couldn’t believe they made I, Robot with Will Smith…

triceretops
12-16-2007, 08:14 AM
I am Legend was kind of a surprise for me, since I did enjoy the Omega Man with Heston.

Yet...get a hold of yourself...are you ready for the remake of Logan's Run in 2010? Bastards. I know somebody is going to say "well, it needs a remake." But...sniff...alas...I grew up on that one. Dang it.

Gee, lets fugg The Time Machine up too, while we're at it. Oh, nail me to the tree of woe and let me contemplate...

Tri

Vincent
12-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Hell, I'm the only person I know who likes Logan's Run. I've been laughed at for liking Logan's Run.

I didn't see the film, but the trailers for The Island sure made it seem like a rip-off of L.G.

childeroland
12-16-2007, 08:50 AM
If they finally get around to remaking Logan's Run

I think that guy who did Van Helsing already screwed up Time Machine, that film with Guy Pearce.

The Metropolis redo will probably be so different no one could relate it at all to the original -- like Premonition as opposed to, say, Jackson's King Kong

maxmordon
12-16-2007, 08:59 AM
The Metropolis redo will probably be so different no one could relate it at all to the original

Could be, or perhaps they could try to do it like the 2005 Caligari remake. Coping every aspect of the movie, but with computer graphics

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vheUoyU2KUQ

Straka
12-16-2007, 09:15 AM
If they try to remake the Marx Brothers, that's the sign of the apocalypse

maxmordon
12-16-2007, 09:36 AM
If they try and remake the Marx Brothers, that's the sign of the apocalypse

And if they try to do it with the Wayans Bros.

BenPanced
12-16-2007, 10:40 AM
:cry:

THEY CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!

Metropolis is my most favorite film ever. Period. I wept tears of joy during the 2002 restoration. I have three copies of it on home video, including the 1984 Moroder restoration (and I like the soundtrack to that one, so :tongue). I first saw it in 1977, shortly after seeing Star Wars for the third or fourth time, and it captured my heart and imagination immediately. I was awestruck at how fascinating the special effects were for 1927 and while the story was choppy and erratic at times, fell in love with it.

Then, about 6 years later working at a library, I found out about the 1984 restoration and read up on the entire history of the film. The fact that so much work was going into restoring it and how much was excised made it all the more interesting.

Finally, flash forward to 2002. To have it this much closer >< to complete since its first release, and to see it on the big screen with its original orchestral accompaniment was a thrill. To see and hear about how much work went into it was just as interesting at the film itself.

To make it even better than the original? It would have to be a word-for-word miniseries adaptation of the book (have two copies of that, then kew). No less than 10 hours long. And make the new Futura even more fascinating, frightening, and beautiful than the original.

I triple dog dare ya.

maxmordon
12-16-2007, 10:52 AM
I share your feelings, Ben. I have the 2002 restoration and whoever tells me that Silent Cinema is just Chaplin and Keaton, I show this one along The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and/or Battleship Potemkin... It's the pure Cinematographic Magic in all its glory. It's an Acomplishment of the Arts, showing what this can produce... It's in my opinion one of the Top Ten most valuable movies of the XX Century...

Thomas Schuehly Is Producing a Remake of Metropolis
Source: Variety Sunday, December 9th, 2007

Producer Thomas Schuehly has acquired all the rights to Fritz Lang's 1927 sci-fi masterwork Metropolis. According to Variety, he will partner with Mario Kassar to bring an updated version of the film to the big screen.

A number of top directors are currently being looked at to helm the project. About the remake, Schuehly stated, "With the overwhelming role technology plays in our daily lives, the growing gap between rich and poor, including the gradual elimination of the middle class, the story of "Metropolis" is a frightening reflection of our society that takes place in an all too possible not too distant future."

The film does not have a set start date at this time. Look for it to go before the camera sometime in mid-2008.

Joe270
12-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Man, I'm really wondering where the art is in Hollywood. Pack of idiots.

I dare them to try to remake "Seven Samurai". There will never be another Toshiro Mufine, ever. It can't be done.

BenPanced
12-16-2007, 11:28 AM
And studios why people aren't going to the movies as often as they used to...

