Questions Concerning what is appropriate for a YA novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyRoo

The pretzel in an egg!
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of question about what kids can "handle" when they read.

But think about all the video games today, think about the fact that most kids where I live saw their first 15 rated film when they were about 10.

I would highly recommend having a look at the Cherub series by Robert Muchamore. It's got violence, sex, language, drugs, prostitution etc and 11 year olds read it, and do you know why? Becuase the characters in it are that age, and deal with those kinds of issues. These things are a reality, not just in fantasy book worlds, but in estates and schools all over.

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
But just because they read it, doesn't mean they are emotionally mature enough to handle it. To believe so would be the same as thinking that 11-year olds who commit crimes should be tried as adults.

And I really dislike it when people say that sex and drugs and prostitution are "all over" the middle schools. That's simply not true. Of course it's around, but it's not like every 12 year old is having sex. Far from it. But keep spreading that message, and soon, maybe, they will be.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
There's already a thread on this topic here:

Edgy YA

It's a good read. I suggest reading through it, if only for book recommendations.

RubyRoo

The pretzel in an egg!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying all twelve year olds are HAVING sex I am saying they are well AWARE of it. Dumbing things down isn't going to help. Willread the thread... thanks!

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
There definitely are 12 yos having sex, though. And while there are many middle schoolers who don't know about sex and drugs and such, there are some who do. And books that deal with that, even a little, might be attractive to them, so they'd read. Not every middle schooler wants to read about a first kiss (nothing's wrong with those books,either). Some want to read about people taking chances and risks. Maybe it could even stop them from doing it themselves. And at least that way they'd be reading and would probably continue reading.

Right now, "middle school" books are about sports and friends and crushes. Lots of kids are over that by seventh and eighth grade. That's why Gossip Girls, and similar books, are so popular with that age group. They want scandal, sex, drugs, etc. just because it's different from "Oh, Alice likes Timmy...will they dance together?!?! Will he TOUCH HER HAND?!?!?!" I mean, once again, nothing wrong with those books...but they're not for everyone.

I think all age groups need diversity. YA is getting better with that, but there's still a lot that is considered "a hard sell" and is rejected at the query level because of it when I know there are tons and tons of people who would read it. The same is probably true for middle school level books...

Oh, and that Edgy YA tread is great...lol

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder this sometimes, too. My story has what could be construed as a near rape, depending on how you interpret the scene. It also deals with religious persecution. And, I think all this is fine, based on what I've read. Then, I doubt myself, wondering if it's appropriate. I know I could have handled it at that age, though. I think it varies from person to person.

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
I think that any subject matter can be introduced to this age group, but it can be done in a responsible way. And I don't mean preachy, because this is supposed to be entertainment, not school. Though they might not have the maturity to handle certain situations if it happened to them (hell, most adults I know wouldn't have the maturity to handle rape), it's a completely different thing to read about it. I personally have a problem with books that address certain issues as side-notes, with an "everybody's doing it" air, as if "it" is perfectly acceptable and void of consequences.

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
I'm not quite sure what the point of this new thread is. Is it to answer questions about edginess or to ask them?

Seems to me that you write the book you want/need to write and then the publishing houses/editors get the final say over how far it goes, you know? Whether they buy it is gonna depend on your treatment of the subject matter and how comfortable they are with it.

gracewithfire

not what but how

I agree with the idea that it might not really be what the subject matter is but how it's handled-- whether in a sensitive, life-affirming way or not. I even believe the challenge for the writer lies there. Children/YA already live with some of these stuff; who's pointing to them alternative realities of how these could be dealt with?

I haven't done YA yet but I'm setting my sights there, too. I've written only for younger ages, and with delicate topics, and so far, they have been received well by the readers in my country, although initially meeting opposition from some huffy-puffy "experts" who said kids aren't ready for the topics I've introduced yet.

Well, for me, the bottom line is how a writer touches her readers and how they respond to what is written.

Thanks,
Jeanette
P.S. Thanks too, for the Edgy YA thread tip!

HourglassMemory

Registered
Reaction score
I think it has to do with the way you talk about it.
If you go all philosophical and lecture on ethics on the kids, they won't read it.

On the matter of violence....well.....I've seen picture books with jesus being crucified...That should give you an idea.

You just don't have to describe tooooooo detailed.
For example...talking about cutting the head of an evil guy.
You can talk about the MC swinging his sword and a head falling on the floor.
don't talk about the convolusions of the body or the spilling blood or the panic and pain on the face of the dead man. That's just weird.

Don't say much....but say it in a different way.

Last edited:

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
I have written two YA novels now, one titled, "Sweet Revenge," the other, "GERTA!"

SR is about how YAs handle death, revenge, and bullyism (is that a word?). GERTA is about being unattractive and also deals with rape, and pregnancy.

Both, I think, can be considered edgy, I suppose. Thought I'm not writing them to be edgy, but to entertain, and maybe without being preachy, help kids learn how they can handle these subjects if they should affect their lives.

In GERTA, I do not describe all the sordid happenings and descriptions surrounding the rape. I describe it as having happened and leave it at that. The main point is how the characters react to the rape, and resultant pregnancy.

Additionally, even though some of my characters use vulgarity, even the "F"-word, I never use vulgarity in my writing. I find more creative ways to describe their language, even if "shock value" is intended, and I think it works. I would not be ashamed to have my wife, kids, friends, or my religious leaders read these books. In fact, many of them have endorsed my writing.

Just something else to consider when writing YA literature.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
If it's well written and necessary to the story, adult language, sex, drugs, religious philosophies, etc. should all be on the table for YA. Not so sure about MG but I don't think you can discount what these kids are capable of handling. So long as it's not gratuitous you've got to be able to pull the edgy stuff out of your arsenal otherwise your books will be less relevant than a lot of other stuff that's being published these days.

gracewithfire

I agree with the last four posts.

I think what will keep a writer on track is if he/she is clear about the overall message he/she wants to get across in the story; that will keep them away from the danger of writing edgy for edgy's sake... and come out as all shock, no substance. Well, eventually, if it's written that way, even the shock wears off after a quick while... ;)

Jeanette

Status
Not open for further replies.