William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it is a fine thing indeed to be ourselves, to say what we feel and what we mean and what we believe, and have people agree.

a finer thing, even, is to have them like us because of the affinity they feel, that flash of recognition of a kindred spirit, and still finer is it for them to feel that affinity so acutely that they would press a magic button that allows them to leave you a brief message of support, of fondness, of reaching from another life into yours in a positive way.

but it is a hollow and meaningless exercise to not say what we feel and what we mean and what we believe, only so people will like us... not us though, you see, for pretense and a desire for love has driven us to be other than what we are.

so, if we can recognize that honesty and clarity and truth to our own natures is paramount, then we must really examine the weight we lend to the reactions of others.

if people agree or praise or are drawn to us, the true us, we can appreciate that and enjoy it knowing a real connection has been made.

but if, in the course of being who we are and saying what we truly believe, others react with hostility, or disgust, or derision, that connection is no less real.

the finest thing of all is being able to accept both.

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
But I want everyone to love me! :cry:

Okay, not really...either you like me or you don't. Whatever. :)

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I hate you, Mr. Haskins.

(I went with the less wordy version.) :D

Reaction score
I totally 'got' the OP. Whether this should worry me or not, I don't know. ;)

Hmm.

But it came at exactly the right time. How strange.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I heart Haskins.

That is all.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Four times, so far, I've made what I believe to be true and deep friendships out of the ranks of clever posters here at AW. I found that I agree with them so often that I actually feel a little less alone in my head. They have made my world much bigger and, in some lovely ways, much smaller.

A further two dozen or so members have become happy acquaintances that could, should time and circumstance allow, develop into deeper kinship and I'd host them - any and all - for a party, if they strayed to my side of the mountain.

But twice, I've railed against people here, both publicly and in PMs and the conversations spawned by their obvious idiocy in the face of my righteousness led me to an appreciation of honesty, and of them in particular. It's these two relationships that stand out in a branding sort of way. I have been a bitch and they countered. I'm still a bitch. They are still misguided and wrong. But they have points of view, and even jokes and support, to offer. I love my enemy-friends. I hope they love me.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Lost my fucking reply damnit. And it was profound. shit shit shit.

It's taken me years to develop the ability to construct a considered response during the course of real-time, real-life conversations. Preparing and submitting responses in an on-line forum is a breeze, comparatively speaking. Just wanted to chime in to say that I agree with your OP. But here, let me let Lerner and Loewe say it for me:

I have often walked down this street before;
But the pavement always stayed beneath my feet before.
All at once am I Several stories high.
Knowing I'm on the street where you live.
Are there lilac trees in the heart of town?
Can you hear a lark in any other part of town?
Does enchantment pour Out of ev'ry door?
No, it's just on the street where you live!
And oh! The towering feeling
Just to know somehow you are near.
The overpowering feeling
That any second you may suddenly appear!
People stop and stare. They don't bother me.
For there's no where else on earth that I would rather be.
Let the time go by, I won't care if I
Can be here on the street where you live.

Last edited:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I don't care how many times you try, Haskins, I'll never forget that meanie face smilie from September 24th, 1995. Never. (sniff!)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
And I'll never be able to figure out why people have to be little - as in petty - in rep comments. They don't express a differing view point or disagree... they just like to express their delusions of superiority - mainly 'cause they're too cowardly to express them publicly like Haskins.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I agree with the OP. I try to live my life treating everyone with respect and hope I get that respect in return, and I give everyone the benefit of the doubt upfront. Until they give me a reason not to. I try to be careful with my words so I don't unintentionally insult anyone, so on the rare occasion I do say something insulting, I mean it. I don't attack people but stick up for myself when I feel attacked.

Over the years I've learned that I have enough friends. I love meeting new people and making new friends, and I've made a few good friends in my short time here at AW, but I've learned when to cut my losses. I don't expect everyone to like me, but I don't go out of my way to give them a reason.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Everyone can kiss my ass. Or not kiss my ass.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't expect everyone to like me, but I don't go out of my way to give them a reason.

Bull CRAP! Oh wait...do you mean you don't give us a reason to like you or you don't give us a reason to hate you? That was very unclear in your response. Focus, MelMel. Damn! I don't like you because of your backgrounds...but that's more jealousy than anything else. I do like you because you demand that I live the new tenet that Taco Bell is not Mexican food. Also...you are really freaking crazy. This aspect of your Melness has me sitting on the fence. I'm guessing you're a really, really good PUNCH BUGGY player...so this makes me hate you a little bit too. But that's sheer speculation. We should have a WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MEL thread...

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I had an aquantence at work who once who told me that his best quality was that he was "brutally honest" to people and that although many did not like his comments everyone respected them. After working with him for some time and on several occassions being the focus of his honesty, I realized that he took some perverse pleasure in pointing out the flaws of others. He wasn't honest, he was just mean spirited. I' ve aged enough to know the difference and can usually tell in a heart beat if someone is misguided, misinformed, or just plain ignorant. I don't feel the need to point out other peoples short comings nor take any pleasure in putting someone down. There is a lot of that around here. I find Mr. Haskins to be if nothing else consistent, very matter of fact, and quick to make his point. Probably not someone I'd want to get shit faced with and talk treason, but someone who's opinion I'd take seriously regarding any questions I might have regarding my wip...

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
When I was younger, I wanted to everyone to like me, but now that I'm older, I still would rather be liked than disliked, but I really don't care. You go your way and I'll go mine. But like me, please like me.:)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
There are some people I just don't care for, but outside the truly evil, I hope that it doesn't prevent them from enjoying the things they would. My approval really isn't that weighty.