Buncha heartless, soulless hacks...

maxmordon
12-16-2007, 11:43 AM

I dare them to try to remake "Seven Samurai". There will never be another Toshiro Mufine, ever. It can't be done.

I think they did in the form of a Western...

Joe270
12-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah, but that was not a 'remake', but more of a cultural copy.

That could work for many remakes, if they change the cultural core of the original enough.

Set the "Omega Man" in India, China, or Saudi Arabia. The change makes it interesting enough, and if the writing (ahem, sorry, re-writing) is worth a bit of crap, then it could make a great film.

I have a script that's a rewrite of 'Casablanca', BTW. Folks who've read it just loved it. It's no polished work because I knew the futility of it. But it was a nice update, and although it follows the original almost scene for scene, because the mains are different, I doubt most movie-goers would recognize it. The female character was derived from Princes Diana, but written before the divorce. Some folks have said I'm psychic.

Jcomp
12-16-2007, 07:54 PM
I still don't see the big beef with remakes. It's not like they erase the original film version from existence.

ChunkyC
12-16-2007, 07:57 PM
True enough, J. Like a movie based on a novel, the novel still exists no matter what kind of mess the movie ends up being.

I can kinda understand doing an updated remake of a great film to bring the story to a new generation and make it more timely and relevant for a modern audience. Think James Bond, how dated the Sean Connery films are compared with the latest one starring Daniel Craig.

But any remake would have to be really well done so that it can stand on its own. Unfortunately, this seldom seems to happen. Instead, we tend to get lame rehashes that look like they were thrown together as quickly and cheaply as possible to make a fast buck.

With that said, it is frustrating sometimes to see a crappy remake and know that so many people will judge the story based on it, rather than the far superior original film.

childeroland
12-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Actually, someone is remaking Seven Samurai.

childeroland
12-16-2007, 08:32 PM
That's really good, but I bet a near shot-by-shot remake of Metropolis ends up more like Van Sant's Psycho with overused CGI.

Could be, or perhaps they could try to do it like the 2005 Caligari remake. Coping every aspect of the movie, but with computer graphics

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vheUoyU2KUQ

Tony_LaRocca
12-17-2007, 03:31 AM
Reminds me of a Firesign Theatre joke about a remake of Citizen Kane called Kane starring a Jackie Chan-like character, "Cause legends never die- but copyrights... EXPIRE!"

DaddyCat
12-17-2007, 07:49 PM
I want Hollywood to subscribe to my philosophy - "If it's good enough to remake, it's good enough to leave it alone."

Shadow_Ferret
12-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Guess I don't see what's wrong with a remake of Metropolis. Like anyone has ever seen it. It's a silent black and white. I've never seen it. Who bothers to watch anything like that any more? Modernize it, for pete's sake! :tongue

Actually, someone is remaking Seven Samurai.
They already did a remake of that. It was called The Magnificent Seven.

DaddyCat
12-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Hi Shadow_Ferret,

I suppose one could make the case that remaking Ben Hur as a 1950's CinemaScope spectacle was worthwhile. Metropolis, however, suffers from dated concepts (Marxist caricatures of capitalism and a naive view of trade unionism.) A current remake could only hope for one of two outcomes: faithful but pointless, or an ideological rape of the source material to suit someone's idea of "relevance".

jedimaster107
12-18-2007, 04:25 AM
Is just a matter of time that they make a reamke of Casablanca, Citizen Kane... Star Wars!

:Ssh: Ssshhhhh!!!! Lucas might hear you and destory Star Wars even worse then the changes he did for the DVD's.:scared:

childeroland
12-18-2007, 06:30 AM
I mean they're redoing Kurosawa's samurai story, not transferring it to another genre. (I don't know who 'they is' -- project might be dead by now.)

Guess I don't see what's wrong with a remake of Metropolis. Like anyone has ever seen it. It's a silent black and white. I've never seen it. Who bothers to watch anything like that any more? Modernize it, for pete's sake! :tongue

They already did a remake of that. It was called The Magnificent Seven.

Joe270
12-18-2007, 07:50 AM
I mean they're redoing Kurosawa's samurai story, not transferring it to another genre.

Great. Who's gonna star in it, don't tell me, let me guess. Tom Cruise.

Excuse me while I nip off and shoot myself in the head.