urban fairy tales - bad or good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanallefish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
howewriter2000.4t.com
For some reason, this past year I've gotten stuck in a rut of writing them. Basically they run about the same as your generic fairy tale (I mean like Grimm), but with a more urban setting. Yes, I write fairy tales time to time but this is ridiculous! I'd love to know why but I think it's asking too much:)

What I really want to know is if it's a bad idea (and therefore I should wop myself upside the head to change them) or a good one.

If it's a good one (theoretically) does anyone know of markets that might take this?

I'm at a loss, personally.

Indirectly

Registered
Reaction score
Is this something like Urban Fantasy? Are they contemporary urban fairy tale retellings? Or not contemporary, just urban?

IMO it's not a bad idea at all. But I'm a huge fan of the fairy tales collected by the Grimm brothers. :D

Indirectly

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's very much like Urban Fantasy - just more of a fairytale-voice.

Personally, I would like to see more of that.

I am sure there's a market for it, although I don't have any specific suggestions beyond the usual ways we search for agents/publishers. I'd look for similar books/stories and see who published/repped them, otherwise I might stick with people who represent Urban Fantasy.

The only hestitation with UF is that it usually has a more contemporary street-smart voice, but it seems like a decent place to start.

Danthia

What matters is "Is it a great story?" If yes, you're golden, if no, it doesn't matter. Write what you're passionate about and don't worry about the small stuff. Make it a great story and the rest will follow.

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
I personally love that kind of stuff! :D

I'm a big fan of Charles deLint and he writes a lot of urban fantasy. I think that Danthia's right...if it's a good story, go with it.

ProtoMatic

Registered
Reaction score
If you like writing it, how can it be a bad idea? There's bound to be people who like that sort of thing. (Me for example.)

I love Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, and I really can't classify that as anything but "urban fairy tale". (Not that I did before, not having heard the expression :D )

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Realms of Fantasy seem to publish a good few 'updated' fairy tales - done very well of course

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
There is a market for updated fairy tales and myths. I could have sworn I bookmarked a webzine that looks specifically for these types of stories, but now I can't find it. Gak!

Danthia

Doodlebug, I just finished de Lint's "The Blue Girl" last night. Great book. Do you know if has more with those characters or world? He has a list of book in the fornt but it doesn't say which (if any) are a series.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
For some reason, this past year I've gotten stuck in a rut of writing them. Basically they run about the same as your generic fairy tale (I mean like Grimm), but with a more urban setting. Yes, I write fairy tales time to time but this is ridiculous! I'd love to know why but I think it's asking too much:)

What I really want to know is if it's a bad idea (and therefore I should wop myself upside the head to change them) or a good one.

If it's a good one (theoretically) does anyone know of markets that might take this?

I'm at a loss, personally.

I think it's a great idea, sounds like the kind of thing I'd really like to read.

Dru

Professionally Paranoid
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Danthia,

Most of deLint's books are in Newford. It looks like Blue Girl is one of those, so yes, there are plenty more.

Status
Not open for further replies.