PDA

View Full Version : Seinfeld Versus Friends?

seunosewa
12-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Most people (Americans?) seem to think that Seinfeld is a better show, but i prefer Friends because I like the characters. And because they are consistently funny.

What's so great about Seinfeld? Yes, the humor may be very original and borders on genius occasionally, and they made a deliberate attempt to connect with real life, but there are less jokes and some really bad episodes.

Friends on the other hand doesn't have bad episodes. It has good episodes, and some less good episodes. The 6 central characters are funny by themselves. Seinfeld, well, has just two funny characters: Kramer and SeinGeorgeLaine. What do you think?

katiemac
12-16-2007, 01:36 AM
I think the type of humor between the shows is different, so I don't know how comparable they really are.

Still, I'll always choose Friends. I pretty much grew up on it, watching it on reruns and Thursday nights. It's the only show I remember our whole family would watch, and now it's something all my roommates do. It ended in 2004, also the same year I graduated from high school, so it was pretty much the definitive "end of an era" for me.

Shady Lane
12-16-2007, 01:37 AM
I love them both, but...I'd have to say I like Friends better. Though Seinfeld might be the better show.

Siddow
12-16-2007, 01:45 AM
I like them both, but there is a big difference in their platforms. Seinfeld is a commentary on public life, while Friends is a commentary on relationships. Seinfeld focused on the Soup Nazi, getting a table in a restaurant, lying to bosses, while we never felt that the group friendship was in danger. But on Friends, so many of the relationships intertwined in such ways as to always keep us in suspense: will they still be friends tomorrow?

ChunkyC
12-16-2007, 02:23 AM
Honestly, I never found Friends to be very funny at all, whereas I found Seinfeld to be hysterical almost every episode.

Different tastes. :)

Don Allen
12-16-2007, 02:34 AM
I like both shows alot but lean a little towards Seinfield - kind of in the same way I listen John Lennon songs over and over. With Friends I love the charactors and enjoy the stories but once its over I tend to forget about it. However, weeks after I saw a Seinfield episode I'l' realize a "double ent" that was hidden in a joke that just blows me away. Lennon songs are like that, you find something you missed after listening for the 100th time. Both shows great... really hard to pick one over the other but I guess I'd give the edge to Seinfield if for no other reason it really never lost it's edge....

Mjollnir13
12-16-2007, 04:02 AM
Honestly, I never found Friends to be very funny at all, whereas I found Seinfeld to be hysterical almost every episode.

Different tastes. :)

Same here. I never really warmed to Friends but Seinfeld has me crying every time I watch it.:roll:

ChaosTitan
12-16-2007, 06:14 AM
I just don't get the appeal of Seinfeld. Never have.

Friends, on the other hand, always makes me crack up.

As Charlie said, different tastes.

maxmordon
12-16-2007, 06:15 AM
SEINFELD!

Although there is nothing wrong with liking Friends

CACTUSWENDY
12-16-2007, 06:42 AM
Friends....loved it. :D

Shadow_Ferret
12-16-2007, 06:43 AM
The true indicator of whether I will like a show or not is if I can relate to the characters. If I KNOW people like that in real life.

In the case of Seinfeld and Friends, sorry, I don't know anyone like those people. So I never cared for either of them.

III
12-16-2007, 06:56 AM
I hated Friends with a passion. It always seemed so contrived and self-serving. None of the characters rang true, especially Phoebe. Even the title seemed stupid, like they couldn't think of anything so they just called it "Friends". Seinfeld, while the characters didn't seem real and none of them learned how to act until a few seasons in (and Jerry never really did), was hillarious and iconic. No contest - Seinfeld all the way.

CACTUSWENDY
12-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Lol...and Seinfeld was not contrived or self-serving? Lol......

I think maybe more gals liked the friends and more males liked the Seinfeld. Am glad I didn't know anyone in real life like any of them........

as posted by 111

I hated Friends with a passion. It always seemed so contrived and self-serving. None of the characters rang true, especially Phoebe. Even the title seemed stupid, like they couldn't think of anything so they just called it "Friends". Seinfeld, while the characters didn't seem real and none of them learned how to act until a few seasons in (and Jerry never really did), was hillarious and iconic. No contest - Seinfeld all the way.

blacbird
12-16-2007, 07:52 AM
I always found "Friends" bordering on unwatchable. I never saw anything about it that separated it from any of two dozen other fluff sitcoms that got cancelled after one or two seasons. It needed to have Kramer bust in through that apartment door a few times.

caw

Gary
12-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Just to throw in one more variation...I've never seen a single episode of either show.

Vincent
12-16-2007, 04:41 PM
While both shows employed the laugh-track, I found it an invaluable assistance when watching Friends. Otherwise, how would I know which parts were funny?

Julie Worth
12-16-2007, 05:17 PM
While both shows employed the laugh-track, I found it an invaluable assistance when watching Friends. Otherwise, how would I know which parts were funny?

Exactly! In 1997 Seinfeld turned down $5 million/episode to continue the show, while the cast of Friends was just breaking 100 thousand. Going by the money alone, Seinfeld is 50 times better.

Anyway, why isn't there a poll?

Lyra Jean
12-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Not that I watch either show with regularity but I do like Seinfeld better than Friends. Although if something else is on like X-Files or CSI: Miami I would watch that over either of the shows.

KTC
12-16-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm with Katie...the humor is completely different between the two shows. I probably watch Friends reruns more often...but I think Seinfeld is by far the better show. Just the amount of stuff going on in each episode is overwhelming. When I watch a rerun I'm surprised by how many memorable events are in the same episode...while in my memory I saw them all as separate episodes. Every show was just packed full of funny.

