The decline of American speech

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I watched Survivor last night and if I had a quarter for all the times any one of these geniuses said "like" I'd be a rich woman indeed. What is up with the overuse of this word? I can't even concentrate on what people are saying for having to weed through the distraction of "like"s.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Drives me nuts too. But I see it (in some cases) as almost like a stutter. When a person gets stuck for words they throw in a "like" to give them a second to think about what they wanted to say. In high school, I had a teacher that said "um" constantly, to the point of distraction. I think the word "like" has become sort of the same thing. Unfortuately, it's just as distracting as saying "um".

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
The verbal crutch that drives me crazy is "you know". After a few "you know"'s I'm ready to go postal.

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
The verbal crutch that drives me crazy is "you know". After a few "you know"'s I'm ready to go postal.

Even worse is the dreaded "innit", which is chav-speak for "isn't it" and tacked onto the end of almost every sentence in the same manner as "you know".

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
"Look" has to be the most condescending way to start a sentence.

(although I guess FACT might be a little condescending)

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
The bane of filler words. I had a girl in a creative writing class, very smart but used "like" for every other word. Didn't sound like a ditz in the slightest but it was still really freakin' annoying. One day the professor got to fed up with it that while she was talking he got up and wrote the word "like" on the board in huge letters. It's amazing how often you say it when you're made aware of it even if you think you don't say it that often. Barack Obama is a notorious filler word user. He sounds like a jug band at times. I remember hearing a report on the news saying that the main reason people use filler words is because they're afraid of silence. People feel that by having something there instead of nothing it sounds better. Yeah, because, um, like, you know, this is, like, uh, so much, um, better, you know?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever happened to thinking before you speak? There should be classes on extemporaneous speaking in school. I happen to love silence. There's nothing like people hanging on your words and waiting with bated breath for the next one to emerge.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Whatever happened to thinking before you speak? There should be classes on extemporaneous speaking in school. I happen to love silence. There's nothing like people hanging on your words and waiting with bated breath for the next one to emerge.

Silence could be awkward, however, when you're trying to impress that special lady...

... but then, there are times when the silence and shy glances are so frigging sexy. Sexual tensions are great.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Silence could be awkward, however, when you're trying to impress that special lady...

... but then, there are times when the silence and shy glances are so frigging sexy. Sexual tensions are great.
The biggest problem with silence during conversations is when it comes about because I've forgotten what the hell I was talking about. Then I usually have to admit that I've forgotten what the hell I was talking about, and then that's kind of embarrassing.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Stating the obvious: spend your television time watching more intelligent shows than Survivor, and you won't be so annoyed by, like, the stupid people on it.

Siddow, who will admit her guilty pleasure is Desperate Housewives.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
"Do you know what I'm saying?" and "Look..."

Yes yes and "real good." One of my pet peeves is perhaps not quite in the throat of this thread but-To tell you the truth-does that mean you are otherwise always bullshitting me?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Yes yes and "real good." One of my pet peeves is perhaps not quite in the throat of this thread but-To tell you the truth-does that mean you are otherwise always bullshitting me?
Yes, those little time-wasting expressions like "if I'm being honest" (and if you're not?) or "at the end of the day" really get on my nerves.

I know reality shows rot your brain. I just can't help it.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I confess, I'm a "like" speaker. I've been trying to break the habit, but ugh... at least I'm aware of it. :D

"I mean" drives me nuts - my husband uses it all the time and I'm thinking, "I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!! I understand English!" He also says "Point in case" when he means "Case in point". Drives me batty

like, y'know ;)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
If I wanted to listen to a bunch of wankers unable to speak properly, I'd come out to my town centre tonight. Like.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
"Join me on the bandwagon of my own uncertainty(?)." LOVE it! Thanks for sharing.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Even worse is the dreaded "innit", which is chav-speak for "isn't it" and tacked onto the end of almost every sentence in the same manner as "you know".

Or the similar "dinnit" for didn't...that one drives me up the wall along with the previously mentioned like, you know, and real god.

Another one I personally don't like is "Yup". I had my daughter's school principal once say "Yup" over and over to every statement I made when discussing an issue until I lost my temper and said, "Yup! Is that what you consider good English? Do you think that the constant use of "yup" sets a good example for our children?" To which she answered (truly), "Yup"!

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
and let's not forget LOLcatz.

Are those those weird cat pictures with pseudo-English on them? It takes me five minutes to figure out what the four words say on those things.

All internet speak in general is atrocious. I don't understand how anyone can read it. And from what I know, kids actually hand in class papers in garbage like that. If I were a teacher, my stipulation from the beginning, hand in anything not of the standard English that we all know and love and you automatically fail. It actually takes me time to type in normal speak than it does in that slang stuff.