Not open for further replies.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check out my first posts ever!

I guess I got rankled for some reason and came to some fellow AWC fellows defense. Prior to this I was a long time lurker:

Humor Writing

HOW DO I SELL MY PIECE ????

Hugh Mur

(11/8/02 4:03 am

I know I have to send it to a paper, but can sumone explain 2 things to me;
1) what rights do i sell the paper/magazine etc ??
2) How much should I ask ? (my essay is just under 700 words (approx), so what is the average amount of money I should 'demand' ???

thanx

eraser
Unregistered User
(11/8/02 10:01 am)
[[[[NOTE: Some people were shy back then!]]]

Hugh, I think you're getting a wee bit ahead of yourself.

Many of your questions have been asked, and answered on previous threads on this, and other sections of the water cooler. Spending several hours sifting through old threads on the various boards may not be fun, but it will provide a solid base for you.

Among them, you'll find MANY suggestions regarding purchasing, and studying the latest edition of Writer's Market. It is absolutely essential that every aspiring writer have a copy of this book. Having done so, it's then nearly-essential to sign on to their online version, which is updated regularly.

The first 100-odd pages of WM provide a terrific overview for the beginner. The rest of the book details thousands of periodicals with information from each as to:what material they want-rights they purchase-rates paid-format required-etc.

There's no short-cut to success in this business. Believe me, I spent a goodly portion of the 70's and 80's trying to find one.

But if this board had existed then, I could have shaved off a decade or so.

If you spend a week studying old threads here and the latest WM you'll be good to go.

(! Smiley) Not Helpful

Hugh Mur

Eraser, that wasn't very helpful, all I wanted was to get an idea of how much people r getting for their piece these days, i don't have time to read through all the messages, i want up to date information, just to give me an idea, and I do not think that i am geting ahead of myself !!

eraser
Unregistered User
(11/8/02 10:43 pm)

:)

gia052505

I may be wrong, but don't you typically get guidelines and sample copies to figure out where to send your work? I'm guessing that the company's payscale is found within their guidelines. Right? Certainly you have time to read through guidelines! Or maybe not.?

eraser
Unregistered User

Ok, I'll be more specific.

People are getting from $0.00-$2000.00+ for their pieces these days.

batyler65
[enter Barb into the foray]

Peace, Guys, please!

Here's a general answer for your question: There is not fast way to freelance. No shortcuts. No get rich quick (or possibly ever)
smile.gif

For starters, the ideal rights to sell are first rights. However, lots of magazines buy whatever rights they want or they don't buy at all. I'm assuming newspapers work the same way. As for what to charge, you really don't get a say. They have a pay range and will offer you as low as they can. You can negotiate up, but just starting out you will probably have to settle for the lower end of the scale.

Next, don't ever use the word "demand" to an editor, even in fun. They are touchy creatures and easily ruffled. I think it comes from hours of reading work by people who don't do their homework first. Which brings me to the next step: Read the publication you want to write for. You'll increase your chance of a sale by aiming your submission at the best "Target".

Now, to back up Eraser, I agree. The best thing to do is read old posts. You don't have to read every one. Look for ones that reflect the questions you have, skip the others. Be patient, invest the time. And please don't get bent out of shape at the suggestion that you read old posts. Please remember, our time is limited, too and no less valuable than yours.

Barb

Me again

Hugh Mur

I am not trying to find a way to 'get rich quick' I was just curious as to how much money a writer can get for their piece, I was not searching for a way to get thousands of dollars real quick.

marie ohmy

hugh,

i think if you want to know how much money you can get from selling your piece, the 'erotica' section of the board might be more appropriate.
smile.gif

sorry, couldn't resist that.

Funny ha ha

Hugh Mur

Thats funny, you should get someone to write that down for you

Now now

marie ohmy

no need to get all ruffled.....and thanks, i thought it was funny too.....use it if you like.....i don't think i'll find too many opportunities to use that line again (unfortunately--if only i'd get questions like that more often
smile.gif
)

good luck hugh!

xxm

mammamaia3
(11/12/02 3:44 pm)

to hugh mur...

i've just scanned your other posts on these boards and as you've admitted to being a beginner, wonder if maybe you could use some help?... i mentor aspiring writers of all breeds, all over the world by email... for free... and i'd be glad to give your work a critical read and let you what it needs [if anything] to be marketable... you can reach me at: [email protected]

i'll send you some info on what i do, how and why... plus feedback from mentees...

love and hugs, maia

Hugh Mur
(11/12/02 4:38 pm)

Thanx

Thank you Mia, I will send you a couple of samples in the next couple of weeks.

rtilryarms
(11/15/02 10:28 am)

let me get this straight

You came on this board asking for advice. Someone took of his time to make a reply. You didn't hear what you wanted to hear so you get ruffled. Then someone makes a joke, on a humor board of all places, and you get mad and insulting.

I for one appreciate all the advice.

marie ohmy
(11/15/02 3:26 pm)

shhhh

maybe he's sensitive 'cause it's a small piece.

ok, i'm shutting up before i really get slammed .....i'm really just joshing with you....best of luck to you all.

xxm

rtilryarms
(11/16/02 9:50 am)

Re: shhhh

It's not the size of the piece.....................

mammamaia3
(11/17/02 3:46 pm)

okay, guys...

... you've got me rotflmho... quit it, willya???

marie ohmy
(11/18/02 12:25 am)

hmmm

only guys with small pieces say that. it's why i avoid 'you're only as old as you feel' lest everyone know that i'm flippin' old....

xxm

rtilryarms
(11/19/02 10:45 am)

Re: hmmm

I thought the saying went:
Your only old if you can't feel it, or if it can't feel you.

marie ohmy
(11/19/02 12:06 pm)

don't ask me?

what do i know.....i'm close to being able to plan my own surprise party......

and be surprised

on the upside, i still think there's a chance 'old yeller' might live.
smile.gif

xxm

lbasie
(12/1/02 12:49 pm)

Re: don't ask me?

Hugh, Rtilryarms and Marie's one-liners aside (you two are a riot btw) Eraser's answer was right on target.

Freelancing isn't just about writing. It is also about researching. And, if you research the water cooler and the Wririter's Market, you may find answers to questions you didn't even know to ask.

Is it always fun? No. But it should always be interesting.

rtilryarms
(12/4/02 9:24 am)

Re: don't ask me?

I have written technical papers and some articles. It is a lot of hard work. If everything is not exactly accurate, get ready for some extremely personal and candid mail. I just spent the last 7 years working on a project. It is especially difficult in that it deals with history in a City from 1885 to the present. It is a true mystery. If I am not accurate in every detail, I will be writing my next story from debtors prison.

I take on some hard projects but writing is by far the most dificult.

Mike

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mike, so glad you came out of lurkdom. AW just wouldn't be the same without your special brand of participation!

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Goodness. Exactly how long have I been babysitting, er, watching this forum, anyway? Ditto, Frank. Ditto.

I'm glad you hopped on the humor train, Mike. It's good to have you.

Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.