KTC
12-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Having said the Seinfeld was my choice...I absolutely love Friends. We can never pick our favourite Friends character. Mine..today, is Phoebe...but tomorrow it could be Joey and the next day Chandler Bing. I love the show and relate to pretty much every character. It's a great escape.

seunosewa
12-16-2007, 09:57 PM
I probably watch Friends reruns more often...but I think Seinfeld is by far the better show.
If Seinfeld is a better show, then why do you watch Friends more often?

BenPanced
12-16-2007, 10:02 PM
If those are my choices, I'll pick That Girl.

KTC
12-16-2007, 10:49 PM

Because where I am you could probably watch Friends around the clock. Seinfeld is on a few times a day, but not as often.

BenPanced
12-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Having said the Seinfeld was my choice...I absolutely love Friends. We can never pick our favourite Friends character. Mine..today, is Phoebe...but tomorrow it could be Joey and the next day Chandler Bing. I love the show and relate to pretty much every character. It's a great escape.

Because where I am you could probably watch Friends around the clock. Seinfeld is on a few times a day, but not as often.
You obviously have the wrong cable package. Upgrade to more channels!

robeiae
12-17-2007, 12:01 AM
My problem--well, my biggest problem--with Friends was that I despised all of the characters, except for Chandler. Not from the beggining, mind you, but that's where I ended up. They were all so narcisitic, pathetic, and obnoxious. Plus, only Ross and Chandler could hold down a stinkin' job.

Now, you might say that the characters on Seinfeld are just as despicable--as far as human beings go--and I would agree completely. The difference is, Friends was written in such a way as to present those losers as real people that I should actually care about. Seinfeld presented them for what they were, which made it infinitely funnier, imo.

Still, there is no more annoying and obnoxious character than Rachel in all of TV history. Ugh.

Storyteller5
12-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Still, there is no more annoying and obnoxious character than Rachel in all of TV history. Ugh.

The whole Ross-Rachel-on-again-off-again storyline made me quit watching that show. I wanted them to break up because they were nauseating together. I never liked him and she got annoying.

I think these two shows were directed at slightly different audiences.

And besides, if you are picking at the shows for realism, look at the apartments. Yeah, right!

jenngreenleaf
12-17-2007, 01:08 AM
I love Friends because I've always wished I had a group of friends like that. :) Silly, I know. I'm addicted to the re-runs. :)

Tony_LaRocca
12-17-2007, 03:29 AM
Sigh... the post subject was making me hope you were talking about some kind of deathmatch...

ChaosTitan
12-17-2007, 07:14 AM
Sigh... the post subject was making me hope you were talking about some kind of deathmatch...

Jerry & Kramer versus Chandler & Joey, in a steel cage match.

Who would win? :tongue

eldragon
12-17-2007, 07:22 AM
If those are my choices, I'll pick That Girl.
We were recently given at least one season of That Girl on dvd, and it was really a good show! Marlo Thomas was just beautiful and adorable!

I don't watch any TV now and never really have. Especially sitcoms. If I watch them at all, it's after they are off, and I grab the collection and watch them all at once. I've done that with Rosanne, which I love and it really got better with each season.

One episode of Seinfeld always strikes me as funny - when George C. tried to tip someone by putting a dollar in the jar - and the man didn't see him - so he (George) snatched the dollar back to tip him again - and the man thought he was taking a dolllar! So funny!

Friends? I don't know. I watches some of them, but they never held my interest. Same old tired plot ...

blacbird
12-17-2007, 07:27 AM
They were all so narcisitic, pathetic, and obnoxious.

My exact reaction after watching one episode of Friends. I watched a couple more, just to be sure. Got real sure. Didn't watch any more. The popularity of this show just completely mystifies me.

caw

Williebee
12-17-2007, 07:57 AM
I really need an Orlando Bloom on this one.

I can safely say that i have never seen an entire episode of either show.

Death Wizard
12-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Friends never did much for me. I'm a Seinfeld guy all the way.

MattW
12-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Isn't the real question Cosby vs Cheers?

Bmwhtly
12-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Seinfeld, baby!

I used to watch Friends a good long while ago. But looking back, I can't see why.

Apart from anything else, the characters on Friends are all so Nice. They do the right thing, confess their mistakes, have consciences. And who wants to watch Nice people when you could watch the lying, conniving Seinfeld people?
Exactly.

seunosewa
12-17-2007, 03:01 PM
And who wants to watch Nice people when you could watch the lying, conniving Seinfeld people?
You must be surrounded by nice people in your real life.

Bmwhtly
12-17-2007, 04:33 PM
You must be surrounded by nice people in your real life.Certainly not.

KTC
12-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Certainly not.

When you're an ass-hat, you seem to attract ass-hats. Like attracts like, Benny. (-;

Bmwhtly
12-17-2007, 05:01 PM
... you're an ass-hat... Like attracts likeThat explains why I like Seinfeld. The characters are ass-hats, but likeable with it.
Like attracts like.

NikeeGoddess
12-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Jerry & Kramer versus Chandler & Joey, in a steel cage
the thought of this question is the only thing that made me laugh in this entire thread.

back on topic: SEINFELD all the way, baby!
i can practically relate every incident/episode to a moment in real life. their humor is based on the small, nitpicky things in life.

my biggest problem w/Friends - they're all too waspy. and how can you live in NYC and not have any friends of color?! atleast on Seinfeld they made this issue an entire episode (w/George).